Do You Prefer 2 Stroke Or 4 Stroke?

Laredo

Hey swordfisheram

I didn't go into specifics about boat, because I just wanted gauge the general broad preferences for motor type

That said I am thinking about a 4.6 metre fibreglass boat with centre console... main use aprt from getting from A to B quickly will be downrigging

A better question would be Do you prefer Carby 2-Stroke, 4-Stroke or Direct Injected 2-Stroke? If you asked me that I personally would prefer a DI 2-Stroke (like the E-TEC / OPTIMAX or HPDI) because it gives you the best of both worlds without any real disadvantages. As mentioned though, it is like the proverbial Ford vs Holden arguement and there will be different strokes for different folks, and that is what is good about a free market like us, it is upto you to decide which is best for your situation.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Huey.

personally would prefer a DI 2-Stroke (like the E-TEC / OPTIMAX or HPDI) because it gives you the best of both worlds without any real disadvantages.

Huey.

Hewey Correct , until you get to the price then there is a big difference

Laredo. I went through a similiar exercise several years ago & decided on a 2s as it was the least expensive over a 5 -7 year period for what suited my situation.

There are many aspects when deciding on a motor which include frequency of use , distance to travel , long or shot time trolling etc , etc.

To give you a few examples ,

If traveling long distances off shore frequently then 4s or E TEC should be considered as the additional cost for the motor & servicing are offset by the fuel economy

If planning to do extensive low speed trolling , ie < 6 knots then again 4s should be considered

If occusional use with short to medium distances & perhaps a bit of trolling then 2s

The bottom line is , determine what you plan to use the boat / motor for , the frequency then do the mathamatics on which is the most cost efficient.

Geoff

Something else to consider .....

A 2 stroke has 2 moving parts in the head . A 4 stroke can have up to 126!!! Anything that moves will eventually wear out.

With the advent of 2 stroke engines that meet both the U.S. and European emission standards , the gap between the two types of engine is rapidly narrowing. 2 strokes tend to be a little bit faster "out of the hole " , whilst the four strokes have a very wide and tractable power band. 2 stroke engines are generally lighter than a comparable powered 4 stroke. Servicing costs for a 4 stroke can be higher than a 2 stroke , but 2 strokes ( the new generation Etecs etc ) require a synthetic 2 stroke oil , which is more expensive than ordinary 2 stroke oil .

So , you pays your money , and makes your choice!!

Ross

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works & toss in the sterndrive option. I've got one & I love it! They don't suit all applications, odviously, but for my situation...perfect! :thumbup: Economical, reasonably cheap to service, aids stability of the boat, and in my case, there's 220hp of V8 grunt there when I need it (Waterskiing etc.) :thumbup::thumbup:

As mentioned mate it all depends on what you wanna do with it...

For offshore trolling, Marlin chasing and long long trips a 4 stroke is hard to beat for its fuel economy alone.

For downrigging etc....a 4 stroke is good because of its quiet running but i use a 2 stroke and have never had any problems getting the fish to bite...many pro's say that king fish and other species actually will investigate noise so a louder motor could be a good thing.

But you gotta take into acount the extra purchase costs and the extra service costs with a 4 stroke and as mentioned its reliability factor ( which can be argued).

My next boat will be fitted with a 4 stroke mainly because i plan to do alot of offshore trips but if i was to stick to the estauries i would get a 2 stroke.

Thats my opininion

2 stroke for me as I like a motor that screams when I drive the ring out of it! :biggrin2:

Fuel and oil, they all use heaps when there is only 2 speeds, FAST & STOP! :thumbup:

I use to love my Mercs and yep they are still great but my latest ETEC HO is awesome, might not have that scream of a Merc but geez it's got some grunt!

From 50mph to 70mph it pulls like a 6lt Clubsport!!

I never thought you could have a off the shelf boat and motor that sucks you into your seat like a car can!

BUT

If I fished off shore it would be a different story, I would have 2 HO's on the back! LOL

Greg

Guest lets go fishn

It all comes down to YOU!

What do you want.

Forget about what others want you have to be happy with it.

I suppose its just like a car what you like not others

Cheers mate :thumbup:

I have just purchased a new 75HP Etec , ( gets installed on Tuesday) . I am sure I will bore you all to death when I take it out !!

Main reason for purchase was price , $9500 fitted. $2,500 cheaper than other dealers, it was too good to miss !!

Ross