Too Many Rods?

tjgood

Got a call from my wife on saturday at work saying she was at &&*&*& & there were two rods on the throw out table. They were 1 bream/whiting rod & 1 boat rod after my enquiry, but at a good price. She convinced me to buy them so I said I'll look at them when I get home. Got home & they seemed pretty good so I got all the rods out to match them up with reels & to my surprise I have 18 rods & reels. 10 bream/whiting, 4 boat, 3 beach & 1 blackfish. Do I have a problem or is the the norm?

Hey Trevor,

Im not sure what the norm is but using some very valuable fore thought i decided to buy one light spin, one light baitcast outfit, a heavy spin and baitcast, 2 beach rods (one heavy one light), a heavy overhead for boating and am now in the process of aquiring a fly fishing outfit.

Why the forethought? Because I bought the best of the best and have a purpose for every combo. I have no unused rods sitting idle, (bar the ragoon stick my grandfather built!) and intend to make em last. :thumbup:

Cheers,

Bobfish

You can never have to many!

I think if you have used the rod in the last 3 years it's fine.

After that it's time to sell it.

I went threw my collection a few weeks ago and culled 9 outfits.

A few I have already sold off to friends the rest I might put up in here.

As a totally addicted angler I tend to go threw phases in my fishing.

Years ago I baitfished the rivers and gamefished off our game boats.

Then lure fishing the rivers took over as I had a very young family, I didnt have the time to blow full days out on the water.

Fly fishing was next and then back to lure fishing.

Now it's lure fishing the rivers, blackfish and tropical lure casting plus I'll take the fly rod out if the salmon are up on top in the harbor.

So the main rods are#

8x bream tournement rods.

2x blackfish rods. (10ft for rivers, 13ft for rocks)

2x fly rods. (7wt, 9wt)

5x tropical lure casting rods. (20,30,50,80,100lb)

4x low profile bait casters

4x larger river spin rods (8,10,14 and 20lb)

plus a few game rods left overs.

All outfits are now in the premium end so I'm happy with what I have, it's only upgrades from here.

I have 3 rod racks in the garage plus the bream rods live in the boat rod locker.

It has taken many years to get them and to work out what I like. Most reels are Diawa and rods are either Diawa or Miller with Sage fly rods.

Just make sure that you have paper work and photos sent in for your insurance!!!

I have about $50k insurance for them.....

Greg

Got a call from my wife on saturday at work saying she was at &&*&*& & there were two rods on the throw out table. They were 1 bream/whiting rod & 1 boat rod after my enquiry, but at a good price. She convinced me to buy them so I said I'll look at them when I get home. Got home & they seemed pretty good so I got all the rods out to match them up with reels & to my surprise I have 18 rods & reels. 10 bream/whiting, 4 boat, 3 beach & 1 blackfish. Do I have a problem or is the the norm?

I have 19 rods and 17 reels, so i guess we are normal :biggrin2:

penguin

i remember when i frist stared out i was told i would only need two outfits one for beach/rock and one for everything else, this was from my GF who at the time probaly had done more fishing than me. well i bought those two rods. now the collection has grown to 2 light boat rods 2 beach rods 2 river lake rods 2 med to light rods, which when added up to = a couple of thousand dollars. well the funny thing is i have only been fishing for 7 months now. if i keep up this pace i will need another garage to put them in.

and people say drinking and drugs are addictive -- fishing is addictive

No you should think more positive and have a rod for each fish even if you have to build an extra manhole in the garage :1prop:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi guys

I am the original tackle rat! I have more lures that have caught me than fish .... tackle shop owners smile when I walk thru the door!

Having said that .... lots of my rods were 2nd hand - probably only 6-8 I got new & half of those were my fly rods! (up to 12 wt for the big NZ rivers I used to fish!)

