Habour Blackfish

riceball

Fished Saturday avo on a running in tide at Balmain. I have been trying for the blackies in the harbour for the last few weeks, finally got a bit success today, had 3 hook ups, but the other 2 was just too big to land on 6lb line. However, the bite wasn’t very hot, I suppose blackies are schooling fish, and I have seen ppl catching a bag limit of blackies easily. So here is my question, how to turn a one catch into a bag limit? I have been burlying consistently using cabbage weed.

Here is a photo of the blackie that I landed. Also caught two squids on the day.

post-1028-1180845833_thumb.jpg post-1028-1180845855_thumb.jpg

I’ve also caught this one on cabbage weed, the head looks like a luderick, but its much narrower, and certainly dunt have the strips on the body. Anyone suggests a ID for this fish?

post-1028-1180845954_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Louis

Fished Saturday avo on a running in tide at Balmain. I have been trying for the blackies in the harbour for the last few weeks, finally got a bit success today, had 3 hook ups, but the other 2 was just too big to land on 6lb line. However, the bite wasn’t very hot, I suppose blackies are schooling fish, and I have seen ppl catching a bag limit of blackies easily. So here is my question, how to turn a one catch into a bag limit? I have been burlying consistently using cabbage weed.

Here is a photo of the blackie that I landed. Also caught two squids on the day.

I’ve also caught this one on cabbage weed, the head looks like a luderick, but its much narrower, and certainly dunt have the strips on the body. Anyone suggests a ID for this fish?

Cheers

Louis

Looks like a "elkele;';'y" mate, although a little less mottled than usual. Did it fight like shit? That would be consistent with a elkele;';'y. Caught heaps of them off the stones. There is another bycatch of luderick fishing called a "triggerfish". I've hooked these in the harbour and they are just the opposite. If you hook a good sized one on luderick gear, often you just can't stop them they go so hard.

No idea why but when I write "c-o-c-k-y" it comes up as some nonsense. Wasn't trying to be rude, that's what that fish is called.

Hi Louis

that looks like a very nice blackfish! Did you measure him?? The give a good fight, eh? Up grade your trace to 10 or 14lb fluoro & always use a net to land the bigger ones.

Well done. When they are on, they are eaiser to catch, when they are not ..... very difficult! In a few weeks it should be easier to get more, as the weather turns colder - they like cold water.

Well done

Roberta

Hi all,

The unknown fish is a Rock Cale also known as a c-o-c-k-y. Generally considered a rubish fish they are not poisionous so theoretically edible (yuk!). They are very common on the ocean rocks, just put on some goggles and have a swim.

See http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfact...h/alophodon.htm for a description.

I fear one day we may consider them a valued fish (before you laugh think kings and oz salmon).

CHeers,

Southery

The unknown fish is a Rock Cale also known as a c-o-c-k-y. Generally considered a rubish fish they are not poisionous so theoretically edible (yuk!). They are very common on the ocean rocks, just put on some goggles and have a swim.

See http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfact...h/alophodon.htm for a description.

:dito:

Good job on the catch, riceball. I'm not a blackie expert by any means, but I've heard that it's best to only sparingly use green weed berley (mixed well with sand and throw in a handful every now and again). I'll let the real blackie kings/queens fill you in more.

Flattieman.

Cheers

Louis

GDay ricebal

Try fishing the run out at the Dawn Fraser pool, and use the burley sparingly , to much can turn them off a bit and attract some rubbish , and when possible the freshest weed you can lay your hands on . Keep going on them they can be a frustrating bugger to catch but once you sus them they are great on light gear .

markpost-4242-1180862428_thumb.jpg

Good catch, blackie fishing would have to be one of the more relaxing forms.

Quick question. are you using the stringy weed or the lettuce/cabbage variety.

Cabbage weed mate. However, i remember someone said to me before the stringy weed works better in the Harbour, the cabbage weed works off the rocks, duno if thats ture.

Hi Louis,

Mate nice blackie and your usual squid.

We should try to get together for a fish but i am having trouble with trailer but worst of all my camry almost caught fire whilst towing the boat home on saturday. Gotta spend money i dont have to get out there again.

I will put a tow bar on the Territory and fix the trailer.

Keep in contact, speak soon!

cheers