Flatties On Sp's

shan777

Hi there,

my name is Shannon, i'm a 23yr old married man, who loves SP fishing for bream and flathead.

I'm obviously new to the forum so hi everyone. Looking forward to joing the community you guys have going here and getting to know everybody.

Here goes my first post;

Put boat in (my crap ass tinnie that i have to put on box trailor-yes i know quite embarrassing! Newlwed on single income is lots of fun!!), got on water on sunrise, and headed off to Patonga/Dark Corner for some plastic fishing.

Afetr 15 mins of nothing, the sun came up and so did the flatties. Fished for about 3-4hrs, catching 15 flatties, 12 of them legal.

I was using the old faithful 4" Berkley minnow in watermelon.

Just when i was content and ready to head home, i saw a biiiiigggg surface rise behind me, guessing what it was, and keen to have a bit of fun on my super light outfit, i threw the plastic towards it, and sure enough, a 5min plus fight with a 2-3kg salmon followed! Had him right up to the boat and in one last attempt, he did a jump and spat the hook. It was ok, all the fun was already had!

Then i got onto a school of tailor hitting some whitebait and caught 4-5 legals, - also loads of fun.

So all in all it was a top little outing

Hope these pics works- not sure what i'm doin yet

PS- thanks go out to Ray for the tips!!!!

post-5515-1190338940_thumb.jpg

post-5515-1190338867_thumb.jpg

post-5515-1190339011_thumb.jpg

Edited by shan777

Welcome

No such things as crap boats, just some better than others. You have achieved more in your boat than i have in my three totaled together, well done and keep up the great reports

And any boat is better than no boat!!!!! :1badmood:

Welcome along mate, nice effort there and don't worry you just made me remeber the days of my crappy little 11ft tinnie on the Georges with its 6hp but it was fun and i caught more fish out of it than guys in theirquintrex's and what not. Mate it's the fisho that makes the boat not t he boat that makes the fisho! Keep up the good fishing!

:1welcomeani:

Great report well done on the flatties :thumbup:

sound like you had some fun on the light gear

awesome picture taking stlye With both arms strecthed out

as for the boat YOU HAVE CAUGHT MORE FLATTIES ON YOURS THAN I HAVE ON MINE 5m glass bowrider

the size of the boat dont mean much it is all in the FISHO

Cheers

leaky181 :beersmile:

Great result and congrats on the first post.

Just got back from Dark corner myself after a short outing with the wife. Got heaps of small flatties with one exceptional keeper. She caught her first salmon after casting up against the rocks, go figure. She handed the rod over after a good five minute fight after her wrist got sore. First tinnie I owned had a six on the back and still reckon this is the best setup for Patonga. I've been using the same lure in `sardine' seems to be the go.

Welcome, Hutcho1

Sweet report Shannon and :1welcomeani:

sounds like just the right boat for the job to me

and the results just go to prove it :thumbup:

Nice catch of Flatties Mmmmmmmmm flathead fillets

in beer batter with tater wedges and sour cream :drool:

no make that Aoli with chilli

Keep up the great reports :thumbup:

Chris

I just ate the flattie fillets tonight..... and yes......... mmmmmmmmmm!!!

It was quite funny actually..... i went onto the old faithful Youtube and learnt how to fillet fish, including the different technique for flathead- Here's the fruit of my efforts!!!!

post-5515-1190536761_thumb.jpg

:05:

Ha Ha! It doesn't look that bad, but i have 4 more of those!!!!!!

I'll get better i spose!

Ceph, to answer your question, i haven't actually got into the gulp's yet, that was just a normal power minnow.

I have used the squidgie's- esp the balck and gold/gary glitter ....squidgie fish i think its called- for flattie. I also use the wriggler in bloodworm for bream.

I usually use the 3" power minnow for bream with 1/16 oz jighead, and as in the pictures, the 4" with a .... i think it was a 1/4 oz jighead. The reason i use that big of a jighead is my theory is that it really thumps into the sand on the drop and makes a much bigger stir when it hits. I could be wrong, but it seems to work