Excessive Fishing Gear

Guest Boppa

G'Day all

I try and read all the posts submitted and have come to the conclusion that it seems that people who seem to have everything still are compulsive to keep going for more.

While I have no problem with this, I'm just wondering how much of this you can or do use at all.

I can understand having different gear for Fly, Lure and bait etc but some of you guys seem to have gear that may never be used at all or very slightly.

Myself I seem only to buy enough to keep me fishing happily but never run out on the day and my rod selection is minimal but I still seem to come home with a feed.

Now I would like to point out I'm not by any means having a shot at anyone's collection.

But I would like to know is whats the average amount of:-

1. Rods people own.

2. Amount of lures.

3. Reels.

4. And anything else you can think of :1prop:

Hope too hear from you all :beersmile::beersmile:

Boppa

I understand that Pete

I'm looking at it from a small tinny fisho who hasn't got much room and occasionaly shore based.

I'm wondering and pretty sure that maybe I'm not geared up enough :1yikes::1yikes:

Look out tackle shops :1clap::1clap:

But to me I don't know if I can justify upgrading every time if nothing is broken

Cheers

Boppa

:074::074:

As I said Andrew not having a shot at anyones collection, in fact I wish I could have one like yours (but I don't work for Ross :1yikes: )

I'm just interested as I know we have looked at peoples lure collections and I thought I would raise this one mate :1prop:

Maybe you and I can start up a hire business, your gear and my brains......nah that won't work you'll be the only one contributing :1prop::1prop:

Boppa

When it comes to fishing with rods and reels I try to limit myself to 7 on the boat, but usually take 9. This gives me a range of options and line classes for the day.

Lures are a bit like jewellery to women, you will always find something else you like and the old one is put in the bottom draw.

All up I would have about 30 outfits, which I enjoy, its part of the fun.

The trick is to hide them from the wife or convince her you have always had that out fit. Having left game fishing behind and now concentrating on Hawkesbury and Broken Bay area it’s taken about 18 months to get this many. I have only kept a few of my game outfits. I am reasonably happy I have most bases covered and take my 7-year-old son out with me most of the time. Some of the gear is an evolution process as you upgrade to better gear and relegate the old to visiting learners.

However there is always room for just one more outfit.

For me storage on the boat is a problem, which can only mean I need a new boat. Which I will buy as soon as I get my trousers back from wife and I convince her she should be wearing the dress.

HeY Swoffa,

I'm going to copy and paste your post, print it out and show the :wife:

That should put pay to her bellyachin re my tackle purchases!!

I have about 60-70 rods. Not all of them have reels, and not all of them I bought myself, mostly inherited off dad as he doesnt really fish anymore. I still need a couple more, most are lying in a corner awaiting rebuilding and I actually get around to rebuilding about 1 maybe 2 per year. :1tongue: I don't consider myself a tackle addict at all, I only by stuff that I really need these days.

Bloody Nora!.....some of you have amazing amounts of gear.

I have only been fishing for 1 year now, so haven't collected much gear.

I have 3 rods, 4 reels, maybe 10 lures and a bundle of different SP's.

And my wife thinks that's excessive :wife:

Today I surprised myself and walked out of the new Australian Bass Angler store without buying anything :1yikes: .

I stood in front of the plastics especially the Berkley's for what seemed like hours :D but everything I looked at, I either had or I didn't like and I have around 100 packs of opened and unopened plastics at home anyway which is nothing compared to some :-rolleyes .

I then looked at reels and thought no, then I'll have to buy a matching rod and visa-versa and I have around ten estuary rods and reels that dont get used as it is then there was the Triton's :1yikes::1yikes: , then I knew I just had to get out :biggrin2:

Today was probably the first time I have ever walked out of a tackle store without buying anything, so you guys that think you need help, all is not lost.

The store only looks half stocked so I'm sure when it's fully stocked i'll make up for today and then some :D .

Edited by Ozy

Guest Big-Banana

I have to have a few types of rods and reels for the different types of fishing we d, but I say we have about 20 rods all with reels which accomodates ppl who come on the boat without gear. They are all used on a regular basis.

'At the moment' ive got 6 rod-reel combos, box of lures and plastics. Same as Milts the :wife: thinks thats excessive.

After a while I think you can just become a collector. You go into a tackle store not needing anything but you are hell bent on buying something-anything.

If you leave the store without purchase (rare event) something feels wrong. Like buyers remorse in reverse.

I bought a new rod and reel yesterday. Dont know why, just did. Had to have it. Couldnt leave the shop without one,a voice in my head just said that I really needed a new rod and reel.

You guys are scaring me with your 50 rods and 400 lures etc. Cant help but think ill end up there as well the way im going. Crazy, mental patient, pyschotic ,excessive compulsive,loony tune, fisho with 5000 bucks worth of gear. Just like Swoffa. :harhar: Geez I hope so !!! :icon_peace:

Im all of the above so far except without the gear !

Guest bluecod

My missus reckons I've got a fair bit of gear, but she's wrong and always has been.

I've got enough estuary, boat and beach gear to outfit myself and two kids -when asked to explain her 80 pairs of shoes she can offer no explanation, particularly seeing that both our kids are boys.

I'm waiting to see what happens once Swoffa realises sometimes you need a different style of boat for a different style of fishing :1yikes:

Mate I am fairly proud of my collection, it is much smaller than most at 12 rod/reels overall but I have slowly built them up to a collection that I do not have rod that is a preference. It includes 4 bream spin rods, 2 Bass spin rods, 2 bass baitcasters, 2 heavy spin rods and 2 heavy bottom bashers. I have never had a preference of brand, I just look for the rod that best suits the way I will be using it. My taste and personal requirements for rods and reels has changed often over the last few years. My sp and hb lure collection is fairly small, I can fit about 70% of them in my tackle bag. Nothing really excessive and I use most of my stuff most of the time. Unfortunately it is a small due to my expensive taste. If I had more available cash I think I would own alot more gear.

Edited by Rick T

Hi Rick

Your lot sounds a bit like mine but I'm not having a go at anyone for what they have I'm just interested in what people have to catch fish according to their needs, boat size etc

Cheers mate

Boppa

Rick is a perfect example of having a decent amount of gear without being excessive. However me personally I dabble in pretty much all forms of fishing except for fly. I have rods suitable for all rock/beach scenarios, baitcasters from 2kg to 8kg, threadline gear from 2kg to 10/15kg and overheads up to 24kg standup so I need all my gear because of the variety in my fishing styles. Some weekends will often see my luderick fishing on the sat, an arvo spin at avoca goon and maybe an offshore trip too, so I gotta have a handy selection of outfits. I try to minimise it all by using the reels on different rods. :thumbup:

actually one thing that has been happening recently to me is that if I have a good day with a particular lure I will go out and buy way too many of them. Then I find the next time I try them they don't produce and something else does. rinse. repeat....

Cheers,

Hugh

Does that mean that having rods in the corner still with the tags on them is having too much gear ?????????????????????????????????

Like i tell the :wife: this is all home work and they have to be in the house because fishing gear has feelings to ya know.

But seriously i dont think that i have too much gear just enough