Current And Deeper Water For Smaller Plastic

powersalt

hi guys,

I've always had this problem of using 3 inch plastic or smaller of especially stickbait types on water deeper than say, 2-3m. As most people know, altering the weight of jig heads could produce different action on the plastic and this could sometimes mean fish or no fish.

So, suppose there is this deep place say like 6-7 metres, with a slight current enough to push away a 1.5grm jig head on a 3 inch bass minnow that would otherwise fish very well in 2-3 metres of water, imparting beautiful action, how can i fish in this deeper water? changing into larger tails? I dun think i will, because there are only small breams ard there.

Another scenario, also using a stickbait. This time it is without current and also using 1.5grm jig head on 3 inch tail. However, the location is amongst pylons in deep waters. Say 10-13 metres. It would take ages for the plastic to sink. But if extra weight is added, yes it would rocket down, but the action would be different.

So my question is, how do people fish the deeper waters using such a small plastic?

Or perhaps smaller plastics are not meant to be fished in deeper waters?

thank you

Edited by powersalt

Long casts into the current and work your sp back towards you using the current to keep it down

I use 1.5gm squidgy finesse heads all the time in 30ft to 40ft of water in reasonable current

Also when fishing deep look for eddies this is where a lot of bream will sit I like fishing the last couple of hours of the runout when fishing this way

When fishing pilons in deep water I dont worry about the depth so much as the bream arent on the bottom but somewhere higher up An example of this is I have caught bream in those areas using 1/28oz HWS jigheads It can be a matter of trying different weights without going to heavy to find what depth the bream are at

I used to fish small plastics back home in Scotland for Pollock in deep water off the rocks. I would fish them on a unweighted hook, 2m of clear, memory free leader then a small swivel and a ball sinker of whatever size the depth/current demanded to get it to the bottom. The long trace gives you a very natural action, use a slow steady retrive, don't jig it. To cast just set the hook point gently into the sinker, it will come out when it hits the water, also means the hook wouln't snag on the rocks behind you if space is tight.

Thats what I do, hope it helps

Good luck :1fishing1:

Alasdair

Long casts into the current and work your sp back towards you using the current to keep it down

I use 1.5gm squidgy finesse heads all the time in 30ft to 40ft of water in reasonable current

Also when fishing deep look for eddies this is where a lot of bream will sit I like fishing the last couple of hours of the runout when fishing this way

When fishing pilons in deep water I dont worry about the depth so much as the bream arent on the bottom but somewhere higher up An example of this is I have caught bream in those areas using 1/28oz HWS jigheads It can be a matter of trying different weights without going to heavy to find what depth the bream are at

How if in my case i'm fishing on the banks, thus casting parallel towards the current? it doesnt seems that the current will help me push the plastic down, instead sweep it to the side. This is why i'm having so much trouble keeping my plastic in strike zone.

but cheers for the help though, does help me better understand plastic fishing :thumbup:

I used to fish small plastics back home in Scotland for Pollock in deep water off the rocks. I would fish them on a unweighted hook, 2m of clear, memory free leader then a small swivel and a ball sinker of whatever size the depth/current demanded to get it to the bottom. The long trace gives you a very natural action, use a slow steady retrive, don't jig it. To cast just set the hook point gently into the sinker, it will come out when it hits the water, also means the hook wouln't snag on the rocks behind you if space is tight.

Thats what I do, hope it helps

Good luck :1fishing1:

Alasdair

cheers mate :biggrin2:

i agree iceman and thats the way i fish with the lighter jigheads. use the current to help you keep them down. if the current is rushing i sometimes also walk along with the current slowly working the sp while land based. if in a boat i flick into the current too and use it to help keep the sp down also. i find this requires alot more flicking but i have still caught alot using this way (if that makes sense)

good luck

i agree iceman and thats the way i fish with the lighter jigheads. use the current to help you keep them down. if the current is rushing i sometimes also walk along with the current slowly working the sp while land based. if in a boat i flick into the current too and use it to help keep the sp down also. i find this requires alot more flicking but i have still caught alot using this way (if that makes sense)

good luck

yep that definitely make sense. Unfortunately it can be very difficult walking parallel along the current in places where space are tight. so maybe its a better idea for me to change the type of plastic such as into paddle tail or that wriggler tails.

:biggrin2:

anyways cheers mates

what are eddies??

G'day mate,

In deep water give drop shotting a go. It's kind of like fishing a paternosta rig except the hook (not a jig head) is tied to a flouro leader with a polamar knot with the weight on the bottom.

Outside in deeper water, I fish 3 and 4 inch Bass Minnows this way and it works really well, you still get great action on the plastic by lifting and sharply dropping the rig so the sinker hits the bottom. It looks like a couple of bait fish scared out of their wits!!!! :biggrin2:

Unfortunately all I got on the weekend outside was sargent baker and wrass but the system definately works.

Here's a link that explains drop shotting

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/drop-shot.html

Give it a go... it's a great way to fish plastics in deeper water.

Cheers

David.

Another option for you mate could be to go with some hidden weight jigheads.

That way the plastics will be balanced while sinking and you will get greater action than one that had the same weight jighead on the nose of the plastic.

IFS

gd idea. i will give it a try nxt time.

cheers

G'day mate,

In deep water give drop shotting a go. It's kind of like fishing a paternosta rig except the hook (not a jig head) is tied to a flouro leader with a polamar knot with the weight on the bottom.

Outside in deeper water, I fish 3 and 4 inch Bass Minnows this way and it works really well, you still get great action on the plastic by lifting and sharply dropping the rig so the sinker hits the bottom. It looks like a couple of bait fish scared out of their wits!!!! :biggrin2:

Unfortunately all I got on the weekend outside was sargent baker and wrass but the system definately works.

Here's a link that explains drop shotting

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/drop-shot.html

Give it a go... it's a great way to fish plastics in deeper water.

Cheers

David.

i wonder if this drop shotting method works for landbased fisho casting from a gradually sloping bank into deeper water? Cause from what i've seen it requires direct vertical jigging like from a boat or from a rock ledge. i dont really know though. More clarification needed. :1prop:

cheers mate