Browns & The Shelf

joerod

Hi All, just wondering how far to Browns and the Shelf,

I have a 530 haines (5.3mts) with a 115 Etec on the back, Has anyone gone out in a similar boat, if so how long did it take you and much fuel will I need?

By the way how deep is it ??

Sounds like your boat would be fine for gettin out to the shelf or even browns,as long as your motor is reliable, serviced and maintained,you have a working 27meg radio,epirb,life jackets etc,sufficient fuel say at least 80lt minimum to 100lt for browns and back to be on the safe side.Pick the days you decide to head out and knowing weather forecast prior is important,also if you decide to go get on the water early and make the run out there while the conditions are calmer and at there best as it cuts down on running time and fuel.

My boat is a 5.5m stessl bluewater with a 115suzuki 4stroke and regularly make the run out to browns,the far fad and southern canyons from botany without any problems and average 60lt of fuel,the most 80 litres for 10hours trolling all day non stop.The shelf takes 25min from botany heads in good conditions,the far fad is 40min while browns takes me around 1hr to cruise out there.As i mentioned your safety comes first that far out,pick the days if your not sure dont go a better day will always come,and something else i like to do if i go out, is together with mates or people u know in another boat or even two it does 3 things ;its safer;the

more company makes it more fun;and it helps in finding fish easier as you can spread out and use radios to communicate between yourselfs.

goodluck and take care,steve

Sounds like your boat would be fine for gettin out to the shelf or even browns,as long as your motor is reliable, serviced and maintained,you have a working 27meg radio,epirb,life jackets etc,sufficient fuel say at least 80lt minimum to 100lt for browns and back to be on the safe side.Pick the days you decide to head out and knowing weather forecast prior is important,also if you decide to go get on the water early and make the run out there while the conditions are calmer and at there best as it cuts down on running time and fuel.

My boat is a 5.5m stessl bluewater with a 115suzuki 4stroke and regularly make the run out to browns,the far fad and southern canyons from botany without any problems and average 60lt of fuel,the most 80 litres for 10hours trolling all day non stop.The shelf takes 25min from botany heads in good conditions,the far fad is 40min while browns takes me around 1hr to cruise out there.As i mentioned your safety comes first that far out,pick the days if your not sure dont go a better day will always come,and something else i like to do if i go out, is together with mates or people u know in another boat or even two it does 3 things ;its safer;the

more company makes it more fun;and it helps in finding fish easier as you can spread out and use radios to communicate between yourselfs.

goodluck and take care,steve

top reply there steve i could not have sumed it up any better.

cheers

bob

top reply there steve i could not have sumed it up any better.

cheers

bob

I was going to ask the same question that Roddy did and I don't think I could get a better answer!

Thanks Mate :thumbup:

Just a quick thing guys...the shelf is past the wide fad not before it...the shelf is apporx 26kms from Botany heads and browns is 37km from botany heads.

It takes us about 40 minutes to get to the shelf on a good day and and add another 20 minutes for browns..

we never go with anything less then 140 litres of fuel

Guest Big-Banana

$400 bucks!?!? Can't be right.

$100 for fuel to top up, usually only use 75L to Browns, trolling and back (200L tank).

$50 for a 5 slabs of pillies.

If you're spending $400 bucks a trip somethings wrong.

Unfortunately $400 is true...Johns boat sucks heaps......Since seeing his fuel consumption i have lost all faith in Etecs in regards to being "great for fuel"

I would definately recommend offshore fisho's go with a 4 stroke over an etec

Interresting that a mate went out yesterday in a 30ft boat and it wasted less fuel....

With petrol prices the way they are its very expensive to go to browns in Johns boat.

In my mates Stacer with a Yammi 115 we can go to browns..troll for a while and get back on around 120 litres.

Edited by netic

Guest Big-Banana

I heard they were great on fuel. Obviously not ay :thumbdown::thumbdown:

So he has a 200 Etech?

We've got a 175 Merc Optimax which uses next to nothing in fuel, especially while trolling.

The 150 4 Stroke we tested was very sluggishhhh. Couldn't even get out of the hole. Technology may have iomproved from 4-5 years ago I'd imagine though.

Mate i have heard the optimax's are great may it be a merc or a mariner.......he has a 200 Etec and its shocking on fuel...after a full days trolling $400 is very heavy on the pocket

I've got twin 6.2ltr MPI Mercruisers and they would use about $500.

To chew up $400 in a 200hp etec pushing a 6.4mtr boat is over the top by miles.

penguin

Edited by penguin

around the 400 mark for me.

lucky i go out with a good bunch of mates such as netic, we all pitch in for the fuel. :thumbup:

Hey Crazy John,

I am in the market to get a 150 Etec for my quinny and this has caused alarm bells to ring for me $400 !! :1yikes: . This might be a silly question, but have you taken it back to the vendor or informed the vendor of the fuel consumption ? Could it be somthing is just wrong with it ? This is the first I have heard of bad fuel consumption. I am looking to increase my time in out the big blue chasing fin and tuna and if this is the case then I need to re-evaluate the Etec's. The only thing I don't like about he 4 strokes though is the weight and how sluggish they are out of the hole...

nothing is ever straight forward !

Cheers

Peahead

$400 sounds a little rich, I have a 115 Etec. Went out a couple of weeks ago from Cooks River Ramp. tried a few spots in tha Bay looking for Bait, then went to the Close Fad, then the Peak, Trolled to Bondi (North Head) then Coogee, Back to Kurnell and and tried a few spots in the Bay on less than a 1/4 of a tank (120 litre tank) = less than 30lt = less than $40. (I'd say closer to $30)

How much further would I have needed to travel to get to Browns ??

Guest Reely

Will be interesting to compare with Anthony(Keeping_Tabs) and Dennis (Reel Game) as to how much they use? I know anthony has a 200 also and Dennis has twin 250's i think? I dont think they use that much either!

Makes you wonder!

K.

Does John go out hard all the way? Thats the only thing I could think of that would give fuel economy of that nature , either that or the wrong sized prop!

Ross

wrong size or even pitch and you've got a very burnt out motor very quickly!

I'd go with prop , seen a massive increase in economy in a mates boat just from changing the prop,

I'd look at the prop , saw a massive increase in economy in a mates boat from changing the prop

Some E-tec's have had an issue with ECU and injectors making them consume two to three times the fuel they should. Tell the dealer and get it checked and fixed. Makse sure onece it's fixed that it has the carbon cleaned out of it before it is run hard again. It amazes me that a motor can still run with so much exess fuel but this is not the only etec that has done this. Out of interest is it useing heaps of oil as well of just fuel? what revs / speed are you getting and what is total weight of rig? It's not a cat with twin 200's on it is it? Good luck

Mate its a COugarcraft with a single 200hp...its a 6.40 so i dont know how heavy it is but i estimate around 1.5 to 2 tonne....

It really chews up the fuel which is amazing....

Makes going on the stacer a much more affordable option

He is running the prop that came with the engine which is more then likely at the wrong pitch....

STrange isnt it......you pay over 20K for an engine and still have to spend money on prop's etc