Wrong Way Salmon In Narra Lake

mrmoshe

Roosterman had asked me to join him down at Taronga Zoo for a go at the blackies this morning but I had things to do this morning but, I felt like a feed of flatties for dinner tonight as I was hanging out for that delicate taste of beer battered flattie fillets, so off I went down to Narra Lake armed as usual with some fresh whitebait.

Waded out to the channel from the southern side as I usually do and was getting pickers where I usually get flatties.

So I decided to move along a bit towards the end of the flats where there's a nice big hole off the side of the main channel.

First cast and WHAMMO!!!..This thing starts peeling line off my Stradic like there's no tomorrow!!

At first I thought one whopper flattie until it behaved very unlike a flattie. It started darting out left, then right

and every time I got some line back on 6lb mono, it would take another big run and had the drag screaming line.

I gently tightened the drag a little more hoping whatever it was wouldn't bust me off before I at least got a look at it.

This tussle went on for a good 15 minutes with me finally winning back enough line to see a big silver flank...no flattie this one I thought and way longer than a big bream, perhaps a jewie.

I finally got it near enough before he took another run to get the net under it only to see that it was an Australian salmon...IN THE LAKE!!!!

I couldn't believe my eyes as I have never heard of salmon in the lake before.

This bloke must have either been lost or washed into the lake on a high tide. A few other fishos were watching my fight with this fella and all thought jewie, but when I told 'em it was a salmon, they all scratched their heads in disbelief.

With the salmon safely in the keeper net, I then got back to business on the flatties and scored 7 all up and kept 2 for dinner tonight. Both 42cm followed by one just legal bream (for the cats)

So to score a salmon (my very first, so a PB) and especially inside the lake really made my day.

It went 61cm and weighed 2.5 kilos

I'm not a big fan of salmon so I called the mother in law who loves 'em....so I've got some Brownie points

with her now.

Just shows to go ya that you just never know what's nibbling at the end of your line eh?

Here's the pic of the wrong way salmon.

"twas a fun arvo.

Cheers,

Pete.

post-1685-1178430869_thumb.jpg

Edited by MallacootaPete

Hey Pete

Well done on not busting off! They really go, don't they?? Nice fish! Good that you got the flatties, too! I usually give my salmon to my neighbour for his fish - I call them Catfish! :1prop::1prop:

I will be off the air for the best part of 2 weeks - travelling to Byron Bay for the triathlon - hope to hook up with Grant/Jewhunter. Have sent him a pm!

Cheers

Roberta

Well done Pete, you cant go past those flattie fillets. :thumbup: As for the salmon, i was sp'ing for flatties at the entrance to the lake three weeks ago when much to my surprise a small school of sambos boiled infront of me, chasing what i think were herring. So there may be more than one surprise catch to come in the lake! :biggrin2:

Good stuff on the PB Pete :thumbup:

You will never get enough brownie points you

will be a few short some how.

How bloody true eh?

Why is it that all MIL's are like that?

Pete.

Awesome catch for the lakes Pete!!

How rare is that!!

Ive caught tailor but never heard of aussie salmon being caught,well done again!!

I heard a funny story about salmon...

Theres a restaurant in the city called Tetsuyas its been rated as one of the ten best restaurants in the world!!

Tetsuya can make anything taste absolutely unbelievable so he tried to cook australian salmon...

apparently he tried absolutely everything but nothing worked and he reckons it took his staff a week

to scour his kitchen of the smell of the salmon lol

Edited by Hook'm

Awesome catch for the lakes Pete!!

How rare is that!!

Ive caught tailor but never heard of aussie salmon being caught,well done again!!

I heard a funny story about salmon...

Theres a restaurant in the city called Tetsuyas its been rated as one of the ten best restaurants in the world!!

Tetsuya can make anything taste absolutely unbelievable so he tried to cook australian salmon...

apparently he tried absolutely everything but nothing worked and he reckons it took his staff a week

to scour his kitchen of the smell of the salmon lol

:Funny-Post:

Greg worked as a Sious chef in some of Sydney's best resturants for more than 10years, an he cant even cook them properly :074: . Great fighting but awful on the table in our opinion. Good bait for sharks though :thumbup:

Dan

D & G

:Funny-Post:

Greg worked as a Sious chef in some of Sydney's best resturants for more than 10years, an he cant even cook them properly :074: . Great fighting but awful on the table in our opinion. Good bait for sharks though :thumbup:

Dan

D & G

Geez...The Mother In Law just called and said she didn't want it now :ranting2: ...but my mate Brett, who'd eat anything with scales on it has said he'll eat it...

He may not be my mate for much longer after he gets through 2.5 kilos of it :074::074::puke:

His Mrs. is out of town too so hope he doesn't stink up the kitchen too much.

Pity they aren't good eating but boy, do they put up a good fight!!

Cheers,

Pete.

:1yikes: What a surprise, Pete! :thumbup::yahoo: That's an amazing catch from what is primarily closed waters! Well done on the flatties, too (although, I'm questioning the sanity of anything that eats whitebait :074: ).

Flattieman.

I'm sitting here writing this tucking into a platefull of beer battered flattie fillets and boy, they are FABULOUS!!

I use a special ingredient in my batter of New Orleans Chef Paul Prudhomme's cajun seasoning, salt and pepper and it gives them a lift like you wouldn't believe. I bought 6 bottles of it before I returned from the US.

As for the whitebait bit....It's still the gun bait for me in the lake and nothing comes close...even the salmon took it, or should I say flew for it as he took it as soon as it hit the water.

Tried some squidgies in the lake the other day to try and wean myself off bait but not a sausage!!..

I guess I'm just too set in my ways to switch from a known killer bait.

Mmmmmmmm...these flattie fillets are just the best I've had in ages..

Droooling...

Pete