Browns & The Shelf

joerod

I Have a 200hp HO Etec on a 6.9m CougarCraft 7.6m overall, have been out several times 10ks east of browns trolling and cruising around all day 12hrs non stop and have only used a max of 140lts, my boat weighs 2.5 tonne on trailer, this relates to 2200kg on water with fuel gear and crew , it is approximately 450kgs heavier than Johns 6.4m with same motor, I have found fuel consumption is great on this size vessell. Anthony(keeping Tabs) your 200 etec is a 2.6lt motor and the 200 HO Etecs fitted to Johns and my boats are 3.3lt motors (Huge difference)and are in fact 250 hp blocks even Etecs web site do not give HP rating on HO motors but specs are identical to 250hp etec. The HO motors give a much higher Torque curve than standard type, Trolling at under 2500rpm will give best economy while over 4000 rpm there is a drastic increase in consumption. I have a 14.5"- 17 Pitch prop on mine and have confirmed this to be the best suited of the SST brand to the weight and hull of my rig ,(but other brands and types may even be better) , and generally troll 8 knots at between 1900 and 2300 rpm. To give u an idea. CHEERS DAVE

Edited by offtap1

thanks guys im gonna call george to sort this bs out.

its costing us all a fortune to go out for a decent days fishing

I have several V6 props of different pitches- spares and ones from other motors we had fitted. Can you tell me what pitch and diameter ( general sizes are anywhere fron 14.5 to 15 inch diameter by 15-21 pitch) you currently have and what revs you are at Wide Open Throttle and what revs you cruise at? What speed are you getting at cruise and WOT. Are you running a stainelss prop and is it 3 or 4 bladed? Is it a SST or Raker or what does it have stamped on the prop boss?

If you can't find a dealer or prop supplier that will give you a couple of trial props of different pitches I might be able to loan you some of my spares to see what it you need to buy and what performance you will get.

Over 4000 revs consumption skyrockets to nearly double . Somewhere I have the Torque and fuel consumption graphs but can't find them. One of the Magazines had similar on a heavy plate boat with graphs as well. Can't find it either but I know they are out there - ask the dealer.

Bottom line- check you have , motot height , trim right , it propped right and then check your consumption against manufacturers graph and if you are still way out something is up with the motor.

Pelican

Johnny,

If you are being hit up for $400 per trip to Browns, pm me and I will sit down with you and sort this shit out. There is no way your boat should do this mileage and I have a few blokes that I work with that can annalize your problem quite easily. I honestly think you can halve your bill.

I run twin 150's and could travel to Tasmania on your bill!!!

Ok, so I stretched the truth a bit !

I still do 120litres of fuel for a trip 40km out and back, a lot of trawling whilst out there, and we weren't cruising for Mermaids when we went in or out !!!!!!!!(average speed 40k/[p/h)

Cheers, Stumpster

How are you going guys.

Is this true about Etec engines as I'm getting a new boat( 6.4 Hard top Barcrusher).

Up and till now I was going to put a 200Ho Etec but maybe I should think about a

200 4 stroke Yamaha.

What do you guys think?I was under the impression that the Etecs were pretty much

on par with 4 strokes with petrol consumption.

Please any input on this will help before it's to late.

thanks Nick

How are you going guys.

Is this true about Etec engines as I'm getting a new boat( 6.4 Hard top Barcrusher).

Up and till now I was going to put a 200Ho Etec but maybe I should think about a

200 4 stroke Yamaha.

What do you guys think?I was under the impression that the Etecs were pretty much

on par with 4 strokes with petrol consumption.

Please any input on this will help before it's to late.

thanks Nick

Nick i run a 115hp etec on a 5.7m plate boat weight about 1700kg, Last trip out departed Shellharbour ramp and fished Kiama Canyon about 40km out ran about another 5k out there, left motor idoling while fishing bottom and cubing about 7 hrs and back in, the trip out and back running at 4800rpm 28kts and used only 73liters of fuel which could have cut down more by going a little slower.

I am wrapped with my etec and comsumption.

Edited by lukeric

I would be wary heading out there in anything under 5m and even then it would have to be a well designed hull....the weather out there can turn to shit very fast..even when calm conditions are forecasted...

Yesterday a strong westerly made our trip back from 12 mile a very rough and wet ride, had we had been in a 475 it would have been easily a 2 hour trip back in some sloppy conditions

Yesterday a strong westerly made our trip back from 12 mile a very rough and wet ride, had we had been in a 475 it would have been easily a 2 hour trip back in some sloppy conditions

Hey Nedit, what were you in and how long did it take you to get back ??

Sorry Netic, not Nedit. to much :beersmile: