Blue Groper On 4lb - 5.85kg

Luringbream

Hey all, i went out to a local reef today some 3kms offshore and managed to bag a mixture of species. I set anchor and began to burley up, i was fishing a paternoster rig with size 1/0 hooks on my 4lb bream outfit. First drop and i caught a leatherjacket around 40cm. Next drop i had a double on 25cm trevors and from here on in the fish started coming in thick and fast.

Some 25 drops later and i had a real bite, i struck the rod to set the hook and this fish ran straight for one direction. With 4lb line, i was doing all i could to stop the fish from reefing me without pulling the hooks. I was quickly buried! However that was not the end..i knew i had no chance of skull dragging him out with only 4lb mainline so i flipped the bail arm over and left the reel in free spool. In the meantime i chopped up a bit of berley and allowed for 2-3 minutes to go by hoping that the fish might swim out of the reef (i found this technique has worked a number of times). I then picked up the rod again to find that he had indeed swum out of the reef and i was slowly winning back some line. I won a little and he took a little and that process continued for about 4-5 minutes as this fish just did not want to give up. I finally saw colour and i quickly netted him.

I was stoked! He weighed in at 5.85 kgs and estimated length of 68cm(rule only goes to 60cm)

post-331-1188136393_thumb.jpg

He put up an awesome fight on 4lb gear and i must admit, he fought better than a king of similar size!

I then hooked and lost another one so i decided to fish with 10lb gear and i soon landed another of around 3kg. I released all but 10 trevally, 2 groper, 4 leatheries, 1 morwong, 1 just legal snapper and a few sweep.

DAN

What a beautiful fish! I still cant believe you caught that beauty on 4lb! :1yikes: I've had some real bruisers laugh at my 24kg tortue when fishing for them from the rocks so that fish on 4lb is a bloody great effort! :thumbup: Jeez they can go...definitely as powerful as a kingie but they dont have the same stamina so once they're out of the rough stuff you're in with a better chance.

Just curious, what bait did you catch him on?

By the way, they're great eating in that size as well - enjoy!

Hey all, i went out to a local reef today some 3kms offshore and managed to bag a mixture of species. I set anchor and began to burley up, i was fishing a paternoster rig with size 1/0 hooks on my 4lb bream outfit. First drop and i caught a leatherjacket around 40cm. Next drop i had a double on 25cm trevors and from here on in the fish started coming in thick and fast.

Some 25 drops later and i had a real bite, i struck the rod to set the hook and this fish ran straight for one direction. With 4lb line, i was doing all i could to stop the fish from reefing me without pulling the hooks. I was quickly buried! However that was not the end..i knew i had no chance of skull dragging him out with only 4lb mainline so i flipped the bail arm over and left the reel in free spool. In the meantime i chopped up a bit of berley and allowed for 2-3 minutes to go by hoping that the fish might swim out of the reef (i found this technique has worked a number of times). I then picked up the rod again to find that he had indeed swum out of the reef and i was slowly winning back some line. I won a little and he took a little and that process continued for about 4-5 minutes as this fish just did not want to give up. I finally saw colour and i quickly netted him.

I was stoked! He weighed in at 5.85 kgs and estimated length of 68cm(rule only goes to 60cm)

post-331-1188136393_thumb.jpg

He put up an awesome fight on 4lb gear and i must admit, he fought better than a king of similar size!

I then hooked and lost another one so i decided to fish with 10lb gear and i soon landed another of around 3kg. I released all but 10 trevally, 2 groper, 4 leatheries, 1 morwong, 1 just legal snapper and a few sweep.

DAN

Hey luringbream, if u dont mind what bait were you using to catch those gropers? also wat burley did you chuck in?

Thanks for the king words guys, im still stoked!

Makes me more keen to catch one of these beasts now

They are great fun, and now i want a big one! I might start hitting the ledges with some red crabs, never done that before. Landing one from the ledges sounds like a challenge!

Jeez they can go...definitely as powerful as a kingie but they dont have the same stamina so once they're out of the rough stuff you're in with a better chance.

Just curious, what bait did you catch him on?

You raise a good point there, and i agree that groper do not possess the same amount of stamina as the kings. But boy do they have strength!

Nice bag of fish there well done :thumbup:

How good a feed are Groper, anyone know?

penguin

I ate the small brown and gave the larger blue away. I rate them right up there, they are a superb eating fish!

Hey luringbream, if u dont mind what bait were you using to catch those gropers? also wat burley did you chuck in?

I was using chicken pellets as burley, a big handfull to bring all the fish to the boat and each ten minutes or so after another little handfull to keep them there.

I was using half of a peeled raw king prawn.

DAN

Edited by Luringbream