I reckon I must have at least 30 rods (not counting my fly rods!) - currently got 6 (better make that 7 now!) set up for blackies, (my fav breakwall rod, & 3 yak rods & a concertina travel rod) leaving 2 for guests, so we can get them into it as well!

No big game rods - mainly spin, beach/rock & lighter stuff. I won't let the other half go thru them tho - he might throw out a favourite! :1prop: He wouldn't know one rod from another!

Ya can't take it with ya when ya go! Enjoy it whilst you can!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Ooooooops! Just got one more yesterday .... couldn't resist ...... 2nd hand, of course ..... needs a bit of work, replacing a runner, sanding the cork handles ...... only cost $5!!! :1prop:

FINALLY GOT MYSELF A BLACK QUEEN BLACKIE ROD!!! :thumbup::yahoo::1clap:

Even the other half agreed it was a bargain!!! I will try this one in my yak, or when I go boating with others!

Cheers

Roberta

I think I've got it baaaaad! Fishingitus! Only cure is to give in to it!

Edited by Roberta

I go through stages.... i accumulate a bunch of toys, a rod and reel for every application... then i get the shits because i have 20 outfits to choose from when i go out fishing, so i end up selling off all the oddball combos usually leaving me with what i actually need.

My staple quiver includes the following;

Spin rods;

1 x 2-4kg rod for light stuff.... trevs, dollies, squid, flatties

1 x 4-6kg rod for slightly heavier... big flatties, big dollies, small tuna, kings.

1 x 6-10kg glass rod and baitrunner... for soaking baits and livies

1 x 15-24kg Jig rod... for jigging :P

1 x MT6144 glass beach rod for our land based escapades.

Overhead rods.

1 x 10kg boat rod and tekota for bottom bashing

1 x Black magic 15-24kg Avet reel... great for downrigging and live baiting

1 x Torsa with 50-80lb jig rod for the unstoppables

1 x TLD30 game setup 30lb

1 x TLD50 game setup 50lb

I go through stages.... i accumulate a bunch of toys, a rod and reel for every application... then i get the shits because i have 20 outfits to choose from when i go out fishing, so i end up selling off all the oddball combos usually leaving me with what i actually need.

My staple quiver includes the following;

Spin rods;

1 x 2-4kg rod for light stuff.... trevs, dollies, squid, flatties

1 x 4-6kg rod for slightly heavier... big flatties, big dollies, small tuna, kings.

1 x 6-10kg glass rod and baitrunner... for soaking baits and livies

1 x 15-24kg Jig rod... for jigging :P

1 x MT6144 glass beach rod for our land based escapades.

Overhead rods.

1 x 10kg boat rod and tekota for bottom bashing

1 x Black magic 15-24kg Avet reel... great for downrigging and live baiting

1 x Torsa with 50-80lb jig rod for the unstoppables

1 x TLD30 game setup 30lb

1 x TLD50 game setup 50lb

Cripes what an arsenel of mighty weapons, that's for sure :1yikes::thumbup::thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I love the stuff and I do not think I could ever have enough. If you love it and it does not stop you from puting food on the table for your partner and kids and you can afford to put shelter over their heads why not.

Sorry what a load of poo. Who cares about food and shelter just buy gear.

We have about 20 different outfits...

You are normal mate.. :biggrin2:

Ceph, most of us store ours rods in the boat or the garage, not the bottom of the harbour !!! :074:

My boat looks like a porcupine when I go out, and that's without anyone else bringing their rods..

Bait rods, trolling rods, casting/spinning rods, bottom bashing rods, live bait rods, etc.

Cheers

Greg

Oh dear!! The stories we tell!!! They're not really lies, are they?? More like a fib! :1prop::wacko:

Cheerio

Roberta

Just worked on my Black Queen - all spruced up ready to go!!!! :1prop:

34 rods, and 27 reels last count. and I've just won a Daiwa Capricorn 4500j on EBay.

Don't tell missus. Please.

Gawd. We get worse as we get older. 65 and not counting.

Macka17