Little Manly Point 7/3/07

bbenny

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I dont have any fish to display this report, but I couldnt help but share my excitement after this mornings session down at little manly point!

My brother Chris and I both went down to little manly for another session, hopefully to land some bonito, frigates and kingies. We got down at about 7am and managed to score our favourite rock as there wasnt another fisherman in sight!

We burlyed up hard with pillies and bread, and not alot was happening at all! usually we get alot of little bream, blackfish and yakkas going nuts which tends to bring in the odd salmon or bonnie for a look... but today nothing, and after an hour we were loosing hope as none of our sp's were being touched or even chased... we did notice a school of what we thought were tailor within the burly trail but they werent interested in anything but the bread... so it clicked, they were mullet out there! a quick change to some small unweighted hooks and bread for bait landed two good looking mullet which were quickly filleted and thrown out to see what else might be lurking about.... another hour and nothing! So we were out of burly, bait was useless and we had lost all hope... well almost. Chris wanted to go home, but i insisted we go over to the pool and flick some sp's for bream around the pylons... again nothing. But we noticed some insanely big bait fish flying high in the air as something was going absolutely nuts after them. We bailed from the pool and ran around to the western side of the point (facing towards manly warf) so we packed up and bolted around the head, threw on our biggest soft plastics, as the bait we saw from the pool was pretty big and started casting. but it looked like we missed it. they had settled and nothing was going for the sp's or the popper...

We both sat on the wall pretty unhappy with our morning of fishing, I was pretty burnt as i left my shirt in the car and we were both fantasizing about owning a boat and going to the markers for some kings... when all of a sudden i saw something amazing! A school of huge, and i mean BIG kings swam right by our feet! literally 30cm from the wall. There was about 10 in total and they were at least 1.2m each and very fat! I couldnt beleive it! I knew that none of our tackle would have a chance against one of these monsters, and even if it did we had to lift it 3m up the wall we were fishing from...

Frantically we cast our lures right in front of their noses... my heart had stopped beating for at least about 5 seconds and breathing wasnt an option ...a couple turned and followed my plastic but wouldnt take it! the frustration was unbearable. we managed to get a few casts right infront but they werent taking... off they swam back into the deep. After about 5 minutes of casting nothing was to be seen. Then all of a sudden one comes right up close and wacks my 145mm flickbait! but in all the excitement i struck too soon!! arrgghhh nothing on the end of my line! All i wanted was to feel the pull of a huge kingie! i knew i couldnt land it, but i wanted the experience! then all of a sudden they came by our feet again! 10 massive hoodlums. we cast frantically but nothing again... they look, follow but wouldnt take it...

By now its about 12:30 and im well and truely toasted, but dont want to risk the walk back to the car incase i miss some action... After not seeing anything for a while we decided to head over the otherside of the point and try there. After a few casts still nothing, but i had a bunch of squid going nuts for my little shad. So on goes the squid jig and we pull up a few squid straight away!

Its back on for sure! we have squid (first time ive actually caught them). "According to everyone on raiders we are pretty much guaranteed a kingy now" I said to chris... Well i must have jinxed us, because we didnt get a thing after throwing out the head and strips unweighted....

So we called it a day... So much excitement and not one decent fish was caught! But the fact we know they are there is more than enough to motivate us to keep trying!

Out of curiosity what is the best way to rid live squid for some shore based action?

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by bbenny

:1yikes: WOAH... That's awesome, bbenny. :thumbup::yahoo: Next time, take down a heavier rod and cast out a live squid or mullet - that's the ticket to a big kingie! Shame that you missed one on the flickbait... ah well... "that's fishing" I guess. That's what keeps us coming back.

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Hi Guys,

Unfortunately I dont have any fish to display this report, but I couldnt help but share my excitement after this mornings session down at little manly point!

My brother Chris and I both went down to little manly for another session, hopefully to land some bonito, frigates and kingies. We got down at about 7am and managed to score our favourite rock as there wasnt another fisherman in sight!

We burlyed up hard with pillies and bread, and not alot was happening at all! usually we get alot of little bream, blackfish and yakkas going nuts which tends to bring in the odd salmon or bonnie for a look... but today nothing, and after an hour we were loosing hope as none of our sp's were being touched or even chased... we did notice a school of what we thought were tailor within the burly trail but they werent interested in anything but the bread... so it clicked, they were mullet out there! a quick change to some small unweighted hooks and bread for bait landed two good looking mullet which were quickly filleted and thrown out to see what else might be lurking about.... another hour and nothing! So we were out of burly, bait was useless and we had lost all hope... well almost. Chris wanted to go home, but i insisted we go over to the pool and flick some sp's for bream around the pylons... again nothing. But we noticed some insanely big bait fish flying high in the air as something was going absolutely nuts after them. We bailed from the pool and ran around to the western side of the point (facing towards manly warf) so we packed up and bolted around the head, threw on our biggest soft plastics, as the bait we saw from the pool was pretty big and started casting. but it looked like we missed it. they had settled and nothing was going for the sp's or the popper...

We both sat on the wall pretty unhappy with our morning of fishing, I was pretty burnt as i left my shirt in the car and we were both fantasizing about owning a boat and going to the markers for some kings... when all of a sudden i saw something amazing! A school of huge, and i mean BIG kings swam right by our feet! literally 30cm from the wall. There was about 10 in total and they were at least 1.2m each and very fat! I couldnt beleive it! I knew that none of our tackle would have a chance against one of these monsters, and even if it did we had to lift it 3m up the wall we were fishing from...

Frantically we cast our lures right in front of their noses... my heart had stopped beating for at least about 5 seconds and breathing wasnt an option ...a couple turned and followed my plastic but wouldnt take it! the frustration was unbearable. we managed to get a few casts right infront but they werent taking... off they swam back into the deep. After about 5 minutes of casting nothing was to be seen. Then all of a sudden one comes right up close and wacks my 145mm flickbait! but in all the excitement i struck too soon!! arrgghhh nothing on the end of my line! All i wanted was to feel the pull of a huge kingie! i knew i couldnt land it, but i wanted the experience! then all of a sudden they came by our feet again! 10 massive hoodlums. we cast frantically but nothing again... they look, follow but wouldnt take it...

By now its about 12:30 and im well and truely toasted, but dont want to risk the walk back to the car incase i miss some action... After not seeing anything for a while we decided to head over the otherside of the point and try there. After a few casts still nothing, but i had a bunch of squid going nuts for my little shad. So on goes the squid jig and we pull up a few squid straight away!

Its back on for sure! we have squid (first time ive actually caught them). "According to everyone on raiders we are pretty much guaranteed a kingy now" I said to chris... Well i must have jinxed us, because we didnt get a thing after throwing out the head and strips unweighted....

So we called it a day... So much excitement and not one decent fish was caught! But the fact we know they are there is more than enough to motivate us to keep trying!

Out of curiosity what is the best way to rid live squid for some shore based action?

Cheers,

Ben.

Ben i'v caught king as big as 20kgs here in sydney, lord howe island and northcoast of nsw

If you won't any tips give us a call mate chrisyourplumber@yahoo.com.au

post-3449-1173260127_thumb.jpg

Cool story Ben, I can just picture the big king following your lure and that feeling when your heart stops. That's enough to get you back there again and again. Good luck next time when you soak a couple of live squid.

Trent

hey guys im new to this forum but im mainly on sydney fish finder...i was down at little manly last week when you guys caught the salmon and friget i came down for like 5 mins to c if there were any bust up but there was nothing so i left i was at little manly yesturday and i managed to hook one of those big king on a live friget mack,i got it to the ledge after 15 mins and i seen him he was probably 13kg which is the 1.2m mark and 1 last run and he done me on the oyster ledge ...what a bugger but i mainly do LBG from blue fish,nth head and the ovens,i managed to get a 22kg on sat from the northern beaches...If you are a member of the sydney fish finder forum you can c my pics,other wise on the home page of sydney fish finder there is a big king that i got a week befor xmas so check it out

hey guys im new to this forum but im mainly on sydney fish finder...i was down at little manly last week when you guys caught the salmon and friget i came down for like 5 mins to c if there were any bust up but there was nothing so i left i was at little manly yesturday and i managed to hook one of those big king on a live friget mack,i got it to the ledge after 15 mins and i seen him he was probably 13kg which is the 1.2m mark and 1 last run and he done me on the oyster ledge ...what a bugger but i mainly do LBG from blue fish,nth head and the ovens,i managed to get a 22kg on sat from the northern beaches...If you are a member of the sydney fish finder forum you can c my pics,other wise on the home page of sydney fish finder there is a big king that i got a week befor xmas so check it out

AWESOME... Huge baits = huge fish! :thumbup:

Flattieman.

Cool repprt mate.

Gotta love the passion that comes with fishing and at times the intense adrenalin.

I caught a jewie of the beach this year and it was a great high. I rode that feeling for days until my family got sick of hearing it. I am sure you learnt something out of that experience that will take ya a step closer to tangling with a hood in the not too distant future.