What Is Your Best Berley Method? Ever Used A Berley Bomb?

arpie

Hi guys

It is a known fact that people berleying usually get into fish a lot quicker than people who don't berley (whether for blackfish or snapper.) What is your preferred method of berleying??

When I lived in NZ, most Kiwi fishers keep all their fish frames, fish guts & defrosted pillies & take them home, add some tuna oil & chicken pellets & put them thru a grinder (or just mash them a bit) & then put them into a large plastic container that also has some wire mesh that has been shaped appropriately, with a shackle attached (exposed) on top. This goes into the freezer (please don't use your upstairs freezer ... :( ) (Or just fill up a plastic milk bottle container with the bits, put the lid on well & freeze. Punch full of holes & drop with your anchor rope.)

When they get to their spot, they check out the depth that the fish are feeding & remove the berley bomb from the container & attach it to their anchor rope at the appropriate depth. Or attach a weight to it & put it over on its own. It starts working it's charm immediately - slowly releasing the bits of bait & guts as it melts, bringing the fish to you. Any left over goes back into the container & re frozen for another day!

Here is one description .... (a bit of kiwi speak - paua is abalone & kina is a sea urchin.) Check out the rest of the LBG Gamefishing for some great stories & photos!! Most unusual find in a fitness website!

http://www.templefitness.co.nz/?page=Burleyupastorm

The bomb can be as large as you can make it. Some Tackle Shops over there used to sell them even in 20kg sizes - if it wasn't all used, just bring back the leftovers & refreeze it for next time!

Cheerio

Roberta

PS Here is a kiwi invention - the wobble pot! The weight of the metal spiral takes it straight to the bottom, yet allows the berley to disperse easily! Anyone got a big spring??

post-2231-1187568966_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roberta

Hi Roberta

I fish from land usually and plus I am lazy so my berley method is pretty simple (and classic) - just a bucket with some fresh white bread mashed up with some old smelly pillies and a bit of saltwater.

Then just chuck it in handfuls and watch where the water carries it and fish around there

Not that exciting I know but thats what i use and it seems to work - caught a couple of big flatties a couple of weeks ago within an hour using that mix (let one go tho as it was a breeder)

Hi Roberta

I fish from land usually and plus I am lazy so my berley method is pretty simple (and classic) - just a bucket with some fresh white bread mashed up with some old smelly pillies and a bit of saltwater.

Then just chuck it in handfuls and watch where the water carries it and fish around there

Not that exciting I know but thats what i use and it seems to work - caught a couple of big flatties a couple of weeks ago within an hour using that mix (let one go tho as it was a breeder)

I use a similar technique, but i put the bread and pillie mix into a keeper net and hang it over the side... i also throw chook pellets and bread into my burley bucket and mash some fish frames into it.

like you roberta i use the old milk bottle trick for of the stones if i fish the beach with a very good gutter i put the berly mix frozen wrapped in chicken wire with a rope and stake stuck into the sand and let the surf wash it back and forth ..that works for me...bob

I use a similar technique, but i put the bread and pillie mix into a keeper net and hang it over the side... i also throw chook pellets and bread into my burley bucket and mash some fish frames into it.

I'll give the keeper net idea a go next time I'm out as well

Just one question (probably a dumb one) - if you are land based (wasn't sure if you were or not) how do you stop the wash from taking all the berley as soon as you throw in?

I can see how the freezing idea would stop it but don't think the :wife: would approve (I've been banned since the great freezer bait leak of '05) - would you just use a net with a smaller mesh size?

I use a small bucket with a lid.Add in some chicken pellets,dry cat food and some bread.When i arrive at the fishing spot i add some water and mix well.i have a small platisc cup and i just scoop out a cup full and throw overboard at spaced intervals(usually next time i remember). I sometimes also add offcuts and bits of bait that we are using(prawnheads/pilchard chunks etc.).I have also tried using a few squirts of squidgy scent when using 2 rods(one with a sp,also sprayed with scent).

Stephen

:1fishing1:

Edited by stephen.h

Hi guys

It is a known fact that people berleying usually get into fish a lot quicker than people who don't berley (whether for blackfish or snapper.) What is your preferred method of berleying??

When I lived in NZ, most Kiwi fishers keep all their fish frames, fish guts & defrosted pillies & take them home, add some tuna oil & chicken pellets & put them thru a grinder (or just mash them a bit) & then put them into a large plastic container that also has some wire mesh that has been shaped appropriately, with a shackle attached (exposed) on top. This goes into the freezer (please don't use your upstairs freezer ... :( ) (Or just fill up a plastic milk bottle container with the bits, put the lid on well & freeze. Punch full of holes & drop with your anchor rope.)

