Syd Hbr Fish Fest 03/03/07

Chef

Hit Rose Bay ramp around 6 this morning to see Flightmanager putting in as well, hi Ross.After a brief g'day we headed out in an attempt to give one of the regular Fishfinder customers a lesson on breaming with plastics. This is as usual a no bait day.

Got out some of Tony's 1 - 3kg rods and started showing my passenger how to work the lure when the reel exploded and just kept running & running & running. We chased it down with the electric to find it was a 70cm king, not bad on 4lb line with 4lb leader.

Restarted our bream lesson again only to hook up on anther king and get smoked. We hooked up many times over the next few hours with kings and huge frigates being caught. :yahoo:

All the kings were on the 4lb combos and credit must really go to Tony for some fantastic rods that took the load with such ease. The Sustains & Stradics also had something to do with it.

The next few hours saw a quantity of flaties brought up that even amazed me. We threw back anything under 45cm and still bagged out.

By this stage we have a full load of flatties, all kings released except for two and same for the frigates and a single flounder that was about 45cm. GO THE PLASTICS.

Decided to head into Watson Bay for a break and cold drinks and again bump into Ross & his son. Discussions led to some donated plastics & directions and soon we were both fishing back at our little hidy-hole.

On arrival more flathead were found and Ross's son was delighted to have got a 50cm flatty to the side of the boat, unfortunately only to lose it, but that's ok as the fight is half the fun. :05:

As the wind had come up we left Ross to the flatties and moved to a new hole i had been wanting to try for some time. On arriving we found it to be out of the wind and full of bait fish just sitting there resting from the conditions out in the main harbour area.

Within 40min i had bagged 4 bream of around 1kg each and a 5th of about 500gr. Now i ask you, why can't we do this in a bream competition ??? WHY ???

Headed back to the ramp having released heaps of fish & with enough supplies to fill a Saturday night bbq with flatty beer batter pieces and kingy steaks. I even got a thankyou pack of bourbon mixers :beersmile: to wash the salt out - how much better can it get ?

Headed back to the ramp having released heaps of fish & with enough supplies to fill a Saturday night bbq with flatty beer batter pieces and kingy steaks. I even got a thankyou pack of bourbon mixers :beersmile: to wash the salt out - how much better can it get ?

Not much better than that. Well done on a great days fishing.

Cheers

Kurt

Edit : Added Quotes

Edited by Flightmanager

WOW!!! :yahoo: What a session that was.

You have stumbled on fish city by the sound of it.

Glad you ended up with a boatload and all on plastics too.

Hope Ross & number 1 son got amongst 'em as well...Where's your report Ross? :thumbup:

Hope to see some more great reports like this one again soon.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

G'day All ,

Just now finished cleaning our small catch , Crikey , what a day !

#1 Son and I left home at about 0500 , and drove to Rose Bay , Saw Chef puting his boat in , enquired as to each others plans for the day ,and agreed to catch up somewhere on the Harbour . Sydney this morning , turned on its best fishing weather , smooth water , and for the first time in months NO BLOODY WIND!!!

Set sail for the wedding cake , and passed a bit of time there , but no real action , so we then proceeded to Sow and Pigs , where I caught 3 small fish ( returned ) . Heard OffTap and Netic on the radio , asked what conditions were like outside , and as they were smooth , we took a tour just outside the heads ( still verrry wary of the Big Scary Water!) and tried our luck at a couple of spots with no result at all. Not that we minded all that much , we werent at work , the sun was singing and the birds were shining , and did I mention there was NO BLOODY WIND? :)

Returned to S&P , but nothing happening there , so we headed to Watsons Bay for a quick break , and once again caught up with Chef and his decky. I knew we should have folowed them , the live tank was chockas full of great fish , and he was full of great tales on how they were caught !! Chef very kindly told us exactly where to go , and what we should do when we got there ( in the nicest possible way of course ) and even donated some of the magic plastics that had done the trick for them earlier in the day !! Many thanks mate , it was greatly appreciated.

We returned to the Wedding Cake , and while we did get a few bites , nothing was landed. This time we did follow the boys back to their " magic spot" , and within 5 minutes , Chef had landed another quality Flathead !!

5 minutes after that #1 Son was on with a terrific Flatty , which made it to the surface , but on seeing my ugly mug , decided to follow his moms advice , and keep away from strange men with beards and dark glasses. Yes , sadly , just at the point when we were getting the net ready , he spat the hook !! "Oh Bother" we both cried !! This was a great fish , I estimate at least 50 CM. Ah well , thats fishing!!

We continued on at this spot for a while longer , but the word had obviously spread beneath the waves about strange bearded men etc etc , and the fish no longer wanted to play !! We trolled around a couple of the surrounding bays , and finally chose a spot , I had set out my boat rod with a strip of squid , and Brett and I were trying to emulate our mentors actions with the SP's . Then , the boat rod went ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ , Brett yelled " your on Dad !" , and the fight had begun!! The fish came up pretty easily the first time , not a great deal of fight , but a good bit of weight . As he came closer to the surface , I called him for a large flatty , then he stuck his head out of the water , and lo and behold , it was a Kingy!!!

What is it with fish and my face? Thats right , as soon as he saw me , he too said " I dont think so " and bolted for the depths. I set the drag just a touch harder , and we seesawed for ground for a minute or so , then , tired out , he came gently to the surface , and was landed in the boat. :yahoo:

The seond after he hit the floor , the line broke . How close was that eh readers ? I would have been inconsolable if I hadnt landed him !

After the adrenaline had settled a bit , we resumed fishing , and caught quite a few fish , all returned , but it was pleasing to see quite a few different species in the harbour.

Finally we had had enough ( only about 13 hours worth) , and returned home with our fish. :wife: has ordered BBQed Kingfish for lunch for tomorrow , which sounds like a pretty damned good idea to me !!

A top day out for us , we look forward to doing it again soon !!

Ross

What a great report Ross. Congrats to you on the kingy and commisserations to Brett for the dropped flattie.

It sounds like you had a top day on the water and thanks to Chef, the locale and the SPs.

Enjoy eating that king mate and well done.

Just love reading interesting reports like yours and Chef's...makes being a Raider fun.

Cheers,

Pete.

Top work Ross.

At some point us bearded ones need to make a stand against these rebels and show'em who's boss.

May help to see Tony and get some more line.

Great report Chef!

Well done on an awesome day. I bet your decky is addicted now. :thumbup:

Thanks for helping out the bearded one. He needs all the help he can get! :tease::074:

Don't worry Ross. The fish aren't the only things you scare either! Nice report from you as well mate.

Cheers,

Grant.