Barnicle Effect

gregr2

hi moonset,

that looks very painful..... be very carefull with barnacle scrapes as it can get very bad real quick with infections.... make sure you get to your gp if you notice it going bad... my mate years ago went in the drink at whale beach and lost alot of bark off himself and it went bad on him.. he ended up on antibiotics as it went septic on him.... doc said it was something to do with the barnicles not the fact he scratched himself bad.....

anyway glad to see you back alive.... too many fishos are not that lucky.... go buy a lotto ticket.......

OMG!! Man - you have to be careful!! The swell up here has been huge the last couple of days - I couldn't fish my regular spot on the wall because of it - so found a quieter spot & caught better fish, & more than I would usually catch down the end!

Maybe just stand off & watch - leave your gear at home when it is like that! No fish is worth going in to the drink!

Cheers

Roberta

post-5408-1189078444_thumb.jpg

Fell onto barnicle coverd rocks then into 2 metre sea. Have scars in all sorts of spots, similar to this.. no fish but

Ouch!!! I feel your pain - I did the same thing back in April walking across some slimy rocks on the low tide (didn't end up in the drink though) - my hands & arms took most of the impact right on some oyster shells!

Luckily I had a fishing buddy there with some presence of mind who threw me a towel (never leave home without it!! - Douglas Adams was right!!!) which helped hold all my blood in.

Other posters are right they are particulalry nasty to get cut up on I still have some crusty lumps on my hands still (which I should probably get checked out)

Ouch!!! I feel your pain - I did the same thing back in April walking across some slimy rocks on the low tide (didn't end up in the drink though) - my hands & arms took most of the impact right on some oyster shells!

Luckily I had a fishing buddy there with some presence of mind who threw me a towel (never leave home without it!! - Douglas Adams was right!!!) which helped hold all my blood in.

Other posters are right they are particulalry nasty to get cut up on I still have some crusty lumps on my hands still (which I should probably get checked out)

Know the feeling webby... ending up in the drink was the scary bit. Baggy cloths and big swell slamming onto rocks. The hard part is trying to get back out! Each swell would take me back up to shelf level, but then backwash off the shelf would wash me back in and under about 6 ft in the waterfall effect. Took me 4 goes till I actually stayed on the shelf by gripping barnicles(mind you the 3 previous attemts didnt do the finger tips any good as I slipped back in.

Anybody else out there been in the drink and like to share their memorable unexpected experience?

Yep, them the signs of a rock fisherman alright! Even more surprised to hear how you got yourself out! :1yikes:

Have yourself a :beersmile: or 2 mate cause you're lucky to be out by the sounds of it! Just keep away from the stones when the swells up like it is at the moment - trust me, I learnt the hard way myself..the barnacles always win :thumbdown:

Cheers

I kinda know what you feel like :(

I slipped on the tom ugly's boat ramp about 3 years ago, I managed to hit the oysters and break my back in 2 places :( cut the artery in my right wrist and cut my arm about 10 inches from elbow down . After I got stiched (lots of them :( ) the doctor said I may have some stuff left in there. It still makes its way out through the scar 3 years later :) but good thing you got out of the drink dude and gl :thumbup:

Know the feeling webby... ending up in the drink was the scary bit. Baggy cloths and big swell slamming onto rocks. The hard part is trying to get back out! Each swell would take me back up to shelf level, but then backwash off the shelf would wash me back in and under about 6 ft in the waterfall effect. Took me 4 goes till I actually stayed on the shelf by gripping barnicles(mind you the 3 previous attemts didnt do the finger tips any good as I slipped back in.

Anybody else out there been in the drink and like to share their memorable unexpected experience?

Mate the more I read the more it sounds like you are extremely lucky to be in one piece.

That would have to be the one exception to your motto - I reckon I would have rather had a good day's work that day!!!

• 1 year later...

who cares if you caught no fish, you got your life back - thats more important! sounds like that could have ended very badly, good to see your still here to tell the tale!

Its times like that you realise how important it is to fish with someone else from the rocks, and something simple like an empty 2ltr drink bottle thrown into the water can help keep you afloat a lot longer while your mate gets help.

just a tip - be careful mate no fish is worth your life!

Pete.

Glad you are safe. That is gonna hurt more as it scabs over Ouch

I have stopped fishing some rock spots I did when I was younger as they have no escape route that I would now be capable of swimming particularly if I copped a knock on the way in. None of the tough spots ever had the option of coming back up where you fell or got washed in any swell and you had to go whichever way the tide and swell was pushing. Learnt my lesson as a young bloke helping a bloke who was washed in (getting a bucket of water) as he tried to get back up the platform. Never seen so many razor like cuts on every part of his body. Even with the adreneline we had to carry him to the car as he stiffened up in pain and bled the more he moved - he was spent and in survival mode and shock. If he had just swam away like we were yelling at him he would have had a nice soft beach exit and a 10 minute walk back. we used to do a drift snorkle from that spot and would never consider climbing back up when there was a protected ledge further around then a beach.

Keep safe and hope it heals well. Glad you posted as it is a safety reminder to all of us

Moonset just caught this post know the area too well! You go in up near the plaque by the pipes on the cliff top? I know for a fact the area has claimed over 50 lives including the double fatality in 1974! Same year a large peice of a ledge dissappeared in cyclonic swells!

Mate have come close at a few places none more so than Yellow Rock stopped 6 inches short of the edge on the High Reef!

Worst scrape was eyeballing 16 plus feet of pure green and living to tell the tale was 13 years ago and still have the scars, many have gone and never returned countyourself lucky and look at a PFD! Theres always a next time! Unless you stay away from rock hoppin!