Rock Fishing Areas

injay

G'day raiders

I've been getting into some rock fishing recently and have a found some pretty awesome spots so far.

I think i may get into a bit of land based game in the coming summer months.

Whilst fishing at Avoca i was told of some awesomes spots by others but have found it difficult to locate these spots.

Most of the areas i've listed below is all about rock fishing.

1. the tubes (jervis bay i believe, video: 'marlin off the rocks')

2. kiama rocks (kiama i guess but where exactly i dont know)

3. swansea rock wall?

4. Long bay jail? (sydney i suppose)

5. Port kembla somewhere??

does anyone know of these places? i've been told their quite popular to sydney fisherman

or perhaps you could suggest somewhere completely different.

i dun mind a drive if i can be promised a good fish, which is a bit hard to find atm off the stones

PM me if u feel the need.

I need actual details as i will be checking them all out in the next coupla months before the action heats up again.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Cheers Jin

Mate dont know much of those spots but one of the best is at Whale beach called the ovens, you need

a little bit care of climbing down the rock face but is not too bad . Huge fish caught not too many landed though

:05: . Other not to bad is Norah Head Lighthouse some good safe rock platforms

hope this helps matey

Mate dont know much of those spots but one of the best is at Whale beach called the ovens, you need

a little bit care of climbing down the rock face but is not too bad . Huge fish caught not too many landed though

:05: . Other not to bad is Norah Head Lighthouse some good safe rock platforms

hope this helps matey

Cheers Hawkesbry Buoy

I know of and have been to the ovens many time, however i dont like the abseiling bit tho!

Tomaree headland (south head portstephons) is a very good spot.

In autumn they get LARGE kings, longtail and bluefin tuna and occasionally cobia, i have also heard that they get quite a few sharks aswell.

cheers james

Cheers James

That is one of the places i was looking for!

supposedly the land based cobia record lies there!

anyways i found a heaps of good spots if anyone is interested

unfortunately it wasnt from any fishing forum

however this website does lead to rockfishing hotspots!

http://www.angelrings.com.au/locations.html

All the spots you are mentioning should never be attempted by the uninitiated or novice as they can be quite hard to find ,especially in the dark.

These spots like Tomaree which I have fished many times are quite treacherous in any sort of bad sea conditons,especially a heavy Nor Easter.The climb in is hard and you must always have a fishing partner with you.

Please do your research when accessing these platforms as many have hidden dangers for the foolhardy.

Cheers Stewy.

The site you have listed has Angel Rings there for one reason and one reason only!!!!

People have been washed in at these spots and have lost their lives :(

:dito:

I have had waves go right over me and nearly sweep me into the ocean because i wasnt prepared....

always be extremely careful because a good days fishing can turn into a nightmare in a second

The spots your talking about are some of the most dangerous ledges you can fish so do your reaserch if your going in there.

the inner tubes at j/b was closed to fishos for a while not sure if its still closed or not.if its open its about a 2k walk in and its all down hill so when your coming out after a days fishing its rough on the legs

the ledge at kiama is on the south facing side of a rocky point that sticks a few hundred meters,

this is a no go place when theres swell around ,lots of people have lost their lives here ,it is good fishing for kings ,salmon,bonito but be careful

port kembla i would presume the are talking the ledge at the bottom of the sewerage works,another great spot for spinning but probally the #1 spot on the death list,the ledge has 3 tears to it and fisherman get caught out because the waves seem to dissapear as the come up to the first tear and then a huge sure of water comes over the next one talking you with it.

the other 2 i have never fished.

most of these spots are fished for paleagics wich will hit lures on days with no swell to so have a good look before you plan on going in to them.i have fished them for 20 years and i still pick my days before i set up camp on any of them.

cheers

col

Thats so much for all the knowledge and concern raiders

And yes after much research i have found basically what everyone here is saying

I never fish alone or on anything more than a 2m swell

I must admit all these deaths are really quite frightening!

Hey Jin .... sorry ive been out of touch for a couple of months.

Your always welcome on my boat mate ! ...... we'll be in touch again in a month or so when it warms up and we'll get out again.

But you might have better luck in some of those regional areas than on my boat !

Id love to get up to Port Stephens/Nelson Bay but a lot of the ramps are sandy and not very friendly for my 2wd grr grrr.

cheers

Rod

For Kiama.......

Yes, people have lost their lives near the blowhole but they were mostly inexperienced or couldn't swim. There are other spots that you can fish from that are higher ledges like at kiama heights, just drive right out to the end of the headland or alternatively drive down the road 10kms to Black head at gerroa. The water is not as deep at both these locations but shallower water means less surpises from sudden water at waist height. I have been washed over by waves on a couple of occasions at black head but never looked like going into the ocean, just a bit of bark off on the rocks. It is mainly the deep drop offs where the water seems to rise out of nowhere and drags you in. Deep water also equals bigger fish for land based game but I would recommend finding a happy medium for the first couple of years.

:beersmile: Stallo

Edited by Stallo

Cheers Stallo

Thats basically what i have in mind

i've been hitting most of the ledges across sydney

however i must say the fish are a lil off the bite!

i will definately be heading down south at least once for a holiday during the summer.

I think i may use that opportunity to learn as i know there will be experienced fishos around these spots

Hope to run into some of the guys on scumbags there!

After that i may use some new techniques in and around the ledges in sydney that i'm familiar with.

Very Sad to hear that the ovens is now harder to access due to local residents!

I do appreciate all the concern and advice raiders!

If theres anyone out there headn for the stones round sydney, gimme a PM.

Cheers Jin

Cheers Stallo

Thats basically what i have in mind

i've been hitting most of the ledges across sydney

however i must say the fish are a lil off the bite!

i will definately be heading down south at least once for a holiday during the summer.

I think i may use that opportunity to learn as i know there will be experienced fishos around these spots

Hope to run into some of the guys on scumbags there!

After that i may use some new techniques in and around the ledges in sydney that i'm familiar with.

Very Sad to hear that the ovens is now harder to access due to local residents!

I do appreciate all the concern and advice raiders!

If theres anyone out there headn for the stones round sydney, gimme a PM.

Cheers Jin

swansea wall i'm assuming is the north breakwall at the entrance to lake macquarie, on central coast... the north side(beach) holds good flatties, plus we have had some great sessions spinning for pelagics here too...

the lake side of the breakwall holds jew on the tide changes as well as reasonable bream and flatties all the way to swansea bridge

Plenty of LBG on the Central coast as well if you can avoid the crowds seen at Avoca. Copa is alright but its a fairly shallow headland. Winney bay just around is unreal but dangerous, and if you can get to Caves at Macmasters is another, but is a bit of a trek. Then you have the ledges up at Catherine Hill Bay which are unreal but again a long walk in and out with fish. Its good luderick and pig fishing at avoca though.