Import Duty

humesy

Howdy,

Having also noted the strong Aussie dollar, I have thought about buying a fishfinder on Ebay. Does anyone know if a purchase like this is subject to import duty? Any experts out there? It would be a one-off purchase.

Cheers

Most items in this category attract 5% duty + GST on the purchase price.

Check out the freight cost. Is it door to door or door to airport. If the latter then there will be cost to clear & deliver the item at this end

Geoff

Go to this page and read all about importing by post from Australian Customs site

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5653

Remember to include your postage costs in your calculation.

Remember if getting stuff from the States that since 9XX they have a mile of paperwork to fill out to export or post anything and as they have to put there name and ID down don't expect them to write a lower value on goods purchased just to get around duty.

American postage rates suck- try and get it couriered. Many air couriered items go through a pre - approved process or customs clearers and can be less hassle. Can be quite cheap as they can use standby style rates

Ebay- well all I can say is pick who you deal with very carefully as if it is sent sea freight your time to complain may have expired before it gets here. Their complaints and resolution procedure is like a wet smelly fish with no teeth!!!! Quite a few dead on arrivals and reshrink wrapped boxes so beware of smaller traders.

Warranty often not valid in Aussie and will require sending back for probs

Sometimes read in feet and Farenheight only

etc etc.

Often some other Aussie will bring in 3 or 4 and advertise them so his one was cheaper- better deal as at least you know it is in Aussie but you still have the issue of foreign warranty.

I personally wouldn't buy unless you have a few first hand experiences from friends (fellow raiders or fishing club) from the seller and Ebay offers no protection so don't be scared to go direct via credit card to a reputable store and I mean real store with doors and windows.

Sux that the Australian dealers seem to be getting hammered by the wholesalers but we are a smaller market so they take advantage. The end dealers don't seem to make a huge amount so you can only negotiate so far here so I understand why you would look overseas.

Just be aware of the risks.

Good luck

Pel

Edited as muy spelling is crap like my keyboard- might have to put this keyboard out of it's misery - IT something wrong with my keyboard- it is on the floor in several pieces and cable is no longer connected- can i have another please- Ahhh bug-gger it I'll just swap it with the receptionists when she isn't looking she gets everything new!!!! Wonder why!!!???? I think the IT boys like her!

Edited by pelican

Go to this page and read all about importing by post from Australian Customs site

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5653

Remember to include your postage costs in your calculation.

Remember if getting stuff from the States that since 9XX they have a mile of paperwork to fill out to export or post anything and as they have to put there name and ID down don't expect them to write a lower value on goods purchased just to get around duty.

American postage rates suck- try and get it couriered. Many air couriered items go through a pre - approved process or customs clearers and can be less hassle. Can be quite cheap as they can use stsndby style rates

Ebay- well all I can say is pick who you deal with very carefully as if it is sent sea freight your time to complain may have expered before it gets here. Their complaints and resolution procedure is like a wet smelly fish with no teeth!!!! Quite a few dead on arrivals and reshrink wrapped boxes so beware of smaller traders.

Warranty often not valid in Aussie and will require sending back for probs

Sometimes read in feet and Farenheight only

etc etc.

Often some other Aussie will bring in 3 or 4 and advertise them so his one was cheaper- better deal as at least you know it is in Aussie but you still have the issue of foreign warranty.

I personally wouldn't buy unless you have a few first hand experiences from friends (fellow raiders or fishing club) from the seller and Ebay offers no protection so don't be scared to go direct via credit card to a reputable store and I mean real store with doors and windows.

Sux that the Australian dealers seem to be getting hammered by the wholesalers but we are a smaller market so they take advantage. The end dealers don't seem to make a huge amount so you can only negotiate so far here so i understand why you would look overseas.

Just be aware of the risks.

Good luck

Pel

Excellent advice Pelican.

Many thanks

Johnno is 100% correct...

I purchase Fishfinders etc on a regurlar basis from the States...have got over 15 as i puirchase them for mates, You only pay duty if the purchase is over $1000 AUS .......

Customs now have a page specific to internet purchases

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

One other point.

If you use a Australian import agent for your purchases it means you can buy up to the limit of $1000 as the fees and charges and all customs release / inspection charges are charged onna seperate invoice here in Australia in aussie dollars.

And another point.

Many countries have State , local and national taxed and if the shopstates they are exporting the product they can claim thes back or never pay them ( like duty free) so make sure when dealing with the people over the internet or phone you are clear and thell them you are from outside their country and they may be able to reduce the price a little further

have fun

Humesy - get in contact with Netic as he sounds like he has found a reputable supplier who hasn't let him down. Cut's your risk down considerably.

Spot on lads, I know as I just got stung.....

we bought 2 x 80W outfits for $2100. The deal was that he needed to send the rod and reel sperate, so on one invoice he'd put $900 and the othe $900. The remaining $200 was for postage.

I recieved the rods all good and well, but on the reels the AS%hol$ put $2100 on the invoice. $391 later, I still dont have my reels!!! Waiting for Customs to release them.....

Stay under $1,000 at all costs, or it is simply not worth it.

Anthony

Write a note to customs and claim it back. Like with any tax you should only pay what you have to and if you can show that you only pain 900 in 2 lots then you should be ok for a refund. As Kerry Packer once said- "anyone who pays full tax is a XXckin idiot with the way govt's spend it". There is noting wrond with having it mailed in 2 packages. Give them a call and tell thenm the exporter made an error on the paperwork and see what they say before you put it in writing. We generally get things sent to seperate addresses when there is more than one package.

hey Netic, could you tell us which company you deal with O/S. :

mate, i just bought a couple of reels from the US. had some problems but the guy at the other end was very helpful and kept me informed the whole time, all good now.

if you are interested pm me

billy