Blackfish

fibbo

Hi fellow raiders! :1prop:

I have been following afew posts about blackfish and I would like to experience catching them. Some raiders have been so nice as to inform me on where to obtain the weed and I did manage to score some yesterday hehe Not much luck with the blackfish though. Do you guys have any tips for a total beginner? Things like how to rig the float, what sinker, hook sizes, how long the trace should be, how to burley and certain favorable conditions to look out for to increase the chances of catching them.

Many thanks,

fibbo.

Hi fellow raiders! :1prop:

I have been following afew posts about blackfish and I would like to experience catching them. Some raiders have been so nice as to inform me on where to obtain the weed and I did manage to score some yesterday hehe Not much luck with the blackfish though. Do you guys have any tips for a total beginner? Things like how to rig the float, what sinker, hook sizes, how long the trace should be, how to burley and certain favorable conditions to look out for to increase the chances of catching them.

Many thanks,

fibbo.

where are you from fibbo? where have you been fishing for blackfish?

Yeah - can't wait for the chocolate water to clear here & then hit the blackies again!!!

Thanks for the compliment, Davy - I think I just talk about it more than most!! There are heaps better & more experienced blackie fishers out there hiding in the Fishraider ranks - a bit of a secret society, i reckon! They don't always talk of their exploits, tho!

Stewie, I have just loaded up the Alvey with some 20lb backing & 100m x 30lb Tufline! THank god for that brake! One spin & it takes off running for 5 mins & all the line comes off! I can see it will take a bit of mastering, after only really using a spinning reel!

Here is some of the weed I have vacuum packed for future use!

It worked for the social!!

Cheers

Roberta

PS Fibbo, have a look on the Social site - there are some tips on rigging up your float there, so you can have some practise before meeting up with the Master, Stewy!!

where are you from fibbo? where have you been fishing for blackfish?

Lambeth park mate, Panania!

I'm from Bankstown, and my gf and her two little brothers live about 5 minutes from there and we never even knew about blackfishing there!

Gdayyyyyyyyy Fibbo ,I will take you Blackfishing and show you exactly how its done when the water clears up :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

Awesome stewy, I'm going to try again this saturday if the weather holds up :biggrin2:

Yeah - can't wait for the chocolate water to clear here & then hit the blackies again!!!

Here is some of the weed I have vacuum packed for future use!

It worked for the social!!

PS Fibbo, have a look on the Social site - there are some tips on rigging up your float there, so you can have some practise before meeting up with the Master, Stewy!!

I didnt know that you could vacuum pack weed, sure beats getting your shoes wet! Do they go into the fridge?

With the rigging, is it about 1m trace with just enough split shot sinkers to keep the trace down and something to keep the float from riding up the main line? I'm using 4lb fireline and 8lb fluoro.

PS: from my impressions blackfishing seems to be like an art, it separates the pros from well... people like me :biggrin2:

Cheers,

fibbo.

Hi Fibbo, as stewy said mate its not that difficult once shown some basics and you live right near a good spot[lambeth park] ive never fished there myself but its comfortable and easy to fish and more than a good chance to land some so im told.. im sure stewy and others will point you in the right direction to learning the magic art of luderick fishing... if i get the time i might even venture down that way myself. as for rigging up try to have float balanced with enough weight so it doesn't take much effort to sink [as conditions allow] and size 10 hook is what i use. you will eventually craft out your own style with time and is a very enjoyable way to fish as your always thinking ,varying depths,drifts & so on.. anyway good luck.... steve....

Hey Roosterman

How do you put your weed on??? Tell me ..... Pleeeease

Cheerio

Roberta

Hey, Fibbo - 4lb fireline may be a bit light for blackie fishing, especially if they can take you under oyster covered rocks & things!!

Fibbo ,you could learn a few good tips from Roosterman as well.He showed me a very tidy way of attaching weed to a hook which I now use exclusively :yahoo:

Nice hehe maybe rooster can tell us how too =]

Hey, Fibbo - 4lb fireline may be a bit light for blackie fishing, especially if they can take you under oyster covered rocks & things!!

Woah I've heard how blackfish fight hard, but never thought that hard hehe I have two other rods rigged with 12lb mono as backup hehe

I find the whole fishing thing interesting how it gets people talking. In the hospital the other day I was assisting some midwives in the birthing unit, and this bloke was there with his pregnant and laboring wife. He was nervous as hell lol Usually Muslim couples usually do not let males assist, but I talked to the guy for awhile about all sorts of topics from the rugby to fishing and afterwards asked if I could deliver his baby and he was cool with it. Calmed his nerves down quite a bit as he had a lot to say about fishing :thumbup:

Cheers,

fibbo

I most certainly can't proffess to be a blacky fisherman of any standing but I have always been told to stick with mono. The reason being that it stretches. This apparently gives you that little bit more leeway with an alvey.

