Beach Session South Coast

choad

Hello fellow raiders.

I just returned from a weekend down south near ulladulla. The plan was to fish rock and lake with beach as a fallback option. With the southerly change, rock conditions were too rough.

I fished beach on saturday and sunday .

Saturday morning, woke up to a rainy cold sunrise after the southerly moved in. Hit the southern end of the beach thinking it may provide a bit of protection. With no time for a worm or nipper pump the day before, it was frozen pillies and prawns for bait. There was a nice gutter about 20 metres out. My dad dropped his gear and bucket, put a bait on and was in the water in 10 seconds flat. I still had to re-rig after my last rock session. Before i could tie on a sinker and swivel, dad was pumping on his twelve foot grinning like all his birthdays had come at once. I couldn't tie my line any quicker! He pulled out a salmon of around 40cm.

For the next two hours, every cast produced a solid bite with salmon, tailor, bream and trevally beached. About 15 fish were kept that morning, several salmon and a smaller bream returned. The most interesting catch was a personal first... a blackfish on a half pilly!

Went back in the afternoon. The weather just got worse during the day. The wind and waves picked up and I gave up after 1 hour of very uncomfortable fishing weather.

Went back the next morning. The pictures below tell the story.

Tailor were biting this morning. No salmon. Saw a few bream and whiting pulled out on beach worm by the guys next to us. Happy with the feed I scored yesterday, I decided to put on a metal and surf spin (another personal first). First cast, dropped the lure in close to the rocks at the southern end of the beach and turned the reel over. Within two seconds, felt head shakes with a decent bend on the rod. I’m on! Out comes a nice tailor of around 40-45cm.

Throw it back in, same result! “I’m on!”. Fish spits the hook after 10 seconds. I pulled out about 5 tailor on the metal, lost even more. Things started getting quiet. I thought I’d throw a few more in and have a break. My mind started to drift when all of a sudden… BANG! I almost lost the rod! 30Lb fireline peeling off the reel, the 12foot bent over like a little trout rod, and my line heading right towards the rocky headland. I started running down the beach trying to pull it away from the rocks. The fish turned, stayed deep in the water the whole time, my imagination ran wild… Jewie? King? Please let me see it before it busts me off? 10 minutes later I beached the largest salmon I’ve ever caught. Over 5kg (cleaned) and 90cm. What a feeling. It dwarfed all the other fish.

Enjoy the picks. Pulled out the blackfish from the day before just for the photo.

post-2871-1174296666_thumb.jpg

post-2871-1174296752_thumb.jpg

some more pics.

post-2871-1174297263_thumb.jpg

post-2871-1174297283_thumb.jpg

Guest dicko1

What a giant of a salmon!! must be stoked with that effort! I guess you will be eating fish for a while now!! :1prop:

Thumper salmon Choad and a great bag of fish.

Yes, definitely should be entered into the records section as well as FOTM.

I guess we know where you'll be heading next outing down that way. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Pete.

GREAT EFFORT mate! :thumbup:

Is it just me but have those 2 thumper bream/trevally? ( in the middle and at the bottom in the pic) slipped under the radar.....??

check the size of the em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

must be some good nutrients in the water down there!

Edited by KINGvirgin

GREAT EFFORT mate! :thumbup:

Is it just me but have those 2 thumper bream/trevally? ( in the middle and at the bottom in the pic) slipped under the radar.....??

check the size of the em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

must be some good nutrients in the water down there!

yeah, nice bream (below) and trevally (middle).

apparently some 40+cm whiting were also being pulled the week before.

yeah, nice bream (below) and trevally (middle).

apparently some 40+cm whiting were also being pulled the week before.

:1yikes: that trevally is a monster and that bream is healthy too! ( did u measure them?)

i love the SC it is a fishing paradise!

whereabouts were u fishing , i am down in those parts on a regular basis