Soldier Crabs

amkulic

Hi,

Ive read that soldier crabs can be used as bait and I can easily get them live down at a beach in Sydney Harbour.

Im interetsed to know if anyone uses them and has any success?

If so how what fish are they used for and how should they be rigged?

Thanks for any info

Have had some success using them at mainbar, caught mostly whiting on them.

I will have to check what hook size i use, but experimented with a few. I mostly use a bait holder hook,and put about 3 crabs on each. I have fished with and without a trace, but always with only a small amount of lead.

The only problem i have had, is i have missed a few strikes while the rod has been in a holder on the sand. I think it is just due to how soft the crabs are(easily removed).

Good luck

Stephen.

:1fishing1::1fishing1:

yeah mate thay are the one of the best big whiting baits you can use up here on the north coast. you want the little black ones bout the size of your little finger nail .i use a partride of redditch size 8 long worm hook as it is nice and fine and doesnt kill the crabs . i use about three at once . they are deadly on light line in the shallows at night as you never know what you will get on them i even got a golden trev last year . good luck jay :1fishing1:

Thanks for all the info...the raiders come up with the goods again :thumbup:

Just quick questions:

- In Sydey Harbour around Clifton Gardens area which fish would there be to target (bream, whiting???)

- And im presuming i need to keep them alive on the hook but where does the hook go so I dont kill them?

Thanks again

Thanks for all the info...the raiders come up with the goods again :thumbup:

Just quick questions:

- In Sydey Harbour around Clifton Gardens area which fish would there be to target (bream, whiting???)

- And im presuming i need to keep them alive on the hook but where does the hook go so I dont kill them?

Thanks again

Re The second question of keeping fish alive to release...take a look at the DPI Fisheries page which has the safest and best methods of doing it.

Fisheries Release Method

Hope this helps....Someone will help with the first question as I don't fish there much.

Cheers.

Pete.

hi mate i think you mean putting the crab on ? you have to turn them upside down and nick them just through the butt about a mill in , then slide him up and go again. just remember they are pretty delicate so be carefull putting them on and dont just throw out like you have a prawn on. you want them alive . the big ones crushed up with sand are great burly aswell .i hope this helps mate

hi mate i think you mean putting the crab on ? you have to turn them upside down and nick them just through the butt about a mill in , then slide him up and go again. just remember they are pretty delicate so be carefull putting them on and dont just throw out like you have a prawn on. you want them alive . the big ones crushed up with sand are great burly aswell .i hope this helps mate

hey jay just noticed your post. good on you passing on a bit of good info

talking about crabs remember that night when you flashed out a few crabs near the main wharf at ballina and caught those nice female jews that were chasing some mullet ?

heard from jimmy and did fish kill go up and join that trawler bloke at innisvale ?

jewgaffer :thumbup:

cheers byron

Thanks heaps for that gr8 advice :thumbup:

Will this method catch just whiting or is it suitable for other species as well.....and when casting should it be unweighted or with small sinker to reach bottom???

Thanks heaps for that gr8 advice :thumbup:

Will this method catch just whiting or is it suitable for other species as well.....and when casting should it be unweighted or with small sinker to reach bottom???

mate you can catch just about anything on them flathead,bream,tarwhine etc . i fish really light 4lb braid and a 6lb flurocarbon trace.i also fish at night on the sand flats [somtimes in waders] so i only use a small amount of lead ,just enough to flick it out . using braid or fireline helps you to get good distance with such a light weight. have a try and let me know how you go :1fishing1:

Hi fish hunter,

I've had recent success using them on whiting, what I have found is that the fish will go for the small crabs, around 1cm.

I usually use one at a time on a long shank hook

Nik

mate you can catch just about anything on them flathead,bream,tarwhine etc . i fish really light 4lb braid and a 6lb flurocarbon trace.i also fish at night on the sand flats [somtimes in waders] so i only use a small amount of lead ,just enough to flick it out . using braid or fireline helps you to get good distance with such a light weight. have a try and let me know how you go :1fishing1:

yep will give it ago soon for sure.

do you let it sink to bottom or should it be on surface?

Thanks for your help

Edited by fish hunter 181