Squid Again...but A Bit Different

skramp_84

Hi. I have another squid question. I can locate the squid etc. I am having trouble, in that I only can convert about 10% of hits to squid :mad3: . I either can't hook up properly, lose the squid on the way in, or lose it on the way up. Should i speed up or slow down when i feel a hit? Once its hooked, what speed should i bring it in at? Thanks in advance.

Hi. I have another squid question. I can locate the squid etc. I am having trouble, in that I only can convert about 10% of hits to squid :mad3: . I either can't hook up properly, lose the squid on the way in, or lose it on the way up. Should i speed up or slow down when i feel a hit? Once its hooked, what speed should i bring it in at? Thanks in advance.

Mate i usually stay at the same speed i was reeling when it hit, so long as you keep the pressure on him you should be fine.

Maybe your not getting hit as much as you think, when a jig catches the top of the weed beds it feels very much like a squid, sometimes it even has the sucking feeling that a squid does. As i said that normally means your rubing along the top of the weed bed but not getting hooked onto it.....which could make someone believe that a squid is playing with it

Thanks mate, maybe im not getting as many hits as i think. Do i need to wind a little faster to keep it off the weed? What im doing now is winding constantly but very slowly. I get allot more cuttlefish than squid too, is that something im causing or is that just that they are more prevalent in the spot im fishing?

Guest IFishSick.

Just whatever's there mate.

You go to a cuttlefish loaded spot that's what you'll get.

Make sure not to strike when the squid hits, just wind in moderately with no jerks of the rod which will pull the hooks.

Thanks mate, maybe im not getting as many hits as i think. Do i need to wind a little faster to keep it off the weed? What im doing now is winding constantly but very slowly. I get allot more cuttlefish than squid too, is that something im causing or is that just that they are more prevalent in the spot im fishing?

Normally if your getting cuttles it means that there are more cuttle in the area then squid, not to worry as a cuttle makes a great kingy bait too.

If you are always rubbing along the top of the weed bed you can either reduce the size of your jig or wind slightly faster.

bit of both mate otfen a squid or squids will follow your jig right up to the boat then

shy away so it pays to be on the look every second your jigs in the water..

ive caught numerous squid this way... normally if 2 or 3 follow your jig u should be able to get em

if u grab another rod and have to jigs in the water...

Im currently using a glow in the dark type jig. One other thing, if your getting follows, is there any way to increase the liklyhood of a strike? Like with the palagics, if you wind a bit faster they usually hit it. If a squid is chasing, is it best to stop winding, wind faster, or just keep going how you were?

Guest IFishSick.

Try different things,

It depends on how they feel on the day

Sometimes you may wind as fast as you can for 3m or so then stop, others you may need to slow it right down and jig it a little.