Gps Advice

Osprey Rider

G'day Raiders,

I am in the market for a GPS Combo.

Looking at The Eagle Seacharter 640C External Antenna or 642C Internal Antenna.

What would you recommend?

I like the internal antenna idea but are they as accurate or reliable as the external.

Hi Steve, if that is your boat in the picture, than the internal GPS will be fine. The internal aerial do not work in a hardtop boat, but shooting thru canopy or screens is not a worry.

Hope this helps,

Huey.

Gday

I have the Lowrance Lms 339 which has a internal antenna I have had occasions where it hasn't lost reception at all

And other times when the bloody thing has driven me crazy I would go the external if I had a choice again I have been told that the angle of the finder makes a big difference and If there is a lot of dried up salt on the windscreen can cause reception to be lost

I originally had a chartplotter with an internal antenna installed on my boat but it was never reliable on acquiring satellites so I changed it for an external antenna model and it made a 100% improvement.

The external antenna is non-obtrusive and is lucky to sit 1 1/2" high on the bow in front of the windscreen.

BTW, this is just my opinion and my observations. :biggrin2:

cheers

Hooky

hi Osprey Rider,

i went through this same thing about internal vs external about a year ago.. what i found in my research was that internals were ok in a open runnabout and not real good if cabin or especially hardtop.. the external ones were better at acquiring a signal.. i went the external after much advise and this was the way for me even though i have an open runnabout.. i can remove my antenna to put away as i got a screw mount for about $7 so no worries about the creatures of late nights :ph34r: sampling my hard earned goodies.. unless they are game enough to take it from under my pillow...when i dream of those big fish my gps has to be close to mark the spot :1prop:

cheers .... steve.....

Edited by roosterman