When they get to their spot, they check out the depth that the fish are feeding & remove the berley bomb from the container & attach it to their anchor rope at the appropriate depth. Or attach a weight to it & put it over on its own. It starts working it's charm immediately - slowly releasing the bits of bait & guts as it melts, bringing the fish to you. Any left over goes back into the container & re frozen for another day!

Here is one description .... (a bit of kiwi speak - paua is abalone & kina is a sea urchin.) Check out the rest of the LBG Gamefishing for some great stories & photos!! Most unusual find in a fitness website!

http://www.templefitness.co.nz/?page=Burleyupastorm

The bomb can be as large as you can make it. Some Tackle Shops over there used to sell them even in 20kg sizes - if it wasn't all used, just bring back the leftovers & refreeze it for next time!

Cheerio

Roberta

PS Here is a kiwi invention - the wobble pot! The weight of the metal spiral takes it straight to the bottom, yet allows the berley to disperse easily! Anyone got a big spring??

post-2231-1187568966_thumb.jpg

Hi Roberta you sure come up with some great topics :thumbup: and I think that's absolutely great coz your posts always encourage lots of replies and from the usual good variety of cross opinions everyone learns that little bit more all the time.

I use bottom bombs similiar to those New Zealand wobble pots you have pictured but when I burley I sometimes do it a little differently to others in that I like to think out what particularly burley mix is going to get them going on the day and accordingly I am likely to do I do a lot of extreme variations in a twenty four hour session.

I always use heavily weighted burley pots and suspended them just off the bottom in the bow area so that the ingedients will stream out under the boat and slowly fan back in the general direction of the current to where the stern lines have settled.

I run 6-8 rods even more in company beginning at 45 degrees backwards from the bow with the longer range finder rods which are 9 and 10 feet long even 12 foot 2p if required as I have a roomy mustang centre console jew boat which is specially set up to handle about 4 fishos comfortably and maintain a good rod spread at the same time

what I do differently at times is this :-

when tailor are runnung I burley up with bit's and pieces of minced tailor but I fish yellow tail, or mullet or any other species of livie available other than the species which are running near the boat area at that time.

For example when squid are plentiful in adjacent weed beds I may run squid as bait but vary a couple of baits to alternatives like small occie dead baits or big mullet strips and even my new plan, of using blackfish baits which will be coming up real soon!

The other thing I often do is to house all my the snappers lead in little stainless steel oval shaped burley pots about 6 inches long , full of fine burley all around the snapper lead with a couple a couple of hooks hanging off the on line burley pots loaded with whole squid to make it look like squid have grabbed hold of the whole contraption and this has often worked successfully and resulted in a jew hook up more often than just once or twice and I reckon this whole apparatus actually enrages and I would even go so far as to say totally outrages the jew who are the stealth thinkers , the snatchers and grabbers and after all said jew are the true bosses and the kings of the rivers and estuary systems.

Another way for fast heavy disperspement I employ, is to fill up a large strong quality paper bag with all sorts of fish ingredients marinated in maroota sand drenched in squid and occy ink and gut fluids and all the natural frozen or collected fish remnants and other marine stuff like cunjee and busted oysters etc .

I tie the neck of the paper bag with cord and slowly lower it to the bottom and jig it around till the paper bad busts open allowing the marinated maroota sand and all the weighted bits and pieces to roll gently around on the bottom in the area of my lines.

Another very good subject Roberta! And I hope I have contributed some helpful alternatives in the essential usage of burley for far better results in any and every type of fishing

regards and any chance you could motor down to Brooklyn to join Royce luderick_angler, Peter luderick59 for our planned backfish bait long jew sesion on the Hawkesbury in the pre spring ? :yahoo:

Tell you what Roberta it would be really terrific if you could make it and those critters simply won't have much of a chance at all, I dare say. :thumbup:

Cheers Roberta and heaps of applause for another excellent post :thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Great subject roberta.... i never used to berley but now i do and it has double my fish. i get all my old bait ( pillys, prawns, chicken gut, cat food, bread you name it) put it in a blender add a bit of water blend it all up and you have a mix that a cat could smell for kilometers... i then put the mix in a chinese container (the round ones), then frezz. i just grab one out of the frezzer take the lid off and drop it in the berley bomb. bloody simple and effective...

post-2163-1187583033_thumb.jpg

p.s.. be careful with the blender 1. don't use one you eat out off. 2. don't overload with bait mine caught on fire.. ant any good now :thumbdown:

cheers livebait!! :1fishing1:

Edited by live bait!!

