Fishing From Yaks

yakfishing

Gday raiders,

Who of you out there fish from a kayak? I got a Hobie Outback Fisherman a couple of years ago, so far I've just been using it to drift for bream and flatties. I've had great success but I was wondering what else I can do from it. For example is it possible or worthwhile to troll? (I can get a consistent speed of around 5Kts) How do you guys use your yaks and what types and setups do you have?

Cheers

Edited by yakfishing

I fish out of a yak, a Viking Espri, only had it for abit over a month but so far so good.

At the moment im only fishing for Bream, Flatties, Whitting, EP's, Bass etc but once summer comes around ill be off chasing Kings and other pelagics and hopfully abit of offshore work.

I will hopfully be heading out for some jews, salmon and trevally shortly which will be great fun out of the kayak.

You can catch just about anything out of a Kayak and a troll is a great way to pick up fish, especially at the speeds that we do in kayaks it is easy to thow out a lure, rather have one out and have a chance at a fish than doing exactlly the same thing and not have a chance.

There great things to fish out of and have definantly got my moneys worth so far.

Cheers,

Fletcher

i only have a australis bass canoe so cant take it in the salt, was looking to source a hobie in the future after i upgrade the current boat to the saltwater a go. they are extremely fun to fish from thats for sure.

I love fishing from the yak and it gives you a whole heap of exercise without you even noticing it. The Hobies are great especially with the foot pedal flippers. It leaves your hands free for fishing and I can move faster with the pedals than with the paddles.

What sort of lures are suitable? I dont have much experience with trolling been stuck on the shore my whole life.. I'd love a kingie of the yak, be interested to know how much a big fella would tow you along.

I love fishing from the yak and it gives you a whole heap of exercise without you even noticing it. The Hobies are great especially with the foot pedal flippers. It leaves your hands free for fishing and I can move faster with the pedals than with the paddles.

What sort of lures are suitable? I dont have much experience with trolling been stuck on the shore my whole life.. I'd love a kingie of the yak, be interested to know how much a big fella would tow you along.

rapala cd7 are a good trolling lure at the speeds you travel in the yak, definately worth a shot. ever thought of adding a downrigger? i dont think ive seen one on a yak before but i guess its only a matter of time.

Hi Yakfishing!!

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider & isn't yak fishing the best?? One of our Fishraiders is a top yakker (also a Hobie fanatic, like me - I have the smallest in the mirage setups) Check out the postings from Funda who hails from Canberra! You won't believe what he pulls out of the lake down there!

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=21278

Do a search of his callsign in Fishing Reports & you should get heaps of yak action to check out!

I had my first beach outing last Sunday in my Hobie - but was upended when hitting the beach!! Luckily the water wasn't too cold & only 2-3ft deep!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

rapala cd7 are a good trolling lure at the speeds you travel in the yak, definately worth a shot. ever thought of adding a downrigger? i dont think ive seen one on a yak before but i guess its only a matter of time.

Could be something to think about in the future. I'll give the rapala a go next time I fish Botany Bay.

Hi Roberta thanks for the warm welcome. Yes yakfishing is certainly the best I've had a lot of enjoyment so far and it only keeps getting better. I've fished for years and yak'd for years but its only recently I thought to combine the two. It seems so obvious now..

Hey Yakfishing, welcome. There are quite a few yaks on Fishraider. Also the non-yak raiders are real friendly to yaks so enjoy.

I have a Dagger Drift II, I have spent the last couple of months chasing kings in Sydney Harbour with some success. I tried lures early in the season but admitted defeat quickly (yet to get one on lure from the yak)and switiched to bait fishing with live squid/cuttles. Me, the yak, the braid, the PFD and everything else is now covered in ink. The kings tow me all over the place and even get a bow wave going, it is so much fun. Current mission is to get a decent jew before spring.

My SIK is slow compared to a Hobbie, and not as good to troll from. On the other hand it is a great platform for casting.

The bay has some excellent kingy action happening at the moment so get out there.

Good luck and don't forget to post your reports.

