Tunes On The Water

sc0pe

hi guys, who listens to music when out on the water?

im looking to install a marine radio and a am/fm radio with speakers in the next few weeks in my tinny.

just wondering whats available and a neat way to mount it.

thinking about mounting the speakers into the thwarts but the mounting of the radios has me buggered.

cheers

i was thinking about something handheld, still may even go that way yet. maybe buy a decent waterproof sterio that can run off 12v maybe?

will look into it.

ps, i dont want something loud, as kingsrule says, just something to pass the time and for when the mrs is onboard ;)

i was thinking about something handheld, still may even go that way yet. maybe buy a decent waterproof sterio that can run off 12v maybe?

will look into it.

ps, i dont want something loud, as kingsrule says, just something to pass the time and for when the mrs is onboard ;)

Yea, probably a waterproof one wud be the best and most sensible option.. I'm not too sure about installing the speakers on the actual tinnie itself though... I'd say just stick to the portable radio :)

shant

Seen a great setup recently that may suite you down to the ground

being a tinnie and short of space - this is what I would do:

buy your radio, speaker & arial - water proof ones from bias or similar

Buy some plywood and build a box - similar to those speaker boxes you see in the boot of those pimped up 4 cylinder jap cars (you know the ones)

with this box - you mount everything - your speaker at the side or top - youe stereo & arial, your iline fuse and with your power wires use aligator clips to your battery.

You can also add a couple of drink holders. and line with marine carpet - a couple of handles and what ever else you can think off

you then have a portable stereo that is easily removed from you boat and well as being practical elsewhere.

post-3790-1174823632_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Flintstones

I was looking at the Clarion unit that's been released. Ipod connectable plus it's water proof. Not a glorified unit that has a cover over it. Been threw to many of them to try again.

Was just told Sony are bring in a new marine series. Cheaper, alot cheaper........

I love having music on the boat, takes the edge off while in comps and socially while eating lunch it's just plain nice!

G

I always have a radio onboard, just a $20 cheapo.

Had it for years and its great, batteries last forever.During footy season it is awesome and at night when it can get a little too quiet for me.

Also handy for checking traffic reports before heading home, saved myself a few hold ups in the past.Just stay out a little longer, haha.

Only problem comes when mates have had a few too many beers and the singing starts...."We built this city on sausage rolls"

Edited by strikey pete

Guest Aussie007

my last boat (half cabin) come with a radio installed it was probably the most used thing on the boat great for inbetween convo's and when taking a nap listin to some music im thinking about putting one in my tinny aswell nothing worse than 12 hours of fishing in dead silence

I've been thinking about installing a sound system in my boat for a long time now, but i came to a conclusion that its just not practical, no space to put it, and drains to much battery life (subwoofer and amp)

might just get a portable one for when i start jew fishing

I used to have one in my boat for playing some tunes....nothing like some hip hop to get you in the mood...but have no since taken it out as it stuffed up....do wanna get another one but cant be stuffed at the moment...and plus...lately i have been enjoying the sounds of screaming reels alot better

I had one in my Hornet, and fitted a better unit in my Stratos. One thing is, I've had three waterproof CD head units, big brand name, and all have failed. For the Stratos, I fitted a stardard auto Pioneer unit in a waterproof housing. It's hooked up to a 1000 watt JBL amp which is hooked to a pair of 6" Pioneer two way speakers and a 10" JBL Sub. The head deck features a direct iPod input so my 80 gig iPod sits in a phone holder on the dash. I'm about to fit a pair of 6" x 9" 3 ways so I don't have to run the amp all the time. I have a 70AH Deep Cycle battery which just runs the stereo, and the 9" portable DVD player. I'm also in the process of fitting a 19" LCD screen under the front hatch for night sessions at Awoonga. I've got some photos somewhere!

aussiebasser i take it your nick is not cause you go bass fishing. Nice doof doof there.

I installed my old concord amp I had sitting in my garage from the good old cortina from my hay days. Connected to a pair of AltecLansing Box speakers. I plug my ipod straight into the amp and never leave it running without the motor running. Beats listening to the two stroke.

Would love to put second battery in and ad a bit more bottom end. Ill wait till by mid life crisis!!

Otherwise sounds good especially when the kids play High 5 cruising down the georges.

ScOpe, GME100, very small am/fm which I mounted under the side deck on my tinny with speakers up front under the nose either side of the anchor well. Marine radio and waterproof, all up cost with aerial about $230. I will try and get some pics for you to see. This setup works very well and considering I usually fish solo, it's nice to listen to music or talk back when I'm on the water. Also good for regular weather reports.

Tuffy