Sydney Harbour 28/4

Guest Big-Banana

Guest Big-Banana

Gday Everyone,

Decided to have one last shot at the Kings in Sydney Harbour. Forecast looked good except for the rain but we planned to wake up at 4am and get too the ramp by 5am. I woke up to find it pissing down with rain, so we held off leaving until 6am.

Got to Rosehill Ramp at 6am and launched off and began searching for some squid. Rain held off and I was pretty confident that we would snag a few. I got two good size squid in two casts and we eventually got 5 in around an hour.

These were really good size for downrigging so we headed to the markers of Middle Head to see what was home. Not much unfortunately apart from a sh*tload of pickers :thumbdown:

We continued to perceivered and trolled a fresh squid around a few markers and briefly out around South Head. No takers but not too disappointed seeing as we pretty much knew they were getting a bit scarce.

So with a whole heap of squid we motored towards the ramp and stopped off for a quick drift and to soak some bait. Caught a heap of small Snapper, Bream, Trevally and one honker Fan-Tailed Leatherjacket. Stopped off at another spot and tied up to an old pontoon, sourced some live crabs and threw one out for nothing substantial.

Also caught this fish, any ideas what it is? Certainly pulled hard!

post-16-1177748721_thumb.jpg

Then headed back to the ramp, cleaned the remaining squid and headed home at around 2:30pm. A good day out. Just had a great meal of Calamari, I had forgotten how good it tasted fresh!

Just one question, we usually have no problem sourcing squid from the harbour, but what else can we target with fresh squid when the Kings aren't around? Any ideas would be great.

Edited by Big-Banana

Hey big banana,

It looks like one of the wrasse family, they are pretty common on the inshore reefs around sydney. Not sure exactly which wrasse, could be Gunthers Wrasse, there are 100's of different one.

PS: Jew and big reds also like live squid, so do the odd YFT et al.

Southerly

I would also guess that it is some kind of wrasse... as for squid pretty much every thing will eat them fresh. Use whole or the head for jew, i have heard that april/may is the best time for bronzies in the harbour with squid being the gun bate, strips will get you nice snapper, trevs, bream, tailor and almost anything else that comes along...

Gday Everyone,

Decided to have one last shot at the Kings in Sydney Harbour. Forecast looked good except for the rain but we planned to wake up at 4am and get too the ramp by 5am. I woke up to find it pissing down with rain, so we held off leaving until 6am.

Got to Rosehill Ramp at 6am and launched off and began searching for some squid. Rain held off and I was pretty confident that we would snag a few. I got two good size squid in two casts and we eventually got 5 in around an hour.

These were really good size for downrigging so we headed to the markers of Middle Head to see what was home. Not much unfortunately apart from a sh*tload of pickers :thumbdown:

We continued to perceivered and trolled a fresh squid around a few markers and briefly out around South Head. No takers but not too disappointed seeing as we pretty much knew they were getting a bit scarce.

So with a whole heap of squid we motored towards the ramp and stopped off for a quick drift and to soak some bait. Caught a heap of small Snapper, Bream, Trevally and one honker Fan-Tailed Leatherjacket. Stopped off at another spot and tied up to an old pontoon, sourced some live crabs and threw one out for nothing substantial.

Also caught this fish, any ideas what it is? Certainly pulled hard!

post-16-1177748721_thumb.jpg

Then headed back to the ramp, cleaned the remaining squid and headed home at around 2:30pm. A good day out. Just had a great meal of Calamari, I had forgotten how good it tasted fresh!

Just one question, we usually have no problem sourcing squid from the harbour, but what else can we target with fresh squid when the Kings aren't around? Any ideas would be great.