Which Reel - Eggbeater Or Overhead ?

roosterman

i have searched topics and still cannot decide which way to go.. well guys open for all input as to pros and cons of which way to go..

i will mainly be fishing from boat live baiting mainly for jew and hopefully start to target some of those nice kings some raiders are getting into.. so maybe a little trolling in the future.. i mainly fish hawkesbury or if weather permits sneak out to close reefs [only got 14ft pongrass] so i hope that helps.. i keep changing my mind so hopefully this will help me make a decision.

the choices so far [not limited to] are the shimano 6500 baitrunner or advised by another raider to try the okuma eclipz 90.

for overheads something like the shimano tyrnos 20. [but may be alittle overkill]

also ive only ever used mono so advise on mono vs braid with choices will help...

ive been told the 6500 br is not good laying braid on the spool ???

budget is around $200 - $300 but may go more if needed.

anyway thanks in advance for all input guys...

Edited by roosterman

Guest danielinbyron

tld 25 ..best bang for the buck in a lever drag of that calibre..

but if u want to be able to cast and live bait go the baitrunner..

baitrunner will handle braid just not as nicely as reels built for it

this really only boils down to you have to take a little more care at start of retrieve..

good luck

roosterman, I assume you have a rod for both reels (or are picking up one that suits)

I have just been through the same thing, the spare rod I picked up a while ago (very cheap :1prop: ) was going to be fitted with a reel to do some trolling and maybe light/medium jigging, went in to pick up the saltist 50 or if I was lucky the tyrnos, but as it ended up, the only decent reel that would suit the rod for what I wanted it for was the spheros 14000fa.

It also left me with enough change to pick-up another overhead rod and I put the saltist under the counter for next collection

Out of what you listed the tyrnos would be my choice, but don't go past the spheros if you wish to troll and still cast, fused lines like berkley's will work, but not true unfused braid on a spin reel like this so i've been told.

Brenton

I agree with daniel. At the moment you can get a TLD 25 for under 200 with a 10 year guarantee. These reels used to be over $500.

For kings, small marlin, large jewfish etc there is nothing on the market that has the quality or name. If you do get one its best to get mono as the thin braids up to say 50 is hard on fingers when laying the line on the reel. The exception to the rule however is if you can get a thick smooth braid and that can be layed up ok. The tackle shop guys can advise when you see them.

On my TLD 25, I got 18kilo tortue as it was the same diameter as the 15 and three kilos stornger.

If you want to be able to cast or use it off the beach then the baitrunner is the way to go. Yes you could use it on marlin but there is a possibility of being spooled quicker than the tld 25.

Hey mate

anything over a 1500 size reel im an overhead man, Check out the ABU baitcasters, your can cast, jig, troll what ever you want, I run a 7000LD and swear by it, can run up to 80lb braid...can strap it onto the beach rod and outcast an eggbeater.... can strap it onto the 24kg or 15kg stick and go jewing, kinging, dollying, bottom bashin. A great all round sturdy reel. the TLD25 is another good option but you cant really get a good cast out of em...and if your fishin for jew i guess you wanna be casting...I wouldnt run anything but braid but thats just my personal opinion, other people like mono better, Have a crack at both and see whats suits you.

for smaller reels i like the tiny eggbeaters, especially the browning series, i use the A405 for bass with 4 pund line, just beautiful. not expensive either.

cheers

Joe

BCF are selling an Okuma Titus 15 or 20 for $99 or the Titus 30 for $119. Great if your on a budget, will leave plenty left for the rod and line. They are also selling Penn Senator 10-15kg overhead rods to suit for $69.

Hope that helps.

And I have no association with BCF either just saw their catalogue.

Edited by TheLender

BCF are selling an Okuma Titus 15 or 20 for $99 or the Titus 30 for $119. Great if your on a budget, will leave plenty left for the rod and line. They are also selling Penn Senator 10-15kg overhead rods to suit for $69.

Hope that helps.

And I have no association with BCF either just saw their catalogue.

I wouldnt buy any overhead reel for under 200 bux, especially that Penn....unless your just bottom bashing for reefies....Your rod is only as good as your reel, no good getting a good rod if your gonna strap on a crap reel...

I wouldnt buy any overhead reel for under 200 bux, especially that Penn....unless your just bottom bashing for reefies....Your rod is only as good as your reel, no good getting a good rod if your gonna strap on a crap reel...

