Finally Onto A King

Kiwi Dan

Hello raiders

Well after a couple weeks of targeting Kings I finally cracked it yesterday and landed my first one in Australia. Me and a mate headed out yesterday on my ebay purchased boat with my ebay purchased rod and reel and had done everything possible to give ourselves the best chance at landing one. We had about 20 odd fresh squid caught a few days before and frozen as per previous raiders advice picked up in the forums.

We left Tunks early to try and rustle up some live squid but with no luck. About 6.30am we headed over to the famous SPOT X and put down 4 baits and played the waiting game. After 2 hours of not much happening I thought what else can we do we had a solid berlying trail going, we had fresh squid and even a servo pillie on one line as noted in a previous report that thats what got hit.

For a little while there I thought we just have the worst luck and should take up tiddly winks. Then at around 9.45 the action began, me mate took a few good hits and then he was on. After a solid fight a 71cm king was landed, he dealt with that one while I dropped the lines again and BANG I was into another one. He came up and went 63cm, while I was left dealing with him Steve dropped the baits again and was into another one of these bad boys that went 64cm. It was all action everything was going well and finally someone had shined the Kingie light on us. While I had my head down rebaiting one of the lines my 2nd line takes off zzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz I thought dam the bilge pumps gone only to think S@#$ thats my line too, that ended up going 65cm. It was a solid 20minute rush which got the heart rate up.

Unfortunately that ended up being the only action we got for the day apart from a few small reds but I can tell you it was well worth it and being persistent definitely paid off. 1 other boat was there for a half an hour and a charter bloke came through but they both had no luck and moved on. After a while we pulled up stumps and went for a quick look at the quarantine station for zilch.

It was a good day and I was pumped about cracking into the Kingie club. Well worth taking the day off work thats for sure. And yes I know mistaking the rod for a pump is just poor form!!

Cheers

Kiwi Dan

ps: if anyone has any cracker ideas on cooking Kingfish please let me know. I have a few but am open to change!!

post-4176-1181015293_thumb.jpg

Nice work mate welcome to the club!! :1welcomeani:

Self initiation required!! :thumbup:

Arent they a rush!

If nothing is happening i usually try to open a drink/

eat a sandwich/open a bag of chips/ that seems to bring them on.

Last one i caught id just taken a bite into a bacon and egg roll and fought the damn

thing with the roll hanging out of my mouth(untill Dano1 removed it for me)

Keep it up mate

Jason

Nice work mate welcome to the club!! :1welcomeani:

Self initiation required!! :thumbup:

Arent they a rush!

If nothing is happening i usually try to open a drink/

eat a sandwich/open a bag of chips/ that seems to bring them on.

Last one i caught id just taken a bite into a bacon and egg roll and fought the damn

thing with the roll hanging out of my mouth(untill Dano1 removed it for me)

Keep it up mate

Jason

Well done mate! You never forget your first kingy!

Hey Jase,,,,,

Remember our last outing together,,, what did I ask you for mid-fight on that stinkin sturgeon? :biggrin2:

DAN

D&G

Edited by Dan and Greg

Well done mate!!!!!

The little buggers fight like hell even at that size!!!! They are a joy to catch!

Might i ask where the heck you were to gety 20 od fresh squid????? We are getting a few at the moment but 20???? They are the kind of numbers we needed on the weekend!!!!! If you tell me under the spit im going to cry!!!! each time lately ive got 1 or 2 arrows then nothing!!!!!! Not from lack of tryig i might add!!!!!

nice work there.

gotta love it when the kingies bite their heads off, even if it is for such a short time.

with eating the kingies, dont cook em. if u catch a couple cut one up into really thin slices (sorta like mini cutlets - without any bone of course) grab some wasabi and soy and go nuts.

having said that though, u can only really do that for super super fresh stuff. i wouldnt bother eating any defrosted fish raw (although some people will)

Hey Kiwi dan forgot to mention when you asked in my report the other day!!!! Kingfish steaks on the barbie are the way to go.

Also when i was in fiji a couple of years ago we had a stirfry with kingfish and mahi mahi and it was devine!!!! :bleh:

Well done mate!!!!!

The little buggers fight like hell even at that size!!!! They are a joy to catch!

Might i ask where the heck you were to gety 20 od fresh squid????? We are getting a few at the moment but 20???? They are the kind of numbers we needed on the weekend!!!!! If you tell me under the spit im going to cry!!!! each time lately ive got 1 or 2 arrows then nothing!!!!!! Not from lack of tryig i might add!!!!!

yep the fight was good, great feeling and the added pressure of getting them away from the moorings first before they bust you off gives it that little extra satisfaction when you finally get it in.