.....any chance you could motor down to Brooklyn to join Royce luderick_angler, Peter luderick59 for our planned backfish bait long jew sesion on the Hawkesbury in the pre spring ?............

Yeeha Jewgaffer - you won't have to ask me twice!! I'd love to join you guys!! Do you have any dates in mind yet?? I'll put it down as a 'definite'! I would be able to come down & stay with my brother Sails at Collaroy!! It would be great if I could contribute to the blackies & hopefully get my first decent jewie!!! Had a couple busted off when I've fished the wall here using lighter tackle. Only ever landed 2 soapies to about 2kg.

Hopefully, the weather won't be like it is here today!!! It has swung round again & we are copping it full on right now. We've had water coming in under our front door & the rain is running UP THE STREET (the wind is so strong) and we live on a hill!!!

Jewgaffer, You certainly do have all the answers to so many questions!! I love reading other people's methods & results from the same Centre consoles are great, aren't they? So much more efficient for fishing. Hmmm, the old berley in the paper bag trick!! That one has been around for a while - some even add a stone to break the bag quicker! In Hawaii, they make them out of material (funnel shaped & tied at the pointy end) & fold them in such a way that a tug will release the chum where they want.

I have all 3 of the "Fishing Hawaii Style" by Jim Rizzuto (bought in Hawaii in '92!) and would recommend any serious offshore fishos to look into getting a set! Brilliant ideas that work anywhere in the world. Shows you how to make all sorts of fishing tackle & big game tricks. Check them out on the web.

http://www.finefishing.com/authors/rizzutt...zzuttobooks.htm

Thanks guys for your alternate berley methods - I am probably one of the worst at this .... I rarely berley but know I should!!!

Hey, Livebait, I hope you have your own blender & it doesn't live in the kitchen!! Hmmmm, cooked berley - now that is a new one!!! Perhaps you need one of the manual ones (meat grinder!)

Hi Webby - that is where the frozen berley & the chicken wire comes in handy (also don't chop it up too fine so it goes thru the bag too quickly.) Take some tuna oil with you as well to top it up if it goes quiet.

Keep em coming!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

.....any chance you could motor down to Brooklyn to join Royce luderick_angler, Peter luderick59 for our planned backfish bait long jew sesion on the Hawkesbury in the pre spring ?............

Yeeha Jewgaffer - you won't have to ask me twice!! I'd love to join you guys!! Do you have any dates in mind yet?? I'll put it down as a 'definite'! I would be able to come down & stay with my brother Sails at Collaroy!! It would be great if I could contribute to the blackies & hopefully get my first decent jewie!!! Had a couple busted off when I've fished the wall here using lighter tackle. Only ever landed 2 soapies to about 2kg.

Hopefully, the weather won't be like it is here today!!! It has swung round again & we are copping it full on right now. We've had water coming in under our front door & the rain is running UP THE STREET (the wind is so strong) and we live on a hill!!!

Jewgaffer, You certainly do have all the answers to so many questions!! I love reading other people's methods & results from the same Centre consoles are great, aren't they? So much more efficient for fishing. Hmmm, the old berley in the paper bag trick!! That one has been around for a while - some even add a stone to break the bag quicker! In Hawaii, they make them out of material (funnel shaped & tied at the pointy end) & fold them in such a way that a tug will release the chum where they want.

I have all 3 of the "Fishing Hawaii Style" by Jim Rizzuto (bought in Hawaii in '92!) and would recommend any serious offshore fishos to look into getting a set! Brilliant ideas that work anywhere in the world. Shows you how to make all sorts of fishing tackle & big game tricks. Check them out on the web.

http://www.finefishing.com/authors/rizzutt...zzuttobooks.htm

Thanks guys for your alternate berley methods - I am probably one of the worst at this .... I rarely berley but know I should!!!

Hey, Livebait, I hope you have your own blender & it doesn't live in the kitchen!! Hmmmm, cooked berley - now that is a new one!!! Perhaps you need one of the manual ones (meat grinder!)

Hi Webby - that is where the frozen berley & the chicken wire comes in handy (also don't chop it up too fine so it goes thru the bag too quickly.) Take some tuna oil with you as well to top it up if it goes quiet.

Keep em coming!

Cheerio

Roberta

Great Roberta great you've fished with Pete before and handy he's from the north side and perhaps you may be able to team up with Pete to meet up with Royce and myself at Brooklyn?