The Titus isn't a "crap" reel. And if your only chasing jewies or kings it would work just fine.

And I think you have everything back to front, the reel is Okuma, the rod is a Penn.

He isn't going chasing Marlin with it. Its just for the harbour.

I use the same outfit for bottom bashing the reefs in FNQ with 50lb braid and it works perfectly.

The Titus isn't a "crap" reel. And if your only chasing jewies or kings it would work just fine.

And I think you have everything back to front, the reel is Okuma, the rod is a Penn.

He isn't going chasing Marlin with it. Its just for the harbour.

I use the same outfit for bottom bashing the reefs in FNQ with 50lb braid and it works perfectly.

Sorry mate just my opinion, i wouldnt buy a rod or a reel for under 200 bux, i have had nothin but trouble with cheap gear...sorry I did get the rod and reel mixed up..

cheers

Joe

From my experience in fishing tackle....and I virtually own a tackle store, you should go for quality. Doesn't matter if you are going for an overhead or a spinning reel, the cheaper option always costs more in the long run.

THe type of gear also depends on how often you use it. You may get away with a lesser quality outfit if you only use it rarely but always go for the best you can afford.

As for your tackle choices, the spinning reel is more versatile. With today's high end gear, the spinning reel loses nothing to an overhead. I prefer overhead reels when I am downrigging but a spinning reel works just as well.

In the old days, the spinning reels were the weaker, fragile cousins to over heads but not anymore. But good gear costs more than what you have stated in your original post. You may need to upgrade that figure! CHeers Kelvin

Well i agree with a few things said, The spheros is a great reel for that price and very hard to go past.

In regards to the tld or tyrnos you, these havent got level winds and if he is new to overheads it can be a pain to get used too, I would recommend a tekota 700-800 for a good alround overhead.

I have had one for 2 years and it has caught well over 200 kings up to 12kg and it is still going strong, it can troll, Cast, live bait everything and i have 350 metres of 50lb mono on it.

Just another option for you

Inregards to Okumas, I have owned a few as these were my first reels, I had a titus gold that i saw smoking from a good tuna run......after that it was shit and never felt the same, i also had a contender and that fell to peices too....there over heads are not quality from my experience and i would never purchase one again, period.

They are a budget to meduim brand and as Kelvin stated they can be more headaches then anything.

Edited by netic

Well i agree with a few things said, The spheros is a great reel for that price and very hard to go past.

In regards to the tld or tyrnos you, these havent got level winds and if he is new to overheads it can be a pain to get used too, I would recommend a tekota 700-800 for a good alround overhead.

I have had one for 2 years and it has caught well over 200 kings up to 12kg and it is still going strong, it can troll, Cast, live bait everything and i have 350 metres of 50lb mono on it.

Just another option for you

Inregards to Okumas, I have owned a few as these were my first reels, I had a titus gold that i saw smoking from a good tuna run......after that it was shit and never felt the same, i also had a contender and that fell to peices too....there over heads are not quality from my experience and i would never purchase one again, period.

They are a budget to meduim brand and as Kelvin stated they can be more headaches then anything.

My Okuma Titus gold 10L did the same thing. ONe fish, a cobia of around 25kg and the reel packed it in. The drag is sticky, the nuts holding the side plate have stripped...etc.

I have several other OKUMA tackle that sit at home gathering dust! So buy the best you can afford and you'll land that fish of a lifetime. CHeers Kelvin

My Okuma Titus gold 10L did the same thing. ONe fish, a cobia of around 25kg and the reel packed it in. The drag is sticky, the nuts holding the side plate have stripped...etc.

I have several other OKUMA tackle that sit at home gathering dust! So buy the best you can afford and you'll land that fish of a lifetime. CHeers Kelvin

Its funny how different people have different opinions.