The squid were all caught under the spit a couple days ago. Squid are weird we took the boat down 2 times and only managed 3 in 3 hours, and then my mate went down the next day and went off the grass got 14 in an hour from the Balgowlah side. I guess they just have to be around or it was a fluke!!

cheers

Dan

Edited by Kiwi Dan

yep the fight was good, great feeling and the added pressure of getting them away from the moorings first before that bust you off gives it that little extra satisfaction when you finally get it in.

The squid were all caught under the spit a couple days ago. Squid are weird we took the boat down 2 times and only managed 3 in 3 hours, and then my mate went down the next day and went of the grass got 14 in an hour from the Balgowlah side. I guess they just have to be around or it was a fluke!!

cheers

Dan

Yeah tell me about it, I got some of watto's magic spray's and some lumo jigs and have been using the rigs found in the tackle talk section as well as the usual cast and retrieve method with my yozuri's and haven't been all that succesfull of late!!! I swear i would pay $50 for 5 live squid rather than get up at 2am to get one or two just for the extra sleep in time!!!!!

Oh well practise practise and more practise makes perfect!!!!!!!

Thanks mate and congrats again with popping the king cherrie!!!! Im a newb to only getting mine a few months ago now im hooked damn it!!!!!!

ps: if anyone has any cracker ideas on cooking Kingfish please let me know. I have a few but am open to change!!

post-4176-1181015293_thumb.jpg

I have a book with a recipe that I use when I catch Kingies. Yummy!!!

While it says to use Cutlets, which I have done, I have also used fillets or pieces cut from smaller fish.

Kingfish with Prawns and Orange. You don't need the prawns if you don't want to spend the money.

Juice a couple of oranges and grate a little of the rind (about a Tablespoon for a cup of juice).

Add a small amount of ground ginger or freshly gated if you have it, plus 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar and a pinch of Cayenne.

Marinade the fish and shelled green king prawns for about 1 hour.

Cook the fish on foil under the grill and when nearly done cook the prawns as well.

Heat the remaining marinade and pour over the lot to serve.

The orange and brown sugar caramelise under the grill and the ginger and cayenne add a little zap.

I love Kingies done this way and so have most of the people I've shared it with.

The squid are moving around alot lately,,,, we have come across schools, ie 20+ in areas no knownen for squid,,,,,,, spots F, K and Y for example! :1prop:

Keep working @ it,,,, Greg was out yesterday got more than enough for a kingy session :biggrin2: ,,, let alone a jew which he was after,,,,,,,,,

:thumbdown:

Anyhow always next time.

DAN

D&G

Well done Kiwi Dan,on your 1st Sydney Kings, :thumbup:

you will remember that sesh for a while,

I still remember my 1st Syd King, but have forgoten many of

the others that have followed.

penguin

Edited by penguin

Yeah tell me about it, I got some of watto's magic spray's and some lumo jigs and have been using the rigs found in the tackle talk section as well as the usual cast and retrieve method with my yozuri's and haven't been all that succesfull of late!!! I swear i would pay $50 for 5 live squid rather than get up at 2am to get one or two just for the extra sleep in time!!!!!

Oh well practise practise and more practise makes perfect!!!!!!!

Thanks mate and congrats again with popping the king cherrie!!!! Im a newb to only getting mine a few months ago now im hooked damn it!!!!!!

Yeah i still suck at catching the little bugers but lucky enough my mate has better luck then i do.

im with you on the extra sleep but have taken on board the early rise for squid and then having a sleep on the boat while waiting to hear that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound.

Just wondering is it illegal to have 5 or 6 jigs on a line and floating them down the current with a float at the end?? Just wonderng because my stike rate aint that good having 6 in might better my chances.

cheers

Dan

The squid are moving around alot lately,,,, we have come across schools, ie 20+ in areas no knownen for squid,,,,,,, spots F, K and Y for example! :1prop:

Keep working @ it,,,, Greg was out yesterday got more than enough for a kingy session :biggrin2: ,,, let alone a jew which he was after,,,,,,,,,

:thumbdown:

Anyhow always next time.

DAN

D&G

:Funny-Post:

Don't forget Spot S.

Kiwi Dan, good haul mate... gotta love Kings eh!!!!! :thumbup:

Just wondering is it illegal to have 5 or 6 jigs on a line and floating them down the current with a float at the end?? Just wonderng because my stike rate aint that good having 6 in might better my chances.

cheers

Dan

Not sure on that one, Might have to check out the fisheries page!!!!! Although its pretty light on for squid info from memory!!! I think a bag limit is about all it had last time i checked and that hasn't been a problem for me!!!!!! :biggrin2: