Mixed Bag Harbour

Chef was kind enough to let me tag along for a spin in the harbour for what he called a 'mix bag'.

"this boat here always produces for us" says the chef, 5 seconds later i look up and he has a huge grin on his face and his bream rod loaded with 4lbs and 6lb leader is bent over. Damm his first cast- i'm still trying to decide between the Zoom and gulp. His reel starts to scream and i'm following his line as it headed for a mooring line. A short but exiting fight that ends like many fights with a kingie- busted off. Chef is all cool, shrugs his shoulders " happens sometimes when using light line" like he just lost another pinkie. I land a nice taylor ( 47cm) which i hoped may be a small king but a pb for me none the less, then a hard fighting trevally (37cm) pb number 2.

Pinkies become a pain so we move. " small bait fish like to shelter in this little reef so a kingie or two may be around" says the chef, a couple of casts later same huge grin same bent over rod. The fight was long and hard, a couple of times we thought we had lost him at a rudder then at the anchor rope but great rod work including dunking all but the reel in the water kept the kingie from busting off. lucky the boat had a kota and we could follow him around for a good 8-10 minutes before we saw colour. He had 3-4 more screaming run left in him before finally being boated using 4lb line. I couldn't possibly convey the excitment and adreniline rush of that capture but i'm sure you can imagine it. chef can verify the measurement but it would have been easily over 70cm.

We had consitent hits all morning and i picked up my pb number 3 with a 35 cm bream while chef picked up a leagal snapper and a 60cm flattie.

By 11 the wind had picked up and the hits had stopped. tried a few other bays, met up with a couple of mates and picked up an over priced meat pie at rushcutters bay and went back to the ramp.

a great morning session :yahoo:

post-2525-1175407542_thumb.jpg

post-2525-1175408455_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1975

Nice report, Billy! :thumbup: Looks like a great session - congrats on your 3PBs! :thumbup::yahoo: Landing that kingie on 4lb is a great effort, Chef. :thumbup: I can relate to the fancy rodwork - sometimes, you've just gotta dunk it and keep your fingers crossed!

Flattieman.

congrats on the PB's.. but that snapper and bream are looking a little small in that pic don't u think.... :(

Everything looks small in that pic, Shant. I think it was taken from a decent height and a weird angle. Would that be right, Billy? I certainly don't know these fellas as guys who would keep undersized fish! Take a look at the proper bream pic for comparison.

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Congrats 1975 on the PB,s :thumbup: sounds like you had a great day with

lots of mixed species

but that snapper and bream are looking a little small in that pic don't u think.... :(

:nono:

Shant please refer to site rules CLICK HERE FOR SITE RULES

especially rule 15

Regards

Johnno

Please keep this thread on track

Thank you

Edited by johnno

Hey guys.. sorry if anyone was offended before but i wa just stating what i thought... I didnt realise that the bream in the second picture is the same as the one found in the first..

once again my apologies

shant

Well done on your PB's Billy ! :thumbup:

We also had a pretty good day out on the Harbour , 3 legal flatties and a 60CM grinner !! Not to mention numerous pinkies !

Ross

Thanks Ross

thought we might have seen you on saturday, did you use those squid caught the other night? Also whats a grinner?

billy

No worries Shant, no offence taken at all. It is a really weird pic.

Just for the record, all our sizes are to the fork, not the tail length. This makes it easier when doing ABT comps etc as it becomes a habbit and you don't forget how the different sizes effect your catch as per their rules.

The one thing you don't see properley in the pic is Billy's smile. It was ear to ear all day. :biggrin2:

Edited by Chef