My Titus has landed over 200 reef fish, mainly with heavy drag on braided line and is as smooth as the day I got it.

thanks guys,now this is one of the great things this site offers.many opinions some differ some clash but all helpful and by by the end user not some tackleshop trying to push his product thats not nescesarily the one to go with.

brenton i have rods[may not suit 100% dep on choice but will do till i get more $$ and i may get one of those ripper ones tony is making.i saw some a couple days ago and they looked and felt very nice..i looked at the saltist 50 today,looked nice and was lighter than tekota & tyrnos.

daniel & lancer,well guys the tld is good bang for buck but i would prob want metal body as a mate had one stuff up on what could of been fish of a lifetime and he went to metal bodies after that.before that incident though he swore they were good.not that i could hookup like that where i fish but you never know.

well the okumas are out,spoke to someone today and on third major failure no more okumas,so i wont go there.[im sure they were the eclipz series]

well kelvin i agree with you on best quality i can afford[or not afford] and have really enjoyed your posts and the look ond your boys face with those kingies , priceless.. since seeing all yours and others getting those kings i am going to try targetting them more often[up till now not specifically targetted] i think the tekota 700 was nice and for jews i can freespool to let him run but with the kings i would have to play around with star drag and set light till hookup then tighten for the fight.this mucking around seems to nearly outweigh the levelwind feature and swing me to the tyrnos.but now after seeing the diawa saltist50 it was lots lighter. but is it good ??? choices , choices.. do you think the 6500br can handle those kings with / without braid??

netic,loved that vid of the jellybean mate, if livebaiting or trolling with tekota what do you do about being star drag,eg set light till hooked then tighten.how hard is it laying braid without levelwind?. i am quick learner with anything and am a fairly experianced fisho,just not with overheads or palegics.. i know where i can get a tekota 700 for about $220 - $240. how hard to cast are they?? well all i can say now is GO THE CHOOKIES .. lets hope benji gets better eh as you guys missed him heaps last year.. im not real keen on anderson but well see.

joe ill be up forster for the luderick weekend in june[my specialty] so ill see you there maybe.. your right about cheap gear,its a fine line sometimes between a bargain an cheap crap... thats why its so important to research anything these days

thanks once again guys,like i said all input is greatly apreciated... steve....

Edited by roosterman

thanks guys,now this is one of the great things this site offers.many opinions some differ some clash but all helpful and by by the end user not some tackleshop trying to push his product thats not nescesarily the one to go with.

brenton i have rods[may not suit 100% dep on choice but will do till i get more $$ and i may get one of those ripper ones tony is making.i saw some a couple days ago and they looked and felt very nice..i looked at the saltist 50 today,looked nice and was lighter than tekota & tyrnos.

daniel & lancer,well guys the tld is good bang for buck but i would prob want metal body as a mate had one stuff up on what could of been fish of a lifetime and he went to metal bodies after that.before that incident though he swore they were good.not that i could hookup like that where i fish but you never know.

well the okumas are out,spoke to someone today and on third major failure no more okumas,so i wont go there.[im sure they were the eclipz series]

well kelvin i agree with you on best quality i can afford[or not afford] and have really enjoyed your posts and the look ond your boys face with those kingies , priceless.. since seeing all yours and others getting those kings i am going to try targetting them more often[up till now not specifically targetted] i think the tekota 700 was nice and for jews i can freespool to let him run but with the kings i would have to play around with star drag and set light till hookup then tighten for the fight.this mucking around seems to nearly outweigh the levelwind feature and swing me to the tyrnos.but now after seeing the diawa saltist50 it was lots lighter. but is it good ??? choices , choices.. do you think the 6500br can handle those kings with / without braid??

netic,loved that vid of the jellybean mate, if livebaiting or trolling with tekota what do you do about being star drag,eg set light till hooked then tighten.how hard is it laying braid without levelwind?. i am quick learner with anything and am a fairly experianced fisho,just not with overheads or palegics.. i know where i can get a tekota 700 for about $220 - $240. how hard to cast are they?? well all i can say now is GO THE CHOOKIES .. lets hope benji gets better eh as you guys missed him heaps last year.. im not real keen on anderson but well see.

joe ill be up forster for the luderick weekend in june[my specialty] so ill see you there maybe.. your right about cheap gear,its a fine line sometimes between a bargain an cheap crap... thats why its so important to research anything these days

thanks once again guys,like i said all input is greatly apreciated... steve....

Mate the Yellowfin i caught in the cinema was caught on a Tyrnos 30, was very hard to bring up due to its high speed gearing, thats only the last few minutes of a 25 minute fight...The tekota i have also caught yft on and all i do is free spool it till it gets hit and then lock it.....the tekota has a click star drag, which means it clicks with every little turn of the drag...i have tested my reel and now how much extra each click puts on the drag oin the way of pressure.

During a fight, although very hectic you can keep track of it. If you dont wanna do that you just lock her up a bit if shes a biggen and slowly drop back as the fish gets to the boat.

I have never used the daiwa so i dont know how she performs but as seen in this thread CFD rates them highly.

