Squidding Sydney Harbour

amkulic

Hi,

Has anyone had much success lately squidding??

Ive got some squid jigs and going out and wondering if anyone knows of general locations from Kirribilli around to Clifton Gardens. Im not asking for your spot X or Y, but just an idea.

And when it comes to squidding what is the best technique....should i wind up from the bottom etc???

Thanks for any info

Edited by fish hunter 181

Hi Fish Hunter

:1welcomeani: To Fishraider! The Fishing Forum with the Best information available!! :thumbup::yahoo:

When you learn the secret to squid fishing, don't forget to tell me!!! I reckon I have only caught them by accident!

Cheers

Roberta

PS Have we ever had a Squid Social yet??

hey roberta! that sounds like a pretty tasty idea!

fish hunter try keep em as close to the weed as you can with out snaging up! really slow retrieve! i also had sucess last week using a padernosta rig with 2 jigs above the sinker! good luck! dont know what effect this weather has had on em but maybe try some sheltered bays with weed in em!

Hey Luke

That is a cunning trick to use the 2 rigs above the sinker - do you use 2 colours & sizes to really give them a choice?? That paternoster trick will also prevent you from snagging in the weed, too! Very cunning!

Cheers

Roberta

PS If and when we have a Squidding Social, I'll be in it in a split second!! May even have a good edge in my Hobie SPORT - Look Mum - no hands needed to paddle!!

Edited by Roberta

Welcome to Raider fish hunter :thumbup:

A few pointers, but the first is the most obvious!

1. Know your gear well, ie line class, sink rate, jigg, bottom structure,,,, you can never know tooooo much when it comes to bait gathering

2. Use a variety of jiggs, and try EVERYTHING

3. There is no right or wrong way of squidding!!!!!!!!!! Whatever works for you!

4. Always watchout for followers and if you get some but no strikes,,, start burying through your jiggs/gear till you find what they like

5. And this is the worst! On some days they will just no take a trick,,,, ie 6-8hrs squidding for less than 2 squid per person,,,, or even MORE ANNOYING,,,, you will have them follow up your jigg in numbers not a single strike.

6. Get as long as landing net as possible :wacko: . If they hold off your jigg but wont hit it, slip the net in behid em,,,, but you have to be bloody quick,,, and I mean QUICK! :mad3:

D&G

Hi Fishhunter

I dont fish much for the arrow squids as they are not as tasty,

but do plenty of squiding for southern calamari's.

Arrows are a schooling squid and can be caught in very large numbers and can be netted by the pro's

Southern Calamari are an ambush predator and are usually found in different areas of the harbour, and I

rarely ( if ever) catch an arrow squid while fishing for southerns during the day out in the boat.

At night of the jetties/wharfs a mixture of the two is more common especially if there is weed beds there.

Are you squiding landbased or from a boat?

Are you wanting them for bait or for eating?

If your not sure if its a good area for catching southern squid try the following - drop a fresh dead yakka to the bottom on a handline with attached by a hook through the mouth. Make sure it sinks to the bottom,

After five minutes of it sitting on the bottom slowly pull it up. If it starts jerking back or its heavy your in squid territory. Or if you pull it up and its got bite marks/bits chewed especially behind its head its squids again.

If it comes up chewed to bits it was probably a cuttlefish which is just as good as southerns & cuttles live

over the same type of ground.

When I first moved to Sydney 2 years ago I caught heaps of squid, thenI joined fish raider and realised

how hard they are to catch :1prop:

Seriously though if you arent catching them ( I have taking plenty of fishing newbies out and they all catch them ) Squid arent that bright so it might just be your not doing one of a few things right

send me a PM if you want specific spots or tips for an area

Jason

ive had luck at kurraba wharf and blues pt wharf (opposite luna park)

both times i have worked the jig directly underneath the wharf and it has produced the goods. both was at night time on low tide.

if you're there regularly then you'll probably see me there jigging for them myself more often than not... heheh :1prop:

ive had luck at kurraba wharf and blues pt wharf (opposite luna park)

both times i have worked the jig directly underneath the wharf and it has produced the goods. both was at night time on low tide.

if you're there regularly then you'll probably see me there jigging for them myself more often than not... heheh :1prop:

Hey Sebastian, do you mean under the ferry platform or the jetty leading to the platform? I have seen a few squid around the jetty at Kurraba !!!

another opton is to use a squid spike

attracts the squid

we usually put out a squid spike and squid jig around it

get a good few

give balmoral a try

its quite consistant there

happy squiding

Whats a squid spike? Got any pics?

Edited by Shant

hey roberta! that sounds like a pretty tasty idea!

fish hunter try keep em as close to the weed as you can with out snaging up! really slow retrieve! i also had sucess last week using a padernosta rig with 2 jigs above the sinker! good luck! dont know what effect this weather has had on em but maybe try some sheltered bays with weed in em!

Hey Wildfish,

I have used the paternoster rig for squid before unfortunately with no luck. Should i leave it straight down and drift or cast it out and retreive it? Im probably asking a stupid question but just trying to perfect my technique.

cheers

Dan