I'll be able to get Royce up there as he's over in the south west somewhere in my direction, I believe.

I have already left my diary open for when Royce gets back from his English holiday and fishing safari.

I wonder if he'll be using Baskerville hounds to sniff out the good old English carp and pickerell or what ever they call those fish over there and, maybe the English still use maggot to catch fish like those little brook fish that are covered in hives and spots. :074:

It will be a very exciting to meet you Roberta and do let your better half know you will be in safe hands fishing with this troika down here and we'll sure set an example and make a real mess of the blackfish with big jew as bait I tell ya :yahoo:

cheers Roberta and the photo of the jew you caught did come thru nice and clear on my pm system and little jewgaffer, aged 10 said "pa with all those blackfish and jewfish pa that lady fisho must be a tournament champion pa and is she pa".? and I just said "yes she really is Byron"

jewgaffer :thumbup:

And Peter luderick59 and Royce Luderick_angler if you are reading this post can you whack in some imput of acknowledgement of this definitely a goer, consolitary mission so it will remain on here and save me sending pms, but from my part it will be on for sure and certain.

It will be well and truly registered at this end and it will be absoutely historical on fishraider and I'm dead serious I tell ya - Struth for a moment I thought I was going to say "absolutely hysterical on Fishraider" :074:

Regards

JG (& Fishraider Little JG)

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi all

As mentioned in another post my success to date is almost zero.So burley is a must in my books.I have been considering a purchase of some pvc bags which are suppose to disolve after a short while in the water.Thus allowing the burley to be lowered to the required depth before breaking open. Have any of you used them? If so do you think they are worth the outlay.

regards Dashe

Hi all

As mentioned in another post my success to date is almost zero.So burley is a must in my books.I have been considering a purchase of some pvc bags which are suppose to disolve after a short while in the water.Thus allowing the burley to be lowered to the required depth before breaking open. Have any of you used them? If so do you think they are worth the outlay.

regards Dashe

Yep, I mean no don't lay out any mula on fancy bio degradable bags .Just grab hold of a good quality Aldi bag and place a tiny hole in the bottom .

Thread some old 100 lb mono thru and place a couple of 10 cent size ss washers stuck on with silicone and tie a dirty big bomb sinker to the end of the mono outside the bag so that the 100 lb mono runs thru the cente of the bag . Fill that up with fresh burley not stale and rotten puke, that's an old wives tale mister.

THEN YOU LOWER IT DOWN TO THE BOTTOM AND AS YOU LIFT IT BACK UP THE BAG WILL START TO TURN INSIDE OUT. YOU SHAKE IT ROUND A LITTLE AS YOU RAISE IT AND THE CONTENTS WILL ALL SPILL OUT. THEN YOU RETRIEVE THE BAG AND RINSE IT OUT, FOLD IT UP , PUT IT IN YOUR TACKLE BAG AND IT WILL BE READY FOR NEXT TIME.

THE ALDI BAG SHOULD LAST YOU FOR YEARS

Hope this helps

LittleJewgaffer :tease: and pa showed me that years ago and I'm only 10.

Hi Byron

What a great tip!! I bet there will be a few raiders rigging up one of those fairly soon! Very similar to Jim Rizzuto's Chum/palu bag. But He makes up a few of them & freezes them (in plastic bags, of course), releasing them as required during his fishing trips. SO the berley is released a bit more slowly.

With your Pa guiding you, your fishing future is assured! Well done!

And I am not a champion fisho - just an avid fisho!! It is my biggest hobby

Cheers

Roberta

Hi Dashe - Byron's idea would be a good one for you to work with - just the one outlay & lots of re-use!

Hi Coolamon - I saw those rigs in NZ when I was there over 10 years ago - well weighted, they easily get it to the bottom, then open up & you can refill them easily again later.

Edited by Roberta

Okay. i'm off i ntwo hours and its getting hard to keep up with you lot you've got too much spare time i tell ya, some of us work a graveyard shift here :05: ha ha..........any how you know i'm in for a session!

On burley an old trick in heavy run for blackies is the paper bag trick, use 2 bags one inside each other fill with damp not wet burley tie to a string and over she goes when it gets to the bottom yank and away she goes this is most effective from a boat BTW. It will keep the fish very close to the boat.

for bream try this mix soya beans, potato, peanuts and chook pellets soaked for 24 hours mix wit hno name weet bix and get the glugiest combo you ever seen toss that in wit hyour scoop or favourite burley bomb and watch out!

Cheers

royce.