Winter Bassin'

G'day all.

It was a beautiful day up here on Monday. I noticed the barometer shooting up & my pet Bass was very feisty. I couldn't help myself. I had to fish! I got the kids off to day care & when I got home there was still no wind. The :wife: got the usual speil. " Honey, I'm going fishing." So with a roll of the eyes & a kiss on the cheek I was off.

I got to the dam at 12.00 p.m. Conditions were perfect. I thought the Bass might come out to play in the warmest part of the day & I was right. The 1st 1.5 hrs was slow without a hit. Then out of nowhere I was on. I could feel that it was a good fish & played it out before netting it. Nice fish to. 41cms & as fat as any Bass I've seen. :yahoo: After release I gave that stretch of bank a good working over for no more hits. Around the corner I go into a shallower bay. I positioned myself so I could cast right along the front of a lily bed. Half way through the retrieve & bang, the lttle Sol 2000 is singing. After a top fight a fat 42cm Bass. How good is this!

I stuffed around with him trying to get shots of him swimming & also in the boat. By the time I realeased him I had drifted to the front of another stretch of lily pads. I turned around and fired out another cast. It got smashed on the drop & another fish is going nuts. This one went 40cm's & had completely inhaled the plastic. The fish wasn't bleeding though & swam off none worse for wear. More stuffing around & more pics before release saw me drift a bit further along the stretch. 2 casts later I'm on again & this fish is zipping around everywhere it was the best fight of the day. I was suprised that it only went 38cm's 'cause it went nuts. Again bloody fat & a great specimen.

The bite ceased as quickly as it started. Time to head home. Off the water at 4.00 p.m. All fish were caught on a 3' bass minnow in pearl blue fished along the front edges of the lily pads. They're not called bass minnows for nothing! :biggrin2:

All in all a top days winter bassing. The quality of the fish was outstanding for that dam. I have seen the average size of the fish increase from 28 -32cm's to 36 - 42cm in the last few years. I'm hoping that this dam will become one of the premier Bass dams in the future & that the fish reach the sizes of their Glenbawn cousins. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Grant.

Wohooooooooooooo great post and pics Grant :yahoo: cant wait till I get up there and get into some of those beaut Bronze Battlers :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

some great bass there mate

excuse my ignorance , but where is that ?

Robeebee it's Clarrie Hall Dam which is the water catchment for the Tweed area. It's 30 mins drive from my place & one of the prettiest places I've ever seen. :thumbup: The second last picture is of Mount Warning which is the first place in Australia to be touched by the morning sun.

Cheers,

Grant.

:thumbup::yahoo:

Grant! Well done mate.

Got me staring at those pics and I’m GREEN with envy. :ranting2:

Clarrie Hall Dam sure is awesome and those pearl blues never fail!

Hmmm … Now I will have to fly up for some guided fishing mate :1prop:

You do the rowing and I’ll drink the beer … as per usual. Hehe. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Bear

Edited by FishingBear

:thumbup::yahoo:

Grant! Well done mate.

Got me staring at those pics and I’m GREEN with envy. :ranting2:

Clarrie Hall Dam sure is awesome and those pearl blues never fail!

Hmmm … Now I will have to fly up for some guided fishing mate :1prop:

You do the rowing and I’ll drink the beer … as per usual. Hehe. :biggrin2:

Cheers

Bear

Thanks Bear. I knew that would turn you green! :074:

No more rowing mate. The leccy is on the tinny now & I've got the padded seats & rod holders. :thumbup:

Maybe now you can drive & I'll have a beer! :1yikes:

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Grant

What a fantastic session!!! We are green with envy! Shame no-one else was there to share the excitement!!! Brilliant looking day & fantastic fish! That bottom photo shows just how fat they are!!

I bet there aren't many people out there that have their own personal 'Bass Barometer'! Just keep an eye on your pet bass's behaviour! How about a photo of him?? An aquaintance here in Forster also has a pet one - he is about 50cm now & lives in a big pond/ditch in the back yard!

.....I'm hoping that this dam will become one of the premier Bass dams in the future & that the fish reach the sizes of their Glenbawn cousins..... I think Fishraiders will be beating a path to your door, now the secret is out!!!

That little Pearl Bass Minnow must be your all time favourite sp!!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Great Report Jewy and awesome fish :thumbup::thumbup:

What is the water temp up north ? it is still much to cold for them down here :thumbdown:

I grew up at Currumbin valley which is not far from mulwillimbah if you go the back way.

Fished the tweed a lot but never fished clarrie hall dam, real shame as it looks pretty as a picture and full of feisty fat bass :yahoo: what more could you ask for.

BM