Marine Radio Course

Just trying to gauge if any raiders would be interested in the course below.

Marine Radio Course

4 evenings of 2 hours or one day (maybe)

This course is designed to cover most aspects of the installation and operation of marine radios and echo sounders, together with the Marine Radio Operator's Certificate of Proficiency syllabus and participants can sit for the examination as well

Subjects include:

Licensing

Call procedures

Operator's qualifications

Inshore radio service (27 mhz)

VHF International Service

MF/HF Maritime Mobile Service

Marine Antennas

Equipment usage

Emergency Beacons (EPIRB)

Marine Frequencies

Engine care & maintenance

Distress Calls

Digital Selective Calling

If enough members would like to do this course then I will arrange it.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

interested! but whats the cost likely to be!

I'm ditto to wildfish interested in the cost but I sure hope the teacher talks with a repetitive stutter to educate me in any of those hi tech digital menu things :mad3:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi,

I would definately be interested in doing this course as I have just had a VHF radio with DSC installed. Due to work, the one day course would be great.

Thanks

Glenn

Marine Radio Course

This course is designed to cover most aspects of the installation and operation of marine radios and echo sounders, together with the Marine Radio Operator's Certificate of Proficiency syllabus and participants can sit for the examination as well

Subjects include:

Licensing

Call procedures

Marine Antennas

Equipment usage

Marine Frequencies

Distress Calls

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

My 10 cents worth

Ive been involved with running MROCP type courses before. A number of people we had sit the course were totally confused at some of the Techno Junkie stuff in the radio course. Things like specific gravity of cells, batteries in series/parallel, remembering what frequencies for what range at what time of day etc where just overwheelming for some.

Its been a 3-4 years since ive had a close look at the course, but i doubt little has changed. If you have a "helpful" examiner the multiple choice part can be got thru (wink wink) The written part is a little more challanging to remember unless you have been around marine radio for a while and it is a lot to remember all in one day.

We all know that there are 2 styles of examiner:

- some teach it and give you the paper and want a silent room.

- others teach it and allow open questions during the exam time. They may not give you the answers, but will talk to you and prompt & guide & refresh your memory in the right direction.

Im of the opinion that the latter is a better system. It allows you to pass, but you also lean andunderstand it better while you answer the questions. Dont let me set a prerequisite for a leaniant examiner though !!!!!

Ive heard bad reports on some courses that have been run due to the fact it was too hard. Dont let me put water on the fire here, but if you want to cover radio and basic engine care it will be a very big day !

I reckon a better way is:

- a full day course

- then home study during the week (some examiners may have trial exam papers they can distribute wink)

- then a half day. Consisting of a 2hr refresher Q&A session and then actual exam

And im not putting my hand up to help .... sorry !

Rod

PS appoligies for the waffle. I just want to see the course sucessful

My 10 cents worth

Ive been involved with running MROCP type courses before. A number of people we had sit the course were totally confused at some of the Techno Junkie stuff in the radio course. Things like specific gravity of cells, batteries in series/parallel, remembering what frequencies for what range at what time of day etc where just overwheelming for some.

Its been a 3-4 years since ive had a close look at the course, but i doubt little has changed. If you have a "helpful" examiner the multiple choice part can be got thru (wink wink) The written part is a little more challanging to remember unless you have been around marine radio for a while and it is a lot to remember all in one day.

We all know that there are 2 styles of examiner:

- some teach it and give you the paper and want a silent room.

- others teach it and allow open questions during the exam time. They may not give you the answers, but will talk to you and prompt & guide & refresh your memory in the right direction.

Im of the opinion that the latter is a better system. It allows you to pass, but you also lean andunderstand it better while you answer the questions. Dont let me set a prerequisite for a leaniant examiner though !!!!!

Ive heard bad reports on some courses that have been run due to the fact it was too hard. Dont let me put water on the fire here, but if you want to cover radio and basic engine care it will be a very big day !

I reckon a better way is:

- a full day course

- then home study during the week (some examiners may have trial exam papers they can distribute wink)

- then a half day. Consisting of a 2hr refresher Q&A session and then actual exam

And im not putting my hand up to help .... sorry !

Rod

PS appoligies for the waffle. I just want to see the course sucessful

Thanks fishingrod for your comments. Indeed there are many things to consider when taking a course.

I am presently negotiating with some persons and invigilators that conduct the course. The course offered to fishraiders would be tailored to our members. It may be possible to offer an accredited course with exam or an informational course that gives a certificate of attendance with no exam. Lots of people attend courses just for the info and do not do an exam.

When I have all the details I will be posting them here for members to decide. I am a Nurse Educator in my real life (amongst other things :biggrin2: ) and will do my best to make sure that the course offered is appropriate and meets the needs of all that attend.

Standby for info :thumbup:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Definately interested in a 1 day course with the exam so to gain the MROCP certificate.

Marine Radio Course

Subjects include:

Licensing

Call procedures

Marine Antennas

Equipment usage

Marine Frequencies

Distress Calls

Cheers mrsswordfisherman