Kingie Frenzy

namesay

Dave how did you go with those samsons in WA? I am still thinking about them. THe kings are making up for them in the meantime :1prop:

I am getting my new boat this week. She just had a prop change as the engine wasn't getting to the right revs and she is now ready for action.

Should be on the water in either the new or old boat on wednesday for another round with the kings.....I just can't get enough. I think there is a song like that. CHeers Kelvin

Another nice report Kelvin and nice of you to help a friend. Can you help me with the squid?

Cheers kurt

Catching squid is the secret to kingfish in the harbour. They aren't that hard to source at the moment as the warm water is making them active. They can be caught in good numbers even in broad daylight.

I have been using that egi squid spray to devastating effect on the squid. ALso works on sluggos!

Just a hint with jigs, get the best you can afford...that means Yozuri, yamashita etc. The smaller jigs catch more than larger ones. Have good light casting gear and work the jig slow.

As with all other type of lure fishing, squidding is all about practice and moving to find your quarry. Stick to water 2-7meters for most effective areas. Deeper water can be fished but it is hard to keep the smaller jigs in the strike zone.

By the way, Danny ( Barrykrocker ) is becoming an excellent squidder. He has been practising all that we have been talking about. Getting some good kings as well. Will be finishing his apprenticeship real soon to be fully qualified in kings!!! CHeers Kelvin

Well Kelvin, sounds like Sunday must have got you exicited... you have been active a lot online today with posts and replies... (either that or your were bored at work)

Can't wait to see your new boat....

Hope Danny's Jonah-itis improves so he fishes as well as he squids.... don't want to see you give any more of those kings the easy way off.... keep the rod tip up and the pressure on.....

(Don't know about Kelvin's Banana theory... he has always been more ass than class :pokey: he may be the only one rubbing bananas on the lure or bait works for...)..haha

Thanks Kelvin,

Are the 1.8 yozuri's the small ones? Saw a few squid on Sunday attack our jigs in the middle but not hook up. We probably stayed at the one spot too long but view this as research time to practice our technique. Once the fish started to show up the squid disappeared.

Wil keep at it

Cheers

Kurt

Dave how did you go with those samsons in WA? I am still thinking about them. THe kings are making up for them in the meantime :1prop:

I am getting my new boat this week. She just had a prop change as the engine wasn't getting to the right revs and she is now ready for action.

Should be on the water in either the new or old boat on wednesday for another round with the kings.....I just can't get enough. I think there is a song like that. CHeers Kelvin

G'day Kelvin,

Mate, I'm trying to tee up a date with Al B as we speak, looking at end of Feb, but it look like the Sambo has stated to do the run south, I'll keep you posted.

may end up taking the boat and fallow you to the harbor to chase the king instead if I can't get my fix in WA.. :biggrin2:

How do one get to fish mid week!! :wife::wife:

Yeah , keep us posted about your boat...

Cheers

Dave

Hi namesay,

great to hear you have been braining the kings, it makes life easier when you know how to catch squid indeed.. the harbour is a snack compared to botany bay! You just need to tell me how to get past the rats when the fish are on, as thats all we seem to catch as they are way too quick!

Also, how do you set your line in the rigger clip, how much effort is required to pull it from the clip?

Cheers

Sammy

Thanks Kelvin,

Are the 1.8 yozuri's the small ones? Saw a few squid on Sunday attack our jigs in the middle but not hook up. We probably stayed at the one spot too long but view this as research time to practice our technique. Once the fish started to show up the squid disappeared.

Wil keep at it

Cheers

Kurt

Hi Kurt, theres a technique to hooking/Spiking the squid when they hit the jig in the middle, I let them take it for around a metre ( open the bail arm) and then real quickly lock it and jag them.....works 90% of th time as it slides the jig real quickly through their tenticles and gets them spiked.

Edited by netic

Hi guy's.

How would a paternoster rig go for squiding? I have a tendency to get snagged alot.

Mark

SOme people use a paternoster with great results, very popular set up in areas like the spit and off wharfs.

In areas that i get my squid the paternoster rig would not be so effective as it has heavy weed beds and it would get snagged almost everytime

SOme people use a paternoster with great results, very popular set up in areas like the spit and off wharfs.

In areas that i get my squid the paternoster rig would not be so effective as it has heavy weed beds and it would get snagged almost everytime

I would of thought the Paternoster would keep the rig off the bottom away from the weed??

I don't like using a paternoster rig but others have great success with them. The areas i squid are shallow so a paternoster will only get snagged up. I also like the jig to HANG in the water and the yozuris and yamashitas are great for this.

Sammy the rats are EVERYWHERE at the moment but there are definitely bigger fish to be found. Use large baits and fish in areas where the rats aren't so prolific. Gives the bigger guys a chance to find your bait.

The headlands and the inshore reefs are a better bet. Don't know much about botany bay but in the harbour the bigger fish are definitely there. By the way the big fish I got was caught with the downrigger set at 14 meters!

As for how much pressure is needed to release the line on a downrigger...that is a HUGE subject with lots of different opinions. I have in the past tried almost everything. The problem with the downrigger is that inevitably there will be some slack line when a fish takes the bait off the bomb. The conventional wisdom says your release weight should be around2-4kg's for fish like kings

Some people fish with a bit of slack some don't. I have experimented with both and found that both methods work. I prefer to load the rod up and try to eliminate as much slack as possible between the bomb and the rod. Makes for more spectacular takes.

I like to use clips but my scotty clips wear out after a while and don't hold the line as firmly as I would like. OFten I tie the line with an elastic on either the clip or a snap swivel. WOrks well but a bit more fiddling. Cheers Kelvin

Hi Kurt, theres a technique to hooking/Spiking the squid when they hit the jig in the middle, I let them take it for around a metre ( open the bail arm) and then real quickly lock it and jag them.....works 90% of th time as it slides the jig real quickly through their tenticles and gets them spiked.

Thanks for the advice Nectic, will give it a try next time.

Hey Kelvin,

I always learn something from reading your posts, so thanks for sharing your experience.

I was throwing plastics at the surface kings without luck and was wondering how you rig/retrieve the ones that you have shown?

Cheers

Peter

The trick is to get the lure right in the middle of the school. Also you got to use lures that are the right size. Too big and they won't touch it. I use 4 and 6 inch lures. ALso check your leader as a too heavy leader will not result in strikes.

As for the retrieve I use the "walk the dog" style and the lure normally gets slammed within the first couple of twitches.

Don't be fooled into retrieving too fast. High speed is not always the way to go!!! I see people retrieving too fast and not allowing the lure to loiter in the strike zone. Even when you are jigging, a pause is needed to get the fish to strike.

But the most important aspect is to get the lure to the fish before they sound or get scared off by the boat. Casting distance is extremely important and I would consider it the number one priority when selecting outfits, so get your outfit geared towards this side of things.

I use a Saltiga Dorado with a certate 4000 with 14lb fireline. Normally my leader is 15lb seaguar. So far this season I have not been busted off on this outfit. In the last 2 months I have caught over 50 kings with this gear. THe saltiga dorado is a sensational rod. Light , powerful and casts extremely well. Expensive but worth the cost. Cheers Kelvin

They are really spoilt. Still bugging me about catching some flathead!!!! Haven't caught one this year. The last one I caught was at west head last year on a bait jig fishing for slimies as live bait for kings. THey think kingies are too easy. What can I say!! CHeerd Kelvin