Botany Bay

went out with Dad today after a 3 week absence of fishing

got out of the ramp around 6.30 and headed to the groynes near the Novatel

had a 1/8 ounce nitro with a camo sandworm for the first 10 or fifteen minutes

couple of hits from small squid ( things followed me all day and i got one that nearly inked me )

changed to a turtleback worm in pumpkin green but was finding it hard to hold bottom

put on a 1/4 ounce no.1 size nitro and had a better feel ( strongish current down deeper)

3rd cast , drag is running and I strike , feels like a good flattie

couple of runs , get it near the boat and it's off again (this is fun )

tire the bugger out and it is a good 55cm flathead and a fat, wide one at that

we end up near Doll's pt and things go quiet so we head back to the first groyne

after 15 minutes i'm on again and call it for a small flattie, swimming straight for the boat

reeling in as fast as i can it gets within 15 foot , turns and starts shaking it's head ,maybe not so small?

2 more good runs and Dad nets a 54 cm model for me

Dad's rod is very quiet , so we head over near Watts reef for a look

get a nice slow drift happening, and I'm on again ,28 cm reddie and he's released to fight another day

next cast a small hit and its the guttsiest little whiting ever , dam gulp was bigger than him

we do a few more drifts as I want Dad to get a fish,He finally nabs a near 50cm flattie and He's happy

second last drift my rod is peeling line and Dad calls it for a bream, cant get it near the boat for a look

4 runs later and it's another flattie , 52cm and not as fat but gee he put up a very unlike flat one fight

a long day on the water but at least it was a nice day and we get a feed

Edited by swordfisherman

Hey guys.

I reckon Whiting on SPs are underrated. I caught my biggest ever blue nose (40cm) on a 4cm pumpkinseed grub around midday on boxing day two years back on Port Hacking. Every man and his dog was out playing with his new Xmas presents, whitewash everywhere, and I cop my PB whiting!

Who'd have thought it! :yahoo:

The problem is specificaly targetting them - they tend to be by-catch when you flick for flatties. I know where to find them, but haven't sorted out the best approach yet.

This summer I'm going to try to find she smallest, reddest wormiest looking SPs I can and see if that works.

Any thoughts?

Nice feed of flatties there, Robee! :thumbup::yahoo: Good size to them, in general - do you work your plastics whilst drifting or use the movement of the boat? I tend to always work mine, but some people prefer the "set-and-forget" approach whilst drifting.

Flattieman.

do you work your plastics whilst drifting or use the movement of the boat? I tend to always work mine, but some people prefer the "set-and-forget" approach whilst drifting.

Flattieman.

I always cast towards my drift and slowly reel in until I'm on bottom

then I give a twitch or 2 and reel in a little more, feel bottom and repeat until I'm near the boat

cast again and repeat

set and forget is not my style , ever since fishing with one of my brothers I haven't looked back

he taught me heaps and I'm still learning, wait for a couple of weeks and he will be up here

that will make for a great report when he fishes with Dad and me