Its funny how different people have different opinions.

My Titus has landed over 200 reef fish, mainly with heavy drag on braided line and is as smooth as the day I got it.

Mate no offence but okuma titus are the reel you buy if you dont wanna spend the cash on a Shimano or Daiwa, thats why they are cheaper, I have spoke with many Pro's and they say they are only good for light fishing, not sport fishing........

if you like the saltist 50, i strongly urge you to check out the 30T, narrow spool so lack of level wind is no biggie... also means its great for jigging, mine fits 400m of 50lb FINS braid and i use it to bottom bash, downrig, troll and jig

best reel ive ever bought for the money

CFD

is that the penn 30t, is that ok for livebaiting,

I like the tekota overheads - I brought myself one (500, maybe 700-800 is the go for bigger fish) a few weeks and matched up with a 10kg shimano rod and I love it !!! Beautiful looking reel to, she's hidden away in the garage in case anyone breaks in to my garage and has a feast on my gear - but not that baby !!! The lot cost me $300, not bad I thought.

Ben

ben are you sure its not hidden in the garage so :wife: doesnt see your new toys.... yeh they are a sexy looking reel...

Edited by roosterman

The problem with OKUMA tackle is not their technical spec but their quality control. You may get lucky and get gear that was made well but if you are unlucky then you are left with some useless piece of junk. Manufacturers like Shimano and Daiwa have much better quality control and I think that is why I buy these brands.

Roosterman, once you start sending livies into the water, you just don't know what will end up on your line. Just need to remember that anything from longtail tuna to even marlin can jump on. Even while jigging, marlin are a possiblity. One charter operator here in Sydney got 5 marlin on jigs while fishing for kings during one trip!!!! They wouldn't have been landed if the gear wasn't up to scratch.

I only use my shimano stella, torsa or thunnus whenever I have a live bait out. These reels are capable of catching almost anything that swims in sydney. All the other reels I have at home ( and I have quite a collection ) don't get a run with livies.

Just get the right gear so you won't have to tell those "one that got away" stories too often. CHeers Kelvin

nope

daiwa saltist 30T

you can pick them up for around $320 - $360

CFD

you are paying to much for them at 320 to 360 ,you can pick them up on ebay new in the box buy now price from 175 to 190 australian plus post of around 30 dollars ,220 max to your front door 4 to 5 days ,Leigh

kelvin i know what you mean about the beauty of fishing and anything can happen.last year out near lion island i hooked up and it was big,prob a noah. my old baitrunner took a floggin until line gave out after about 5 to 8 min, drag was never the same so its time to upgrade as my old trusty 650 alvey is only decent livebait reel..pulled some good jew on it though.. i am leaning towards overhead but not sure how importand levelwind will be,as i am new to overheads and also braid. the contenders are tekota 700 vs tyrnos vs daiwa saltist 50.. a rod to match will come later [i have one just prob not matched to these reels]ill prob get one of fishfinder tony's but need to save the pennies.from what i saw the other day they are worth every penny too.. i am also a little concerned about the weight of the reels, the diawa scores a few good points on that but how much does it affect when playing a nice fish?? i am very quick to pickup things so i think ill be ok.. does the braid affect fingers laying line manually , prob sounds like a silly question but i say only silly question is one not asked in life.. anyway thanks again guys..

Edited by roosterman

well i ended up getting the shimano thunnus 1600f. i couldnt pass up this deal, i scored it for.$230. :thumbup: ..now only choice left mono vs braid.. ill prob decide when at shop in next couple days..then test out friday & sat night. ill still prob get a overhead but will wait now to bundle a nice rod with it... thanks heaps once again guys..... raiders rock :thumbup::thumbup:

• 1 year later...

:1fishing1:

you are paying to much for them at 320 to 360 ,you can pick them up on ebay new in the box buy now price from 175 to 190 australian plus post of around 30 dollars ,220 max to your front door 4 to 5 days ,Leigh

Be careful buying this from E-Bay as I bought one but it ended up being a "Saltist 30TH" totally different reel.

To small for what I wanted it for, payed $175

A TLD25 is a bit of overkill in an estuary. A TLD20 makes more sense. The Daiwa Saltist is an excellent reel and value for money. I would be deciding first what you want in a reel, eg lever or star drag (the latter is far more castable), harness lugs or not, level wind or not, high speed or moderate speed, etc.