Live Bait Rigging

aussie big bob

Hi there fellow raiders

I was just thinking how long does it take for dry rot do set in

as my boat has not been in the water for the past 5 weeks. :Funny-Post:

But to a much more serious topic. I was just wondering how other raiders rig there live baits as i am no expert and thought i would try and get some tips on the different styles of rigging live baits

I would like to know about down rigger, trolling, anchor. kingie, tuna and what ever other style of live bait fishing other raider do.

leader size, hook size, hook position, weights at anchor if used and i suppose why its done that way

and i think some pic's would be good aswell

Cheers

bob

Assuming we mean fish here:

For Tuna, the best way is to rig it out about 20m from the boat 2m under a balloon with the hook through the back or behind the anal fin.

Trolling and Downrigging, a single live bait hook through the nose, or circle/live bait hook bridled from the nose or front of the eyes.

At ancor don't let the livie swim freely as it will tangle up every single line you have out, use a weight or float to keep it in the general area you want to fish.

IFS

Hi Bob

exactly what info are you after What target species?

Also this (Blue Water)rigging topic might be talked about at this weeks up and coming Workshop

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=21707&hl=

For rivers using mullet i hook thought the lip

whole squid and long squid strips sliding snell

yakka and tailor through the back

Sliding snell for slabs

Hi Bob

exactly what info are you after What target species?

Also this (Blue Water)rigging topic might be talked about at this weeks up and coming Workshop

http://fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.ph...c=21707&hl=

For rivers using mullet i hook thought the lip

whole squid and long squid strips sliding snell

yakka and tailor through the back

Sliding snell for slabs

Hi there johnno

You ask me what am I exactly after. Well here it is I am after, the never ending quest for knowledge.

What one man may think is true may not be so true.

The gathering of knowledge from many is far better way to go.

The type info: any that will help me achieve catching bigger fish.

The type of fish: any but could narrow this down a little to ( bigger ) tuna, kings, snapper ,dolphin and more

And just to sum it up a little quicker I was board and had read just about every thing on the forum so I thought I would start something and get some answer or ideas for when the weather finally comes good.

As this is what I thought the forum was all about help, the chance to try what others have already done.

Cheers

bob

Edited by aussie big bob

i usually rig live fish by pinning the hook through the mouth or through the back, the first method seems to keep the livie in better nick tho. for squid i use a sliding snell setup unless its a tiny bugger in which i use the one at the top of the cape.

When trolling, bridling the live bait is the best option. A rubber band is placed over the hook of choice, with the other end insertered into a bridling needle. The needle is passed through anywhere from the nostrils to the front of the eyes. The the end which was in the bridling needle is also placed on the hook. The hook is then twisted, so there is 3-4 wraps in the rubber band the the hook point goes back underneath the rubber band. Then the rubber band is slid up the shank of the hook to about halfway. This methods makes the livies last alot longer and swim straight.

Hope this helps. Dougy

hey mate

i do a lot of live baiting for flathead.

this is my rig from bottom up

t

you have a light star sinker then above that is a short dropper with a 3/0 hook hen above that is another dropper with a 4/0 live bait hook then above that is a float stopper in which a running float is put above then a line joining knot is tied from the main line to the line of the live bait line.

from Good from kirkby.

Edited by Good from Kirkby

hey mate

t

you have a light star sinker then above that is a short dropper with a 3/0 hook hen above that is another dropper with a 4/0 live bait hook then above that is a float stopper in which a running float is put above then a line joining knot is tied from the main line to the line of the live bait line.

from Good from kirkby.

looks good to me i like it because it's innovative and could really go well :thumbup:

regards and good luck in narrabeen lakes

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1:

hey mate

t

from Good from kirkby.

i fish for flatties under a heavier version of a blackfish rig... on mainline --float stopper(so you can adjust depth... heavier stick float.... swivel....then 1.5 metre trace(20 lb) with split shot placed at equal distance up the trace (nb this is to stop the float form getting a pendulum effect when you have one weight near the hook.. not quite as important for flattys as when blackfishing)...suitable hook thru livies shoulder....

we use this method in places where we know the depth and is especially useful in snaggy country...

using the float you can "swim" the mullet over the area by casting out and retrieving super slow over dropoffs etc... float goes down count to 3 bang you're on.... you really need to have the mullet within 30 cm of the bottom... this has consistently pulled fish for me...

me and my mate have constant arguments on this subject....

one more trick... if you keep you're mullet in a white bucket with an aerator for 2-3 days they will change colour and go really pale and milky..... have a look at them in the water ...