Casting Jigheads

robeebee

Yep - that 4lb crystal fireline & a good rod & reel makes all the difference!! I was casting further than I thought I could this morning, with one of those small storm yabbies - could even be lighter than 1/16th as I'd removed their weight & put a smaller splitshot on!!

Cheers

Roberta

i've just spooled my 2000 size reel with 4 pound crystal fireline

hope it makes a difference

thanx for the tips guy's

i have it on a 7' shimano catana ,

will the extra length over my 6'8 rackraider make for a longer cast ?

The length of the rod does make a bit of a difference in the cast.

However I feel that the action of the rod and line test is a lot more important for getting a good cast.

Carbon fibre and 4lb - 8lb true braid, not fireline, provides the best cast for SP's.

IFS

Length of rod definitely makes a big difference with my 7'2" raider I could cast easy 30m i recon, but with my 6'8" less than 25m. Once again 4lb fireline spooled right up to the rim helps and also a reel with a larger diameter spool also helps. Also when i am going for big cast i often use both hands.

BM

• 1 month later...

with lighter lures i cast it out straight instead of a loopy cast at 45° with heavier lures

Lighter weights have less inertia so you need to compensate with speed. This is part of the reason that 7' rods cast further, the tip moves faster and further during the power stroke of a cast than on a shorter rod.

Gday fishraiders, just wondering if someone could give me a little advice. I am currently using standard 4lb fireline on a 1000 size real, what is the differance between that and crystal fireline and what do you guys think is the best 4lb braid for tossing lures?

Gday fishraiders, just wondering if someone could give me a little advice. I am currently using standard 4lb fireline on a 1000 size real, what is the differance between that and crystal fireline and what do you guys think is the best 4lb braid for tossing lures?

Crystal Fireline is just a transparent Fireline. As for the best braid, I'll have to defer to someone elses wisdom on that one, I've only really used Fireline. I imagine it will be a matter of personal choice though.

Richie.

Definately FINS mate, I'm a Fireline hater :tease:

Holds memory, not true braid and feels like plastic.

Even more so to the Crystal Fireline, though I havn't used it, my mate has and he always gets wind knots on the spool and ends up losing at least 10m every time. I beleive "landbased" has had this problem with the crystal line aswell.

FINS imo is the best line you can get in the average price range, for the more expensive stuff I like Bass Hard PE braid.

IFS

Thanks for that IFS, i have also had some problems with the fireline knoting up neer the spool and losing line as a result, i will definately go and check out the lines you have mentioned. Do you or anyone else have any thoughts about the quality of the reel you are using and how this effects fireline getting knots.

• 4 weeks later...

Definately FINS mate, I'm a Fireline hater :tease:

Holds memory, not true braid and feels like plastic.

Even more so to the Crystal Fireline, though I havn't used it, my mate has and he always gets wind knots on the spool and ends up losing at least 10m every time. I beleive "landbased" has had this problem with the crystal line aswell.

FINS imo is the best line you can get in the average price range, for the more expensive stuff I like Bass Hard PE braid.

IFS

I'm with you on the FINS - top line - have been using it for years on three of my outfits.

Thanks for that IFS, i have also had some problems with the fireline knoting up neer the spool and losing line as a result, i will definately go and check out the lines you have mentioned. Do you or anyone else have any thoughts about the quality of the reel you are using and how this effects fireline getting knots.

Hundgie

i recently bought a daiwa freams kix and loaded it with fireline 6lb

When the the other member seen it was new he said i would have fun breaking it in

which i never had issues except i way over filled the spool which i had a little slack a few times, next cast gone anyway, probably over 600 casts that day.

ive just recently started using the linesystem bass hard braided pe line and i dont think im ever going to go back to fireline anymore... it the best ive used... for a cheaper line though i was using stren microfuse which was pretty good.. nothing special.. but basshard is the best by far i reckon

Guest Big-Banana

Fireline is rubbish, grab a hold of the Fins or TUFline (although I think they don't make it in anything about 10 or 20lbs). I've never had a good batch and won't bother again.

Grab a longer rod and make sure your line to leader knot is nice and small so it flows through the guides nicely. Albright is one of the better ones for that.