Sydney Harbour - 25th August, 2007

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

We ventured out at Sparrow's Fart on Saturday to plastic up some more Flatties. :biggrin2:

Armed with yet more plastic patterns, we hit the water at 5.00am and motored out into the light rain hoping that Windfinder.com was accurate with the prediction of a cracker day.

A quick stop at the Spit to bounce some plastics off the pylons resulted in one strike but no fish. We nearly got runover by a knob doing 50 knots in the 8 knot zone. :1badmood: We moved into the moorings and started again. The water was dirty in Middle Harbour but this didn't seem to deter the lizards and I hook up on a nice little 55cm model. :thumbup: Shortly after, a slightly smaller Dusky is in the net and we are two up for a hours fishing. Shortly after that, we were run over by a member of the non fishing kyak brigade and decided to move. :1badmood:

We moved out into the Harbour proper and fished from Fairlight to Garden Island. We had many hits but very few fish. All in all, we found it slower than usual. All up, we caught 10 legal flathead and kept 5. The 36cm flathead is pretty small and to our eye, a shame to kill. :biggrin2:

No rods were lost this week. :1prop:

Edited by Ceph

Awesome catch guys! You didnt find any trevors today?

Did you have a look around the headlands, were there any signs of surface fish around or did you come across any in the main channel?

DAN

Dan,

On the way back to the ramp, there were Salmon or Tailor busting up around Georges Head and about 150m off Middle Head. The School was pretty big too!!! :thumbup:

Trevor didn't trun up at all. :wacko:

Edited by Ceph

Dan,

On the way back to the ramp, there were Salmon or Tailor busting up around Georges Head and about 150m of Middle Head. The School was pretty big too!!! :thumbup:

Trevor didn't trun up at all. :wacko:

Hmmm there were plenty of trevors at the reef i was fishing yesterday. Maybe they have moved downstream and are heading offshore.

Did you have a flick at them? Thats great on the pelagic front, im going to head out sometime during this week for them.

DAN

well done Ceph, you love a plastic session dont ya!!

I too encountered a knob doing about 20knots through the spit bridge yesterday morning. Out of all the pylons he could have gone through with no boats in them he picked the one i was drifting through and about 3 metres from me at that.

Good work mate!

Great session, no Stella's overboard this time :1prop:

IFS

Mate,

All Stellas were kept within the boat. I have adjusted my technique. I now stand in the middle of the Quinnie and crouch down a bit when I cast. That way, if I drop the rod, it simply shashes up against the gunwale and doesn't go for a swim. :1clap:

I nearly did it again but managed to juggle then recover. I have some venetian blind cord and a "D" clip at home. Methinks a lanyard is on the cards. :clapping:

Glad to hear you got into a few,

I was trapped by the missus to let her take as few photo's of the cliffs at dover heights.

Then she stumped me by landing a really nice trev.

Other than that, it was a very slow day in the dirty water. those snapper had moved on.

That was me who was chatting to you at Darling point.

Regards

Arch

Glad to hear you got into a few,

I was trapped by the missus to let her take as few photo's of the cliffs at dover heights.

Then she stumped me by landing a really nice trev.

Other than that, it was a very slow day in the dirty water. those snapper had moved on.

That was me who was chatting to you at Darling point.

Regards

Arch

So what did you end up with Arch?

The "spot" was a little quiet this week. :(

hey ceph,

thanks for that PM the other day, i had a feeling thats where you might have been! im thinking of heading out around north harbour today, what type of retrieve do you find is working at the moment a fast, aggressive whip or just a slower lift and sink... im guessing with the temperature getting a bit warmer the whips would be the go in deeper water??

thanks

hey ceph,

thanks for that PM the other day, i had a feeling thats where you might have been! im thinking of heading out around north harbour today, what type of retrieve do you find is working at the moment a fast, aggressive whip or just a slower lift and sink... im guessing with the temperature getting a bit warmer the whips would be the go in deeper water??

thanks

No problem Dicko. I thought I was vague enough :biggrin2:

I find a fast action is the go. I reckon you really have to focus on the line to detect the exact moment the lure hits the bottom so you can instantly set it up again. We have had fish have two or three goes at the lure before the hook up. Once you see a bite, keep working the lure. Don't stop and hope the fish will suck it in. I takes a bit of will power to keep dragging the lure away from the fish but, they will follow and snaffle it most of the time. I have found the gentle action to be less productive. You have to coax the lazy bastard out of his lie.... :biggrin2:

Edited by Ceph

[quote name='Ceph' post='191316' date='Aug 27 2007, 07:38 AM']
Gidday Raiders,

We ventured out at Sparrow's Fart on Saturday to plastic up some more Flatties. :biggrin2:

Armed with yet more plastic patterns, we hit the water at 5.00am and motored out into the light rain hoping that Windfinder.com was accurate with the prediction of a cracker day.

A quick stop at the Spit to bounce some plastics off the pylons resulted in one strike but no fish. We nearly got runover by a knob doing 50 knots in the 8 knot zone. :1badmood: We moved into the moorings and started again. The water was dirty in Middle Harbour but this didn't seem to deter the lizards and I hook up on a nice little 55cm model. :thumbup: Shortly after, a slightly smaller Dusky is in the net and we are two up for a hours fishing. Shortly after that, we were run over by a member of the non fishing kyak brigade and decided to move. :1badmood:

[attachment=21478:attachment] [attachment=21480:attachment] [attachment=21481:attachment]

We moved out into the Harbour proper and fished from Fairlight to Garden Island. We had many hits but very few fish. All in all, we found it slower than usual. All up, we caught 10 legal flathead and kept 5. The 36cm flathead is pretty small and to our eye, a shame to kill. :biggrin2:

No rods were lost this week. :1prop:

[attachment=21479:attachment]
[/quote]

Once again Ceph yet another well done and thumbs up to your mates too Ceph :thumbup:

And very importantly that gives you and other members the all clear to categorise flathead and note for instance that flathead are [size=3] "Reasonably Hardy" [/size] in the type of dirty water etc in your Diary or Fishing Almanac when you summarise best times and conditions for the areas and seasons , see what I mean in my topic Catch heaps of fish etc.... ?? which I hope Admin turnS into a Sub Forum Advisory Centre.

Cheers Ceph

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thats right Jewgaffer...

We have a "Journal" in which we keep a record of all trips irrespective of the catch which s somtimes nil.

This lets us track the action and reminds us of particular spots, baits, conditions etc. It is also an interesting read when you have been away from an area for a while.

Lately, the entries have carried more detail which is a result of this forum. :thumbup:

So what did you end up with Arch?

The "spot" was a little quiet this week. :(

Just a lot of small stuff.

the missus got one nice trev, then a whole lot of small sweep moved in.

got a few small snapper, small flounder and a stinky eel.

Which was actually the most enjoyable as when it tied itself up around the line, my missus was screaming that loud I almost fell in from laughing.

When the water clears, should pick up again.

I'm out for a couple of weeks with weddings and work.

good luck if you head out again