Morning Squid Session

Jimmy C

Went for a quick squidding session last week at Cronulla but only just got the photos together.

post-2271-1184908343_thumb.jpg post-2271-1184908561_thumb.jpg

post-2271-1184908507_thumb.jpg

Thought I'd post a late report - there are a few around...

Yo Zuri 2.5 in pink did most of the damage.

Cheers,

Jimmy

and jimmy c :thumbup: that's perseverence mate in your little canoe not only do you know about barometric pressure you catch top bait like these critters as well. pm me again jimmy, you can do the deckie help i need with this damn back but it will be at hawkes as you mentioned

jewgaffer

fish on :1fishing1::yahoo:

Well done, Jimmy!! Hope you enjoyed a good feed! I got a Yozuri Pink last week - will bring it down with me next week when I come to Sydney for a few days!! Hope to score down Narrabeen lakes way!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Great work on the squiding, looks good that squid are still around after the kings are teaming up over the last summer :yahoo:

What does the barometre have to do in relation to squid jigging or bait fishing?

Is a rising or falling barometre good for them?

Squid Boy

Great work on the squiding, looks good that squid are still around after the kings are teaming up over the last summer :yahoo:

What does the barometre have to do in relation to squid jigging or bait fishing?

Is a rising or falling barometre good for them?

Squid Boy

hi squidboy.

barometric pressure affects the mood and the feeding habits of fish as most fisherman would have experienced.

some marine species are not as adversely affected as others. so become active when others have shut down.

this is an example for instance. you go fishing at times when you actually feel the atmosphere doesn't feel right and you just know nothing will be biting.

you've even been told by people in the know "there's been no fish caught here for a couple of days" or "you should have been here yesterday" or "kids were catching jewfish on cockatoo feathers " and just to add a bit more emphasis for you squidboyby "even luigi caught 4 kingfish off the wharf on a string of ganged frankfurts" and "his missus got two nice flounder beauties they were with some kind of home made puke that smelt so bad it made my little granddaughter cry".

now your with me and jokes aside. you will still get a few fish that day but they will be freeks and they'll get freekier as the day worsens and the ill wind breezes on.

ok then, it's even a fine day, the barometer is rising real fast but why no fish. the answer is antartic mate. i.e. ongoing southerly influence. ring a bell ?

the creatures you will catch will be a follows - catfish, fortescues, toadies, scorpions, slimy eels, occie, sea snakes :1yikes:

you'll be having rods going off everywhere getting your heart pumping fast. "what sort of fish were they" answer " migrating jellyfish getting to hell out of there fast"

now on those days, in the right places there can be some very successful applicants and to bring it back into perspective :-

the occie will be peeping thru a little crack in his octopus garden fortress waiting for night to full and to reach out and grab any lethargic and bloated critter that happens to swagger past like jimmy the local drunk on th footpast path at midnight. got it? you see the fish worst affected by the barometric pressure become easy prey for others who aren't.

now on those days which jimmy c knows very well, he soon flicked his favourite zo zuri around for the feed he was targetting and jimmy got a pretty good feed for himself too i might add.

when jimmy chose to go, the squid would be highly active and jimmy simply knew they would be even doing the dance of the sugar plum fairies for jimmy c as they had nothing much else to worry about. :yahoo:

hope this helps

JEWGAFFER

AND DO REMEMBER - EVERY TIME YOU GO FISHING PLEASE TAKE A KID OR TWO WITH YOU.

SO IF YOU SEE THIS SMART LITTLE BLOKE BELOW STRUGGLING AROUND IN THE SWELL OR TRYING TO PADDLE UP A WATERFALL JUST THROW HIM IN YOUR BOAT AND BELIEVE ME BROTHER HE'LL SHOW YOU HOW TO FISH ! :biggrin2:

FISH ON :1fishing1: jewgaffer :074:

post-829-1184971515_thumb.jpg

Edited by jewgaffer

IFishSick and Fishlexic:

Land based on the ocean side

Squidboy:

On the barometric pressure thing, I'm no expert but I think that the barometer and weather patterns have a bit to do with the feeding behaviour of fish and that you can get times when they are biting a lot more aggressively due to these variables. I'm still working it out though.... Perhaps there is a resident biologist on Fishraider who can shed some light for us all.

I suspect that if there is a barometer effect it would be valid for a lot of the species in the food chain including squid.

Penguin:

A few for the table and some for bait.

Roberta:

That jig is now my favourite. Good luck on your trip down to Sydney - I hope you get a few.