Rack Breamin'

Bream Mad

Hi Raiders,

Just got back from my belated summer holiday with plenty of stories to tell :biggrin2:

After some serious storms i hit Berringer lake early pre dawn, conditions were light drizzle.

Bream were smashing prawns of the top left right and centre so i rigged up my bubble pop 35 and casted to the commotion. Not sure how aggressive i should retrieve it i blooped the popper along with plenty of long pauses. Bang it gets smashed of the top and my first popper bream comes to hand, stoked :thumbup:

post-2475-1172376304_thumb.jpg

As the sun rises i move around to the oyster racks were the racket is astounding!!

Crack,crack , crack the sound of bream jaws gasping at helpless jumping prawns is a sight to behold :1yikes:

The lake bottom is covered in thick noctious weed and basically means that you have to keep your lure off the bottom for sucess. I tie on a premium SX40 to 6 pound leader and start casting down the alleys of the old broken up racks. Tap.tap, crash i'm on again, despite his best efforts i am able to keep him away from the racks and into open water were I land a better bream around 33cm :thumbup:

post-2475-1172376340_thumb.jpg

I continue up the alley and tighten the drag up. Again the lure is smashed by a much bigger fish who trys to drag me in but we part company amost instantly :thumbdown: a closer inpection of the lure shows straigtened hooks on the back owner treble :mad3:

I keep casting after bending the hooks back into shape a the SX40 in hammered again but luckily he pulls clear of the racks and the battle begins. Then he relises his error and powers back home under the shallow trays. I release the tension slightly and wade in to fetch him out, somehow the leader stays intact and I grab

a shocked bream better than a kilo for a few pics, my largest ever caught on a HB.

post-2475-1172376361_thumb.jpg

He is 39cm overall or 35.5cm fork lenght and promply released as all big bream should.

Woohoo! :yahoo: Great report and pics, Bream Mad. :thumbup: Catching bream on poppers and small HBs like Tiemco Stick Minnows has been keeping me busy of late. It's a pretty addictive form of fishing, eh? :biggrin2: Some great fish there. I can sympathise with the feeling of losing a big bream shortly after hook-up - I hooked one in Botany Bay on a little Tiemco that promptly snapped the middle treble! It was a cracker - saw the big flash in the water as it took the lure. "That's fishing" anyway. I have landed bream, flatties and whiting on the hardbodies - great fun in shallow water. There's a few pics of my results here:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...showtopic=17988

Flattieman.

I havent fished Berringer for years it sounds like it still produces well.

Unfortunately we lost the racks in Botany Bay to the dreaded QX so I may have to wander down to get the blood pumping trying keep the buggers out of the sticks.

Good report

Dave

hey there if you dont mind me asking what brand type and colour poper were you using :thumbup::yahoo::biggrin2:

It's a River2sea Bubble Pop 35. Colour is gold/red. I owned it for a while but never used it before, but it seems to do the trick. Also tried some squidgy bugs unweighted but the Bream were not as cooperative that session

BM