Southerly

I do most of my fishing from a yak. Mostly for small stuff, but trying to set myself to get in the harbour soon. I do a mix of trolling and casting. The beauty of a yak is you can vary your pace to suit the lure so easily. With most bream lures you only need to go about walking pace.

Where abouts do you fish?

I tell you what , Yak People.

Reading this thread, sort of makes me want to buy one of thes yuk things !

You seem to have a total blast in them and have a very good hit rate with the fish (look at funda's most recent)

Well done guys and girls (Roberta)

I love your posts.

Keep up the good.......................Yakking????

Cheers

Stumpy.

P.S Can you get them yuks with twin optimax's ? say 150's ????????????

PPS Roberta, my kids are dying to go worming next social! We can't make Foster, but they will be sleepin with you next one !

Edited by stumpy

Hi Stumpy

You'd love the stealth factor of a fishing yak!! In 2 minutes, you are ready to go - no trailer, no motor, just take essentials & you are out there!! Great for the lake here!! The kids would super love it!!

Funda is something special - he has taken yak fishin' to another level ....hmmm I can see a Canberra Social comin' on....... with Funda settin' it up!!

Would love to get you & the Stumpettes into worms - my star pupils are Wildfish & OutdoorDan - got their own on their first lesson at THe Entrance!!!

Hey!! With Hobies, you don't need twin Oppies!!!

Cheers

Roberta

YEAH MATE IVE GOT A HOBIE SPORTS FISHERMAN

i mainly use mine in the lake and rivers they are certinaly an awsome machine you can go places where boats cant its great i mainly chase bream and flathead but will be venturing offshore to chase snapper kingys and salmon when my brother gets his one

cheers mik

Edited by fishingmik

Yay Mik!

Mine is the Hobie Sports Fisherman TOO!! Great fun, eh?? Watch out for that wave when you come in off the beach!! Make sure you have your paddle out & in the water (acting as a rudder!) before you pull up the rudder!

Cheers

Roberta

I too love my kayak fishing. Mainly in the fresh but I have done a bit of estuary fishing as well.

post-2756-1180605539_thumb.jpg

This one is me in my double. I often fish with my youngest (8) up in front.

post-2756-1180605515_thumb.jpg

This is my fishing mate Ross in his single kayak.

Oh somebody mentioned "yak fishing" and yeah I love it!!!

I'm getting a bit flattered here Roberta tho, but the Canberra yak fishing social is already a happening thing with at least between 4 to 10 fishing every w'end locally.

Catching big fish from a kayak adds another dimension to the art of angling and requires quick thinking and even quicker reactions/actions on dogged fish close to structure, it's pretty hard digging your heals in on a good fish in a yak.

Cant wait till the big snapper start showing up down the coast, I will be out in the big blue wobbly every w'end once the cuttle fish start coming in close followed by the big knobbies, after my 10kg snapper goal I'll be looking at maybe a montague island trial for some big palagics next feb/march when the nor easters start backing off.

You aint caught nuthin till ya done it in a kayak :thumbup:

Cheers, Allan

PS. if you think I'm mad you're prolly right :biggrin2:

wetyk3.jpg

acatchvn1.jpg

I do most of my fishing from a yak. Mostly for small stuff, but trying to set myself to get in the harbour soon. I do a mix of trolling and casting. The beauty of a yak is you can vary your pace to suit the lure so easily. With most bream lures you only need to go about walking pace.

Where abouts do you fish?

I've been fishing narrabeen lake ever since a hooked (then lost) a monster flattie there. I got him to the boat easily, he saw my ugly mug then took off behind me and snapped the line. Before I could finish yelling "holy shit thats a big flattie" it was all over, so Ive been back there a lot trying to get him again (and failing). Still getting a feed of some smaller lizards and a few bream tho. Last weekend, I tried botany bay and got some nice flatties, a bream and an occy, so I will be back there this weekend. Other than that Ive tried sussex inlet which was good. Got a 30cm flounder there that I was happy with. Really only targeting the bread and butter fish but would like to try my hand at some kingies and trevally and just about everything else with fins :biggrin2:

My botany catch. Would have caught more but my old man tipped over in my old dugout yak so had to call it short.

post-4457-1180623219_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys good to see a lot of fellow yakkers out there

Edited by yakfishing

Gday raiders,

Who of you out there fish from a kayak? I got a Hobie Outback Fisherman a couple of years ago, so far I've just been using it to drift for bream and flatties. I've had great success but I was wondering what else I can do from it. For example is it possible or worthwhile to troll? (I can get a consistent speed of around 5Kts) How do you guys use your yaks and what types and setups do you have?

