Good Luck, Bad Luck, Good Luck Again!

squidboy

Hello Fellow Raiders,

Had a fantastic day on the harbour yesterday. Got a call from "Fish Otter" at about 4am asking f I wanted to go for a fish Saturday morning and I couldnt refuse. I packed the Tyrnos and some squid jigs hoping to nail these Harbour Kings on some local squid.

We got to the boat ramp at about 5am where there were a million boats ready to go in. We headed off to the squid grounds and Squidboy could not land a squid if you paid him a million dollars!!! After Fish Otter got about 8 squid we went to South Head.

On arrival I put down the first squid, and not even before we begun trawlling BANG!!! I was on and this was no little fella. I was using 65lb line on a Shimano Tyrnos 30 and on full drag this thing was going for hell loose! After a few minutes of muscling this monster off the bottom and almost ended up in the water ten times the fish was gaffed and in the boat. The fish measured at 101cm, and later weighed in cleaned at 8.5kg! I got a cut on my arms and bruise on my leg from it all.

In the meantime the unbeliveable happened, Fish Otter asks where his rod was :wacko: Another King had taken it into the water. $700 worth of gear GOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!. After a few loud words we decided it was gone and we would go elsewhere for another fish for two hours. So Good Luck, turned into bad.

We headed further south where we saw two diving boats and the fish were not cooperating at this stage. So we headed back to South head where Fish Otter strikes the bottom of the Ocean, GREAT!. Instead out of the bottom of the water comes this 10 ounce sink!!!. IT WAS THE ROD!!!!! What a miracle. However, the line was only coming up and after lot of line in the boat we found that the rod was reefed :ranting2:

Well, all hope was gone before we sa a diving boat going past! We asked but they could only free dive :mad3: Then the idea came, THE SECOND DIVE Boat. I tried to call directory assistance and we got the number for Manly Diving. But there phone was off :bump0ee: . Then we saw there boat at North Head after tieing a bottle to the line we found. They said maybe when the divers come up they could go and get it. So some hope still in light. we went to the yellow marker, where Fish Otter caught two kings one 55cm (back in the drink) and another 62cm. There were heaps fo boats hooking up rats, but then luck came. The divers came and we went for the rod!. They got the rod and that was

Hrthe luck turning good again. we packed up and went home happy as larry :1prop:

Another fantastic day on the water thanks to manly Diving and MANY MANY THANKS TO FISH OTTER!!!!

We both ended the day with some lunch on the boat and laughing that Squidboy caught no squid for once and ended up with the fish of the day. Pretty much, Im still cheering :thumbup:

Here is a photo of the fish below :

post-2763-1171166019_thumb.jpg

Edited by squidboy

holy moly thats a big hoodlum lol. So lucky that u got ur rod back, but isnt ur reel gonna stuff up cuz salt water got inside the gears?

Shimano Tyrnos's are sealed reels, however its most probably going back to Shimano for a full overhaul service just in case. They have the anti rust bearings and stainless gears i think off the top of my head.

nice fish there squid boy!

I saw you guys anchor up at yellow marker and fish otta jump on that dive boat, I wonderd what was going on!

how lucky to firstly hook the lost line and then find some divers to help out, should buy a lottery ticket!

brett

nice fish there squid boy!

I saw you guys anchor up at yellow marker and fish otta jump on that dive boat, I wonderd what was going on!

how lucky to firstly hook the lost line and then find some divers to help out, should buy a lottery ticket!

brett

Were you in the "TUFFY" boat cause I tried to wave to you but no response :(. Its all good man, we hooked up at the marker too.

That is one lucky story and a hood to boot. What can you say? Cheers Kelvin

All I have to say is these wise words:

1) Fishraider is an awesome place to learn and share information

2) Fish Strong for Kings 24kg outfit, lock it up and HOLD ON

3) Live life to the max, enjoy days like this cause they are memories forever

:thumbup:

Well done on your great kingie - but especially on getting your rod back!! How good was that?? It was meant to be!

I lost a rod out of my kayak (the rod holders had been fitted facing the wrong way....) but luckily I was able to find the lure on a snag & traced it back to the rod & reel - so know the feeling! Yahoo!

Great report!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

lucky break and a nice fish

now im wondering, where was the kingy that took off with the rod? :1prop:

Ill be back on the water in about three weeks to find him. But then, Ill have my back feeling a bit better and Ill put him up as a post too!!!

Shimano Tyrnos's are sealed reels, however its most probably going back to Shimano for a full overhaul service just in case. They have the anti rust bearings and stainless gears i think off the top of my head.

Hey Squidboy, not sure if you read one of my threads, but my Tyrnos 30 went swimming for about 30 minutes as well. Although they are sealed reels, I doubt whether they are water and air tight, so I would put money on water getting inside the reel.

In either case, I did not want to risk it, so I took it back to Shimano (Taren Point) and they fixed it for $20, all done in a couple of days.

Great effort to get back your rod and reel !!!!! Nice Hood too, amazing how much pulling power these fish have, you certainly weren't fishing light !!!