Those Damned Mullett

Brad Duffell

yea im guessing it the start of the 'mullet run'.

all you need is a small hook, the ones you use to catch yakkas etc..size 12 i think.

and a float. not the hardest fish to catch.

the trick with the bread is to squash one end of a tiny bit around the hook, and you should be left with a squashed bit around your hook and the top bit of the bread is still soft and fluffy..that way it will stay afloat. i hope this made sense! :wacko:

Cheers

Davy

P.S gotta get my hands on a couple and turn them into fillets for the social beach sessions!

post-1543-1177230358_thumb.jpg

post-1543-1177230364_thumb.jpg

that should explain it!.. put the hook through the squashed bit and finish with the point just below where the fluffy bit ends!

about sinkers, i dont tend to use them but if its windy then yea but i find the mullet dont really go on the bite as much when theres wind anyways.

Cheers

Davy

PS im really bored.

Edited by Davy

For little mullets try using davy's method.

what i do is i use treble hooks for those really big fat mullets(30cm+). SIze 8 treble hooks. You wrap a strip of bread around with hooks sticking out. squish it a bit so it will stay on the hook. Try not to make it too fluffy. Use light line 4lb or 6lb. Trace from float should be around 25cm. You dont want the bread to be too deep unless you want to target other fishes aswell.

Usually u need one split shot. Depending on the current. If u're not using one, what i do is i reel in a bit just to make the unweighted bread float to the top and while the mullet sees that they chase it.

FLOATS: what i have learnt is that mullets gets attracted to reflection. I see them attack a coke bottle. So i use a clear float. I prefer not to use bobby floats. Usually they attack my float instead of my bread lol but if you reel in a bit the bread will float right up to the surface and they'll take a bit on it.

And wen you're trying to get them to come, whip ur rod a bit to make some vibration on your plastic clear float. Wen you bob the float a bit they sense it.

check out my POST

nah it was right in the mouth!

weird ey?

but the lure was very small and white so maybe thought it was bread??

was fishing with kingsrule (rob) he will tell u it was in the mouth

p.s. i was kidding about the big metal :P

Edited by lurespinner

Try looking up an old post by Roberta tittled "What is your favourite mullet float?".The description and pics are there on how to make them and they seem to work for her.I have not made any yet but plan to one day and give them a spin also as I never catch the dam things either.Hope this helps.

Cheers

Suffo :beersmile:

Try looking up an old post by Roberta tittled "What is your favourite mullet float?".The description and pics are there on how to make them and they seem to work for her.I have not made any yet but plan to one day and give them a spin also as I never catch the dam things either.Hope this helps.

Cheers

Suffo :beersmile:

oh yea i read that the other day...looks the goods!

I once saw a 15 yo kid disappear into the darkness on a sandbar at The Entrance one night.

He had a 16' rod with a huge treble hook on it.

He shone his torch to find the school and cast into the school and jagged them.

20 minutes later he returned with a bucket full.

Many years ago we used to use a dough mixture , flour & water mixed into a thick paste then add cotton wool to give the dough some substance.

Any one used this method recently or is it just easier to use bread

Geoff

with a big metal and bigger trebles cast through the school :P

i was casting a small white frigate metal at them (8g) and hooked one in the mouth last tuesday so maybe an idea?

you see, like i said, mullets gets attracted to reflection. Thats why they go for metals aswell. Not because they like bait fish but they like reflection :biggrin2:

• 2 weeks later...

....He shone his torch to find the school and cast into the school and jagged them.....

I believe that deliberately jagging fish is illegal & not to be recommended to anyone!

Cheers

Roberta

however for aboriginals it is legal. I saw this aboriginal guy at iron cove, he was teaching my friend how to catch mullet the fast way. He ties 7 size 6/O hooks on one 25lb line and casts into the school and reel it in quickly. and he managed to get like 5 mullets in one go.

Many years ago we used to use a dough mixture , flour & water mixed into a thick paste then add cotton wool to give the dough some substance.

Any one used this method recently or is it just easier to use bread

Geoff

this method is my preferred method down at the nepean as the dough sticks very well to the hook and rebaiting is rare. the mullet tend to go for the dough over bread in my opinion.

Yeah that mullet tom got was dead set hooked in the mouth, pretty rare!

Mullet annoy the hell outta me , especially the big ones! jumping 3 foot out of the water for a tease :1prop:

might have to try the dough idea though.

...... however for aboriginals it is legal......

Hmmmmm, Don't know about it being legal - Page 24 of the Saltwater Fishing Guide 2006/2007 says:

post-2231-1178190212_thumb.png

I know some do (and other people, too) - I have seen it being done off Seven Mile Beach with schools of Australian Salmon. Can't see where it says it is legal for anyone. It is up to the Gov depts to police it.

Roberta

Hey Geoff

My Dad used to use that method back in the 50's/60's. I just roll the fresh white bread flat (after removing the crusts ... for burley) then slice it 7 or 8 times each way, giving about 50 squares. Perfect for size 10 - 12 hooks. Fold each in half again & squeeze tightly before putting on the hook & it stays on for ages. 2 slices of bread lasts all day!

Edited by Roberta