No drag means you have to judge how hard to palm the reel yourself which is not always easy to get right. The combination of a long rod and the stretch of mono assists in playing the fish and reducing the pressure on your line.

Dave

I most certainly can't proffess to be a blacky fisherman of any standing but I have always been told to stick with mono. The reason being that it stretches. This apparently gives you that little bit more leeway with an alvey.

No drag means you have to judge how hard to palm the reel yourself which is not always easy to get right. The combination of a long rod and the stretch of mono assists in playing the fish and reducing the pressure on your line.

Dave

Dave i agree with you on line sreatch for blackfish.ive always used 10lb mainline and 4lb or 6lb trace/leader to a size 10 hook.i also prefer pencil style floats . my luderick rods are always at least 10ft but mainly 12ft and very light and whippy so as to act as shock absorber with light line.the length helps to stear them away from structures and hopefully eventually into waiting landing net.

hi Roberta,Fibbo & raiders,

sorry roberta i didnt get a chance to show you any ways of putting weed on at the social. i showed a few newbies the easy way thats actually the main way i use unless conditions mean a plaited bait to work..

get a thin piece of a couple strands aprox 15 - 20cm [if shorter just means harder to do] lay against the hook with about 15 - 20mm below hook.. now wind up around hook about 2 times and about 2 times around line above hook. give a little twist to pull tight around hook then wind back down in similar fashion.put the last one through hook and hang down give the bait a "tail" [piece hanging below hook] of about 2cm [varies with the way there biting]and then pinch off the rest and your done.. check the finished bait and make sure its not clumped up and is nice and steamlined,if you know what i mean.. a good tip is to also lower into water and see how it sits,should have tail section flowing freely and spread out.. if they keep tailing you[biting off just below hook] then shorten bait to suit.

hope this helps guys,its very easy with a little practice....

chears.....steve....

Edited by roosterman

I am a blackfish beginner as well, had very limited success. I use cabbage weed exclusively just because i cant get any hairtail weed. Fished yje harbour on monday and wednesday, burley hard but couldn't get a bite. Did this murky water turn them off? or the fish in the esturies prefer hairtail weed? Can the blackie experts give me a bit of advice on that?

LOUIS

You have to love the man's sense of what is important.

Wife giving birth, or fishing stories.

It is a no brainer for me.

That is a classic mate, I am going to get you to deliver mine. (no time soon though)

Arch

ps good luck with weed mungers

Hey Steve

Does your digital camera have a video function? Film yourself putting 'the weed' oon the hook & put it up on UTube!!!! Donna will tell you how to do it (I am a bit slow on doing advanced stuff like that .....call me chicken if you like!)

Got a bit lost at the "put the last one thru the hook' bit!!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi Roberta,

i have been toying with the idea of a vid for a little while as ive been asked by a few newbies now about setup etc for blackfish... i am very pc savvy so thats not the issue.. i find the time i have spare to do things lately is very limited [even for fishing]but am hoping to maybe do something real soon. what i meant "put the last one thru the hook' is put the last wrap skewered onto hook tip and feather if you like the tail section to help stop it unraveling... the proper way is to start above hook with middle section and take turns twisting [plaiting] strands down to hook so as its all locked up and not as easy to get off.. this is generally only needed when weeds not as good or fish are cunning enough to bait you.. thats the fun part of luderick fishing, very much a thinking game and trying different things when times are tough...

was great to see you have been getting into them :thumbup: .....

chears for now.....steve...

hi fibbo,

as ross said mate use the same weed you are using for bait and chop very fine and mix with sand.. the best way i do it is squeeze out water,hold in sausage shape and slice up fine.. take this to beach to get sand,pile up a bit of dry sand[mixes easier dry] and put handfull of chopped weed in and continually pickup sand/weed and rubbing hands together should get mixed great.. continue till all done and put it in bucket. dont put water in till you go to use it[keeps weight down] only put enough water to wet sand so you can make burly bombs about golf ball to tennis ball size.. do not overuse burly as you may end up feeding them,you want to entice them into a bite or just keep the school in the target zone... also keep in mind the current as weed may float further than you think downstream taking the fish with it....

i am very busy at the moment and are gonna target some jews with all this rain but when i am gonna go out for blackfish again i will give you a buzz if your interested.. steve.....

Edited by roosterman