My First Kayak

KingsRule

Hey guys , pretty bored , got nothing to do at home so thought I might post up what I have been working on for my major design and technology project for year 12.

Been working on it for the best part of 12 weeks , (roughly 4 or hours a week for the first 10 , then every day for the past two weeks)

Sadly there is no rod holders (YET) , might add them in after it gets marked.

I wanted to call it “Pasha Bulker” appropriately , but was advised against it…I wonder why?!

Only a few brief pictures this time , might at more later if anyone is interested.

I plan to take it out for its first sinking, I mean paddle on Friday so will have some pretty pictures of it on the beach

Stage 1 was drawing the full scale plans onto paper , from a little set of plans in the book & we made a few adjustments to suit my needs.

We then traced the plans onto 3mm marine ply and cut them out with a jigsaw.

Placed the side beams on (shear clamps I think they are called?) do aid support for the deck .

Next was to attach the 2 hull sides together , first we fibre glassed the middle 2 feet (give or take)

th.ff87279742.jpg

Then slowly increased pressure in the middle and pulled the side up, naturally bringing it into a smooth diamond/oval. (placing copper ties along the bottom seam to hold and assist the shape)

th.b8a27d117f.jpg

th.15175c26e6.jpg

Then we placed the deck supports in , this helps hold up the deck and creates the seating area.

th.2429c29854.jpg

After that we epoxy’d everything , and traced out the deck.

Cut it out with the jigsaw , then marked out the area where I would sit (sorry mental block cant think of the proper term!) , we place the deck onto the hull and fastened it with an epoxy resin mix and bronze nails.

Cut out the rim for the seating area (3 ,4mm ply sheets placed on top of one another with the top being 15mm wider to create a ‘lip’ to deflect water that washes up onto the deck. )

th.3c1fa0508c.jpg

Now everything was in place the sanding marathon began, sanding till my heart was content …or I was just to tired

Filling caps in between the hill and deck joint , to create a smooth look.

The deck and hull will now be sanded / varnished a number of times to create a nice finish .

We are upto 3 coats , have been some guys do upto 7 to create a stunning finish.

After all the varnishing has been completed , we will add bungs & storage straps ontop of the deck.

Ive missed a lot of little bits , but I guess you get the main idea :1prop:

Hope I haven’t bored anyone to sleep though

Rob

(just click on the pics for a larger view)

Cut it out with the jigsaw , then marked out the area where I would sit (sorry mental block cant think of the proper term!) ,

Rob i beleive it is called a seat :tease:

Nice work mate, top craftsmanship.

cheers james

Mate that is truly brilliant... I actually won the woodworking prize at my high school back in 1995 and I didnt create anything anywhere near as good as your canoe!

Dont most students just make a wine-rack for their old man?!?!

You are completely justified in being proud of your work - a true craftsman!

Congratulations

Andrew

Rob

Looks great! :thumbup:

Nothing better than creating something with your own hands. I bet you have done some great meditations whilst sanding & laquring her.

Please post the final pics & launch I would love to see her.

Hi KingsRule,

That's a beautiful and well engineered kayak, well done. That one deserves the highest mark in my book.

Hey Raiders, maybe we should chip in and give this young KingsRule a start in his kayak manufacturing business, I think that would be a good investment as long as he doesn't spend all his time fishing. What do you reckon Raiders.

Cheers,

Scout