Cheers

I love fishing outa my kayak, I have a Ocean River Freedom, it's a bit bigger than most, as I got it to go camping and also take my lil girl out in the bays with me.

I've only got it setup with one rod holder at the moment, but about to buy 3 scotty's rod holders, so I can have 2 rods out to troll offshore. These rod holders are a lot stronger, and can take a bigger hit from Kingy's etc.

The hardest part is storing the fish once caught, and getting access to the tackle and lures. I've changed my hatch's around so they can also open length wise as well as from the side, this allows me to get things in and out easily. Also making sure that your gear is secure, easiest way was a small piece of rope, and a good paddle holder. I also have an anchor setup, which works well, with a few clips to make it easily accessable.

Next time I have it all setup for fishing, I'll take a few pics and post them. A lot if it is your own personal setup. Have fun.

LUFFY.....

Guest Ben75

Gday YakFishing

I am also a YakFisho . :biggrin2: Love my Kayak Fishing . I am over at Hurstville Shoot me a PM when you are heading over the Bay for a fish if you want some company . There is a few of us heading offshore at MonaVale this sunday :1yikes: I hope I dont get smashed in the surf like my last trip there .

GettingSmashed.jpg

My Baby Prowler Elite 4.5

p1.jpg

Trollings Great from the kayak . I have a scotty triple bar up front and like to have to rods out when paddling

arvoquickie.jpg

KFDU.jpg

Gday Raiders

Looking at investing into a kayak myself to get away from the crowds, and to access some nice areas of the bays and lakes I fish. Just wondering only paddled in a kayak when on holidays at resorts, how is the stability of the yaks when hooked on something decent??

I am thinking of getting a 2 seater, to take the missus as well, 2 / 4 boat rod holders, etc usual fisho gear / attachments......

what would a reasonable budget be and if anyone knows a good dealer that is in the Campbelltown - Sydney Area, thanks.

Gday YakFishing

I am also a YakFisho . :biggrin2: Love my Kayak Fishing . I am over at Hurstville Shoot me a PM when you are heading over the Bay for a fish if you want some company . There is a few of us heading offshore at MonaVale this sunday :1yikes: I hope I dont get smashed in the surf like my last trip there .

Gday Ben,

Got out there today, (suprisingly after a big night) at about 10:30. Yeah could've used some company, but only just checked Raiders this arvo. Fished for bream on the runout, but only managed a couple 26 and 27cm. But got a gurnard too which is a first. I'm going on a deep sea charter tomorrow which should be good, been a while since ive been offshore, I hope I can find my sea legs. I havent tried going offshore with the yak yet. Where can you launch the yak without getting smashed? I'm not afraid of getting wet but just worried about my gear. I've only ever really estuary fished from the shore and thats all Ive done in the yak so far. I'm looking to start getting into some more serious fishing, but gotta do some learning and also upgrade the yak with some proper rod holders.

Gday Raiders

Looking at investing into a kayak myself to get away from the crowds, and to access some nice areas of the bays and lakes I fish. Just wondering only paddled in a kayak when on holidays at resorts, how is the stability of the yaks when hooked on something decent??

I am thinking of getting a 2 seater, to take the missus as well, 2 / 4 boat rod holders, etc usual fisho gear / attachments......

what would a reasonable budget be and if anyone knows a good dealer that is in the Campbelltown - Sydney Area, thanks.

Mines as wide a a humvee so its very stable, but looking at some the other guys ones I'm wondering how stable they are now too. If you want speed get a thinner one, but if you want stability get a wider one.

I dont know any dealers, but someone might be able to help you out.