Kingie Frenzy

namesay

G'day all, You may remember Charles my hairdresser. His dream is to catch a kingfish. He has been on numerous charters and missed out. He is a self confessed Jonah. A couple of months ago I put him onto a kingie in middle harbour

post-2057-1170569961_thumb.jpg

He has since tried to get some kingies on his own without success. WHen I told him that the kings have been biting their heads off, he wanted to know if it was real. I told him he could come if he could put up with my 2 kids. Charles jumped at the chance.

I got to the ramp at Roseville at 5.30 am to be greeted by a long queue. After some 15 minutes we were in the water. The first thing is to catch bait but I told Charles to keep his eyes peeled as the kings have been on the surface most days.

My 2 kids are experts at squidding now and they had over half a dozen squid in the tank in no time. Charles-zero. I gave him some coaching and lent him some jigs but all he got was a couple of tentacles!! His Jonahness was shining through.

With the bait sorted, we went hunting for some kingies. I spotted a school and cast my soft plastic to be hooked up straight away. I have an unreal spinning outfit which is a daiwa certate 4000 with a saltiga dorado rod. This is the sweetest casting outfit there is and the certate is becoming the country's premiere pelagic lure casting outfit. Charles on the other hand was having trouble getting the distance on his outfit. I lent him mine and he was ON!

I love using the atomic jerk minnow and the fins lures as they have a bit more weight than the sluggos. Charles fell in love with my outfit. He asked how much it cost and when I told him , I had to give him CPR to get him resucitated!! All in all we got 4 fish from lures.

post-2057-1170570542_thumb.jpg

These fish were between 60-65cm and great fun -visual fishing.

After the lures, I changed tactics and downrigged some live squid around the markers. The first one drew a blank but the second was full of bait and kingies. I got a hit and landed a fish around 70cm. With kings hanging around structure, it is best to use strip baits to maximise your squid and to loiter in the strike zone.

SO we drifted with squid strips. I was getting fish after fish but charles on the other side of the boat was silent. I asked if he was getting any bites and he answered yes. But he was pulling the bait away from the fish before they could swallow it!!! I told him what a D%$#head he was and taught him how to feed a bit of line before striking.

This had an immediate effect and he started to land a few. He was in heaven. By this time my kids were tired of pulling in kings and were watching sponge bob on DVD. I must have caught about a dozen, my kids about 10 and charles about 6.

All this activity drew a bit of attention and we were suddenly surrounded by boats. The action slowed but continued. SOme of the fellow anglers weren't impressed when we released fish after fish when they weren't even getting a bite....fresh squid!!! In the end the crowd got a bit too much and we moved.

WIth our last squid I wanted to get a larger fish. I moved closer to the heads and downrigged around a big bait school. There were some divers around the place and just as I was about to warn them about a big lead weight about to hit their heads, the downrigger goes off. It was obviously a better fish.

I had to fight charles off the rod but I grabbed it and got him to get the downrigger up. After a few heart in the mouth moments, I land a fish about 90cm. A top way to finish off.

By now it was 10.30am. We were tired but satisfied. Charles has shaken off his jonah tag for good.!! Both of us were munching on bananas for our breakfast! I LOVE bananas when fishing.

We kept 5 fish for charles. I don't think the guy will sleep for a week!!! I think I'll have a crap hair cut from charles this week due to his sleep deprevation. Anyway Dr. Kelvin has cured charles's jonahitis. Another good day on the kings. CHeers Kelvin

See more photos a couple of posts down.

Edited by namesay

Well done on getting those kingies :thumbup: , we were out yesterday, got squid; trolled middle harbour, fished the markers, etc with only one 59cm rat to show for it. Got a great tan regardless and was treated to the site of about 200 yachts around 2pm.

That downrigger is a great way to prospect around. At this time of the year the kings are swarming all around the harbour and surrounds. A downrigger is a good way to see if there are any kings in the area. ONce found, there are other techniques you can employ like using strips.

I find that the strips are out fishing the whole live squid at the moment.

I also love casting lures for kings. I think a lure caught king is worth 3 bait caught ones. Cheers kelvin

It seems like the bigger fish are starting to show up around the headlands and offshore reefs. About time!!! Been getting a few larger fish around the headlands but it is really heart pumping stuff as these kings know exactly where to run to rub you off. I have a couple of burnt thumbs as I have really latched onto the drag of my torsa to stop some of these runs. Cheers Kelvin

G'day all, You may remember Charles my hairdresser. His dream is to catch a kingfish. He has been on numerous charters and missed out. He is a self confessed Jonah. A couple of months ago I put him onto a kingie in middle harbour

post-2057-1170569961_thumb.jpg

He has since tried to get some kingies on his own without success. WHen I told him that the kings have been biting their heads off, he wanted to know if it was real. I told him he could come if he could put up with my 2 kids. Charles jumped at the chance.

I got to the ramp at Roseville at 5.30 am to be greeted by a long queue. After some 15 minutes we were in the water. The first thing is to catch bait but I told Charles to keep his eyes peeled as the kings have been on the surface most days.

My 2 kids are experts at squidding now and they had over half a dozen squid in the tank in no time. Charles-zero. I gave him some coaching and lent him some jigs but all he got was a couple of tentacles!! His Jonahness was shining through.

With the bait sorted, we went hunting for some kingies. I spotted a school and cast my soft plastic to be hooked up straight away. I have an unreal spinning outfit which is a daiwa certate 4000 with a saltiga dorado rod. This is the sweetest casting outfit there is and the certate is becoming the country's premiere pelagic lure casting outfit. Charles on the other hand was having trouble getting the distance on his outfit. I lent him mine and he was ON!

I love using the atomic jerk minnow and the fins lures as they have a bit more weight than the sluggos. Charles fell in love with my outfit. He asked how much it cost and when I told him , I had to give him CPR to get him resucitated!! All in all we got 4 fish from lures.

post-2057-1170570542_thumb.jpg

These fish were between 60-65cm and great fun -visual fishing.

After the lures, I changed tactics and downrigged some live squid around the markers. The first one drew a blank but the second was full of bait and kingies. I got a hit and landed a fish around 70cm. With kings hanging around structure, it is best to use strip baits to maximise your squid and to loiter in the strike zone.

SO we drifted with squid strips. I was getting fish after fish but charles on the other side of the boat was silent. I asked if he was getting any bites and he answered yes. But he was pulling the bait away from the fish before they could swallow it!!! I told him what a D%$#head he was and taught him how to feed a bit of line before striking.

This had an immediate effect and he started to land a few. He was in heaven. By this time my kids were tired of pulling in kings and were watching sponge bob on DVD. I must have caught about a dozen, my kids about 10 and charles about 6.

All this activity drew a bit of attention and we were suddenly surrounded by boats. The action slowed but continued. SOme of the fellow anglers weren't impressed when we released fish after fish when they weren't even getting a bite....fresh squid!!! In the end the crowd got a bit too much and we moved.

WIth our last squid I wanted to get a larger fish. I moved closer to the heads and downrigged around a big bait school. There were some divers around the place and just as I was about to warn them about a big lead weight about to hit their heads, the downrigger goes off. It was obviously a better fish.

I had to fight charles off the rod but I grabbed it and got him to get the downrigger up. After a few heart in the mouth moments, I land a fish about 90cm. A top way to finish off.

By now it was 10.30am. We were tired but satisfied. Charles has shaken off his jonah tag for good.!! Both of us were munching on bananas for our breakfast! I LOVE bananas when fishing.

We kept 5 fish for charles. I don't think the guy will sleep for a week!!! I think I'll have a crap hair cut from charles this week due to his sleep deprevation. Anyway Dr. Kelvin has cured charles's jonahitis. Another good day on the kings. CHeers Kelvin

See more photos a couple of posts down. What a top and detailed report mate. Keep them coming. Top catch, your a master!. Cheers Ray

Namesy,

Long time no post, good to see you back. Fun report to read. maybe charles can become a FR sponsor.

Hows the new boat?

The fishing has been great now that there is a commercial ban around the harbour. THis can only improve with time. Been a bit busy to post but the new boat is due in the next couple of days. The new motor will need 10-20 hours to run in ...what a pain! but I should be getting out in it real soon.

THe thought about Charles as a sponsor---hmmm. He is really stingy. His :wife: has him by the boots. Doesn't even allow him to get decent fishing gear. He still owes me dinner in one of my fav restaurants. CHeers Kelvin

Yeah i know the feeling with the clothes all too well :wife: , they either have to be really dark to hide the stains or light so i can bleach em out! In fact to save myself the headache i even wash them myself as well :05: .

Hey by the way, do you ever get any kings around that jetty in Bantry Bay, the one near the little park and shelter?

Just wondering as i fished the jetty for bream a few months ago and there were a lot of bait fish around there as well.

Thought they might go hand in hand.

P.s Nice work on the kings, I've been reading your reports for months and even though i'm a rock fisherman i always feel like buying a tinny, putting a downrigger on it and going to the harbour after every report!

Keep it up

Yeah i know the feeling with the clothes all too well :wife: , they either have to be really dark to hide the stains or light so i can bleach em out! In fact to save myself the headache i even wash them myself as well :05: .

Hey by the way, do you ever get any kings around that jetty in Bantry Bay, the one near the little park and shelter?

Just wondering as i fished the jetty for bream a few months ago and there were a lot of bait fish around there as well.

Thought they might go hand in hand.

P.s Nice work on the kings, I've been reading your reports for months and even though i'm a rock fisherman i always feel like buying a tinny, putting a downrigger on it and going to the harbour after every report!

Keep it up

Kings can be found just about anywhere. They go in search for food and can pass through shallow or deep water. This year I have personally seen kings milling around the pontoon at Roseville ramp harassing the bait fish and the resident bream atleast a couple of times.

The only problem with these locations is that the kings don't seem to hold there. They just pass through after scoffin down the bait. Sow and pigs is typical of this type of location. SO the jettin in bantry will probably have some kings from time to time but probably won't hold for long.

There are other locations where the kings are more predictable so that is where most people fish for them .The downrigger is great to explore areas and there is always a chance that you stumble on a passing school. Cheers kelvin

Ha.. still waiting for the site sponsored dental work too Dr Hawknose....

Maybe a discount like two fillings to one free tooth knocked out of your mouth without pain killers.. or a free 10/0 fishhook insertion....

I would settle for you having a garage sale...(as long as I get first pick) .....I have seen your tackle collection!!!!!

Was Telling Fishfinder Tony yesterday you had more rods and reels than he did!!! and dont use most of them... (I really Hope Sue is reading this...Give me a call Sue..I'm sure you want your house back!!!!....LOL)

Sounds like they are building more than they were last week when you and I were out....Excellent..

And sounds like the Bigger kings are starting to move in a bit more :1clap: .... rats starting to show up in Botany Bay in decent numbers too which is a good start...

I can't wait to get the new rod New Pure Magic Stick Link

I wil definately have to get out next weekend...

Rodger

Well done on the fish!

Interesting that you said that you were eating bananas.

My Uncle alsways told be they were bad luck.

anyone else heard this old wives tale?

yeah i have! its not totally unfounded either... they did a 'study' on it and found that the banana eaters caught less fish, this was bait fishing though and they thought perhaps it was due to the oils or something from the banana getting on the bait.... who knows though!!

There are lots of people who are superstitious about bananas and fishing. Having a banana on a boat or eating one when you are fishing is seen as bad luck.

Now I am not a superstitious type so I frequently have a banana on board and eat them regularly while fishing!!! :biggrin2: Doesn't seem to have done anything except catch me fish. Would like to see a banana sluggo- would probably outfish others. I also use bananaboat sunscreen just to top off the banana side of things.

Charles was superstitious about bananas and so forth as he has had some rotten luck with his attempts at catching kings. After yesterday he is not superstitious about anything :thumbup: . He saw the bunch of bananas I had in the boat when we set out and freaked!! Just to make a point of it, I rubbed my lures on the banana to show charles that the smell didn't affect the way the kings hit them. Ended up with more kings than I had expected fishing on a weekend.

The only thing that puts the kingies off is when you run out of bait!!!

By the way Rodger I aint having no garage sale! All the tackle I own have been useful to me even if it meant that I no longer buy that particular product and swear off it.

You should feel relieved as I haven't bought a new rod or reel in almost 2 weeks!!!! Still adding to my lure/squid jig collection however.

A few guys have asked me to test some tackle for them as I go out fishing a LOT. But I have always refused as I don't like being in any way commercially attached to anyone. But I must say the certate and the torsa are some of the best gear I have used. The torsa is starting to make a growling noise...I guess after catching over 100 kings since I bought it a couple of months ago it will start to loosen up a little!!!

After our little trip last week, I think you would have to agree with the value of good fishing gear!. CHeers Kelvin

After our little trip last week, I think you would have to agree with the value of good fishing gear!. CHeers Kelvin

Definately... you need to buy the best you can afford....

just a pity the best at the moment the best is way more than most people (including myself) can possibly afford!!!!!

A Torsa or Certate will set you back between $500-800 for the reel alone.... (but they are soo smooth... and the Torsa has soo much grunt for High speed overhead!!!!..it impressed me the most... and the Certa was it?? was smoother than the certate...)

Now if you want one of those fancy schmantzy Diawa Saltiga sticks...(that one you got is nice) then add another $600-700..... really you are paying an extra $200-300 for the name... (and Mr Diawa will come out shake your hand, relieve you of your hard earned cash and say "fank you very muchy"...but offer no discount).......

but a nice off the shelf rod none the less...

but do tell us how many tips have you broken recently?...ouch! :08: ...LOL

I dont suppose Diawa has offered a replacement? :tease:

I would love a Torsa though... they are choice...top lever drag...

Oh well ...sigh....I guess some of us have to live in the real world and only dream about these outfits....

(any offfers of gear testing sponsorship welcome... :yahoo: )

In the last 6 months I have only broken 3 rods-

A shimano jigwrex, daiwa coastal, daiwa Saegake twice.

All were replaced under warranty!!! :thumbup: These rods weren't broken from mis use either as I really do take care of my gear.

Don't ask me how many rods I have broken over the years as I can't count that high!!! All were graphite so I guess that says something.

By the way, that REALLY smooth reel you mention was the Caldia...another fantastic reel. Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Another Great report by the King on Kingies ..hahahahah... :1prop: .

Gosh , I wish my :wife: would let me go fishing every week, and get a new boat :biggrin2:

Keep them coming Mate, if I can't go fishing, your report is the next best thing

Cheers

Dave