Brisbane Waters Ettalong

Ray R

G'day Raiders, Went out today just after lunch with my good mate Hutcho and our sons Jordan and Bryce. We went to Wagstaffe and pumped a few nippers, then went for drift along the sand flats at Ettalong, we scored some big fat whiting and a couple of flounder, as well as a few throw back flatties and a some small whiting which we returned. The whiting ranged between 28 and 34 cm's the larger whiting were really fat. So we had a fun arvo out there with the boys, and now it's time to get over the frost bite , think it was about - 5 out there late this arvo. See Ya Raiders.... :clapping: P.S took a late sunset pic I think Raiders will like it...

post-3371-1183280798_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1183281110_thumb.jpg

This post brings back great memories of fishing Brisbane Waters.. arguably, the most beautiful waterway around.

My brother and I grew up fishing the flats around Pretty Beach, Ettalong and of course, fishing the Rip for XOS Bream.

We used to get BIG whiting on blood worms around Lobster Beach. We used to dig the worms on the mud flat in Pretty Beach and drift around for hours and hours.. we regularly caught 40-45cm sand whiting. I don't think the mud flat is there anymore. Last time I was up there, it had turned into sand.

Am up there with the :wife: and :wub: (daughter - no ther icon available) this Christmas. Can't wait for another crack at the estuary.

Great post Ray. :thumbup:

Cheers

Ceph..

Great result there Ray - a top effort on the whiting for this time of year.

It's a productive little area that one - I regularly pull good numbers of flatties from the weed beds drifting the opposite shore between the wagstaffe corner and half-tide rocks but haven't tried the sand-flats for whiting yet. I'll be up there this weekend so might have to give it a burl.

This post brings back great memories of fishing Brisbane Waters.. arguably, the most beautiful waterway around.

My brother and I grew up fishing the flats around Pretty Beach, Ettalong and of course, fishing the Rip for XOS Bream.

We used to get BIG whiting on blood worms around Lobster Beach. We used to dig the worms on the mud flat in Pretty Beach and drift around for hours and hours.. we regularly caught 40-45cm sand whiting. I don't think the mud flat is there anymore. Last time I was up there, it had turned into sand.

Am up there with the :wife: and :wub: (daughter - no ther icon available) this Christmas. Can't wait for another crack at the estuary.

Great post Ray. :thumbup:

Cheers

Ceph..

Hi CEPH, They are huge whiting you have caught there, I don't think you are allowed to dig for bloods any more, my biggest whiting is 38 cm that's small compared to your ones.. Cheers Ray R...

post-3371-1183412656_thumb.jpg

Hi CEPH, They are huge whiting you have caught there, I don't think you are allowed to dig for bloods any more, my biggest whiting is 38 cm that's small compared to your ones.. Cheers Ray R...

Ray.. they were brusiers !!!!! They would take a bit of getting in also.. often, we would be using the lightest of spin gear over the sand bars and the Whiting would run with the bait and then come up to the surface and you would play them in like a Bonefish.. great fun and bloody good tucker.

There is a famous family called "The Murphys" who live in Pretty Beach. The old man farms his own tube worms. They catch some absolute monsters. I have seen them several times with bags of 40cm + fish. They got one a couple of years ago which looked like it was a small Jewie.. massive. Probably approaching the 50cm mark.

38cm fish is still very respectible.

Must get up there.. :thumbup:

Cheers

Ceph.

Ray.. they were brusiers !!!!! They would take a bit of getting in also.. often, we would be using the lightest of spin gear over the sand bars and the Whiting would run with the bait and then come up to the surface and you would play them in like a Bonefish.. great fun and bloody good tucker.

There is a famous family called "The Murphys" who live in Pretty Beach. The old man farms his own tube worms. They catch some absolute monsters. I have seen them several times with bags of 40cm + fish. They got one a couple of years ago which looked like it was a small Jewie.. massive. Probably approaching the 50cm mark.

38cm fish is still very respectible.

Must get up there.. :thumbup:

Cheers

Ceph.

Hi Ceph, am I able to contact the tube worm Murphys, or don't they do it any more, can I purchase some if they still do it. I would like to say how much I enjoy talking with you and all the raiders and I also hope my little contributions help someone go and catch a fish or two.. Regards Ray R...

Hi Ceph, am I able to contact the tube worm Murphys, or don't they do it any more, can I purchase some if they still do it. I would like to say how much I enjoy talking with you and all the raiders and I also hope my little contributions help someone go and catch a fish or two.. Regards Ray R...

Mate,

He is very shy. He only breeds for his own use.

I remember buying the worms at a tackle shop in Woy Woy. The one down near the Co-op. I get mine at a local Sydney bait shop. They seem to be fairly common down here. They are actaully farmed worms from the NT.

We used to get some gooduns on nippers but the big boys were always on worms. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ceph.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Seeming as you are talking about good whiting. I have to show this pic of a big whiting my kids caught from Wamberal beach this summer. Not too far from Wagstaff/Lobster Beach as the crow flies. It's an extra big cutting board that I use for cleaning fish which I just measured at 47cm long. Couple of nice fillets off the side of that sucker.

The Poacher

see you at sea

PS. hope the picture shows up, I havent uploaded one before.

Edited by The Poacher

Hi,

Seeming as you are talking about good whiting. I have to show this pic of a big whiting my kids caught from Wamberal beach this summer. Not too far from Wagstaff/Lobster Beach as the crow flies. It's an extra big cutting board that I use for cleaning fish which I just measured at 47cm long. Couple of nice fillets off the side of that sucker.

The Poacher

see you at sea

PS. hope the picture shows up, I havent uploaded one before.

Where is your pic Poacher? I am very keen to see the beast... :thumbup: