Upper Middle Harbour

cpanag

Hey all, I'm heading out tomorrow morning to fish the Upper sections of Middle harbour (landbased). I generally start upstream from Roseville Bridge in Davidson Park and head upstream fishing any fishy looking locations. I've caught a few bream and flathead on SP's in this area but just wondering if anyone has any specific spots that might be worth a try.

Also have heard of school jew being caught up this way on lures but without knowing exactly which holes/banks to target I've never really given it a serious go. If anyone has any info/tips that'd help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

Hey all, I'm heading out tomorrow morning to fish the Upper sections of Middle harbour (landbased). I generally start upstream from Roseville Bridge in Davidson Park and head upstream fishing any fishy looking locations. I've caught a few bream and flathead on SP's in this area but just wondering if anyone has any specific spots that might be worth a try.

Also have heard of school jew being caught up this way on lures but without knowing exactly which holes/banks to target I've never really given it a serious go. If anyone has any info/tips that'd help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

bulldog

ive had a few good line peelers of that little wharf thingy near the boat ramp at roseville bridge late at night in winter a few times on live tailor with a ballon. never hooked or landed any though so i couldnt tell you what they are, but i f i do ever land one i will be sure to put up a post here.

good luck and perhaps i will learn a few spots landbased myself from this.

Thanks for the tip!

I fished from the end of Davidson Park (upstream of Roseville Bridge) and a few spots about 10-15 minutes walk upstream from there for not much really. Caught a little whiting and barely legal bream but that was about it, very quiet.

Water may still be a little cold up that way and there wasn't any sign of any flatties. I'll give it a go again in a few weeks time, hopefully things would've improved by then.

Thanks for the tip!

I fished from the end of Davidson Park (upstream of Roseville Bridge) and a few spots about 10-15 minutes walk upstream from there for not much really. Caught a little whiting and barely legal bream but that was about it, very quiet.

Water may still be a little cold up that way and there wasn't any sign of any flatties. I'll give it a go again in a few weeks time, hopefully things would've improved by then.

Mate,

I fished that area u speak of quite alot a couple years ago and have seen a fair few jewies caught from the end of davidson park right back to where carrols creek meets.As well as some big flatties and big bream.If u read craig magils articles on middle harbour and look for clews as well as run through on a boat with the sounder u can work out the deeper sections he talks of.Never really targeted the jews on lures there but have seen em caught on video.I did however purchase a storm twitching nipper when they first came out thinking they would be a good bream/flattie lure, fishing land based i pulled it out of the packet , tied it on and caught a jewie first cast! my only lure caught jew and i certainly wasnt targeting him, he was only around 75cm but ive heard much bigger models have been caught on lures.

Lemme know if u have any luck next time..................

If you can get your hands on a canoe Bulldog the possibilities really increase .Upstream there are a number of prime flathead spots-sandbeaches with deep dropoffs.We use to pull up at likely spots and fish off the shore and always managed a feed.First bream I ever got on a lure was well upstream there.There are deep holes I bet but I guess you'ld need a sounder or else prospect with a sinking SP for deeper water.Or you could try trolling deep running lures.It's a great area-very scenic and peaceful.

Cheers,

Dave.

There are fish up there but time of year is important in my experience. With the sun warming the waters, the flatties will waken. I managed to catch a stonker this time last year. Jewies will feed in numbers between april and july in the right conditions. Look out for bait schools being hammered. That track from davidson park takes you past some good holes. Just pay attention to the depth as your lure sinks and you will find them.

Good luck.

100!

try sugarloaf bay which isnt too far away from there

that place fishes very well land based

or else i like to just flick larger plastics under and around the bridge

my preference is the runout tide

However you guys are right, the fishing in that section of the system is pretty slow atm

it will pick up tho, the best u can get there is a decent jew or nice flattie or bag out on bream.

theres plenty of livies under the wharf too!

last time i was there, i jagged a 20cm blackfish

Cheers Jin