White Bugs

Webby

Question

Does anyone know what those little bugs are that live inside fish's mouths (especially bream)

I've always wondered what they are - and it was mentioned on another post so I thought why not ask here?

Are they parasitic? Or is it a more you help me I'll help you type relationship with the bream?

14 answers to this question

You mean this?:

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations...tic_isopod.html

They are Isopods...they cling on to the fish's tongue, remove it, act like it and feed on the food the fish consume.

Shant - yep, they always make me jump too when I see them when preparing a fish to cook!!!

And a little bit more...

Common name: Tongue-eating louse

Scientific name: Cymothoa exigua

Order: Isopoda

Suborder: Flabellifera

Family: Cymothoidae

Symptoms: C. exigua is the only known parasite which replaces the organ of its host. So much blood is removed from the tongue of the fish by the blood-thirsty parasite that the tongue atrophies and shrinks to a stub. The parasite remains in the place of the tongue and is used by the fish in the same way as its tongue was.

Notes: All members of the family Cymothoidae are fish parasites and representatives occur in both freshwater and marine environments. Most attach themselves either to the buccal cavity, tongue or gill chamber. Over 400 species are known, many of which are found in the a shop basin where the family has undergone a massive radiation. The genus Cymothoa was described by Fabricius in 1787 and currently includes 43 valid species. C. exigua is most commonly seen on snappers members of the Lutjanus genus.

Edited by Webby

You mean this?:

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations...tic_isopod.html

They are Isopods...they cling on to the fish's tongue, remove it, act like it and feed on the food the fish consume.

Usually only one bug per fish ?

Do they remove the fish's tongue and act like it ?! That's bloody awesome! Does it end up killing the host ? Or make it skinny since it eats it's food ?

Are the fish still edible after they get infested ?

Usually only one bug per fish ?

Do they remove the fish's tongue and act like it ?! That's bloody awesome! Does it end up killing the host ? Or make it skinny since it eats it's food ?

Are the fish still edible after they get infested ?

After today's (limited) research I understand they remove the tongue (which is a bit gross) then attach to the muscles that operate the tongue

From what I understand they only take what they need and let the fish have the rest so it doesn't get skinnier.

In practice I've caught thumper bream with these inside (hence my original post) and eaten them (the fish that is not the bug). My internet research today tells me they're harmless to humans.

Although people do say my tongue now has eyes ... :1prop:

I usually find em in Trevs, and at times have found Trevs with

no bug and no tongue, so maybe the trevs somehow lose them,

or maybe these bugs move on to other fishes tongues :wacko:

penguin

Maybe catfish take 'em.

Then when a Trev sees another Trev with no tongue he asks (wait for it)...

"What's the matter? Cat got yer tongue?"

Sorry.

Edited by Webby

I usually find em in Trevs, and at times have found Trevs with

no bug and no tongue, so maybe the trevs somehow lose them,

or maybe these bugs move on to other fishes tongues :wacko:

penguin

Interesting i thought until this post that they were specific to yakkas and blackies, never did see any in bream but hey now i know.

Thanks.

You find them alot in yellowtail's mouth. sometimes more than 2, I got few yellowtails today to use as bite and found 4 in one of their mouth. they crowl out as fish die. I believe they can live inside/outside of the water.

definately agree, i left some yakkas in my livie tank when i was coming home so i could freeze them for slab baits and once i got home i was cleaning the tank out and found quite a few down the bottom once the yakkas had died.