Hairtail

Thomas Mattarelli

Hey guys

just wondering if anyone has started fishing for Hairtail yet im REALY KEEN to give it a go but i will be landbased fishing and have never targeted these fish before anyone interested in meeting up for a fish at either bobbinhead or Cottagepoint some night in the next couple of weeks

it would be cool to start meeting some of you guys

thanks

Tom

Ive never caught a hairtail.

But for land based people, i think the picnic area between Cottage Point and Akuna Bay is one of the prefered places (can get busy i think)

It might be called Illawong Bay, but im not 100% sure. But i have described the location correctly.

Places like Waratah and Jeuruslam Bay get mentioned as Hairtail spots in the reports, but its fair walk to get there, especially at nite.

Hey guys

just wondering if anyone has started fishing for Hairtail yet im REALY KEEN to give it a go but i will be landbased fishing and have never targeted these fish before anyone interested in meeting up for a fish at either bobbinhead or Cottagepoint some night in the next couple of weeks

it would be cool to start meeting some of you guys

thanks

Tom

We use to get them on the concrete platform at Illawong Bay at night. But we never caught them any where else land based with in Cowan.

We use to fish with a bobby cork float and 4 x4/0 gang hooks and a whole pillie. The depth from float to bait was between 3-5 metres depending on the tide. Most of the hairies usually fed quite close to shore so there was no need to cast to far for them.

The other land based spot I heard about was up in Newcastle and I've heard of them caught before at Clifton Gardens. Has any one had any joy fishing those locations?

ill start going in about a month and a half..

illawong bay is a great spot, try and get down there on weekdays not weekends as it gets very busy.

my dad has also go a JD from that platform LB, so its definintely worth having yakkas on the bottem.

Thats awsome about clifton, have seen in a few books about them there but never seen any conformation.

How did you guys fish for them ? , just the usual pillies under floats?

off the wharf i presume?

if you want to get them early you will need to get to Box Head.they turn up there at this time and the pros are there waiting for them.thats why I think they are harder to get in Cowan as the pros thin them out before they reach there.