Sydney Harbour Sunday 7th October 2007

gretsch

Gidday Raiders,

I fished a land based spot in the Harbour for my first serious crack at a Surgeon on Sunday and you wouldn't believe it, I actually caught three. :1yikes:

There wasn't much size in them; they were all around 30cm mark. I can't seem to find a bag or size limit for these guys. The Fisheries website doesn't make a mention. Does anyone know? I heard there was a bag of 5 but no minimum length.

I also landed about 15 Luderick all around the 30-34cm range. Kept two but gave them to my Old Man as he hasn't tried them.

We ate the Surgeons last night and I might just say that they are probably one of the best eating fish available in the Harbour. The have beautiful white flesh which just melts in the mouth. They are also deceptively meaty. The only strange this is that their assholes are very close to their mouths which means you have to gut them with one finger which can be a challenge. :wacko:

Thanks to Luderick Angler for the tips and tricks he provided to ensure my success!! :thumbup:

Before:

After:

Edited by Ceph

solid work with getting 3 Ceph, im going to have to try for a Surgeon one day soon. Do they pull any good at 30cm?

Cheers

Dan

They go very hard for their size. They head straight for the structure and with a 10 foot slow action rod, are difficult to keep away from the piles. I can't imagine what the 51cm unit Kingsrule caught would do to a Luderick outfit. :wacko:

Good onya ceph :thumbup: , dont they pull hard :biggrin2:

On the new fisheries stickers, i think there is no size limit and a max bag limit of 5.

Rob

Thanks Rob.. gotta get me on of those stickers. Strange that they have no size limit. :wacko:

Edited by Ceph

I dont think 2 many of them get landed to see a size restriction set :074:

Ha ha.. :074: they could probably make the bag limit 1 (if you're lucky) !! :biggrin2:

I was using 20lb braid and a 14lb flurocarbon leader in case a hooked a biggun..

Edited by Ceph

Guest squido

nice work ceph congrats!!!! :thumbup:

Well done Ceph,The pungent aroma of the skin/slime is offputting,but the skinless fillets are sensational eating!

Well done, Ceph

We get little ones up here near the moorings - I caught one (about 20cm) & it had incredibly 'sand paper' like skin. Some have a white stripe at the base of the tail.

Haven't heard of anyone getting edible sizes up here yet - but I guess they must be out there!! Who knows, maybe one of the biggies that have busted me off may have been one? We'll never know till we land one!

Cheers

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Well done, Ceph

We get little ones up here near the moorings - I caught on (about 20cm) & it had incredibly 'sand paper' like skin. Some have a white stripe at the base of the tail.

Haven't heard of anyone getting edible sizes up here yet - but I guess they must be out there!! Who knows, maybe one of the biggies that have busted me off may have been one? We'll never know till we land one!

Cheers

Roberta

Roberta,

They get up to 65 odd cm in the Harbour. The average is about 30cm according to a pro I know. He also reckons that a lot of the bust offs are Surgeons rather than the often assumed Drummer. They have sharp teeth too so unless they are lip hooked, it is all lover in a matter of seconds.

Edited by Ceph

Nice fish mate.

Does anyone know if there is a Surgeon population in the Port Hacking?

IFS

I think there may be.. they frequent deep clear water with rocky weedy bottoms and are also found around wharves.

Let us know if you find them!! :1prop:

Ceph,

well done mate, don't worry i've seen some big ones cruise the stucture where i put you onto, good to here the blackfish are still frequenting the area. No worries mate were on for the next run out on a weekend i'll let you know.

Went out yesterday myself with dad and got 9 blackfish all over 40cm with a 10th one going 29cm he was a stray, also some large surgeons cost mea float and 20yards of line! :1badmood::05: but that happens!

You do get them in the Port i got one down at Hungry Point the other day first one i have seen in the port in 20 odd years of chasing blackfish in the port dad has never heard or seen one there so they do enter i'd be trying around some of the sheer rock faces with moorings etc where the bottom is a mix of sand and weed wit hplenty of kelp on the morring structures aboat is thewy to target the things in the port the western point of gunnamatta bay would be a go below the lamp post.

Oh by the way Ceph congrats and well done again. Hope you topped those filets off with a cold one! :beersmile:

Cheers

Royce.

Ceph,

well done mate, don't worry i've seen some big ones cruise the stucture where i put you onto, good to here the blackfish are still frequenting the area. No worries mate were on for the next run out on a weekend i'll let you know.

Went out yesterday myself with dad and got 9 blackfish all over 40cm with a 10th one going 29cm he was a stray, also some large surgeons cost mea float and 20yards of line! :1badmood::05: but that happens!

You do get them in the Port i got one down at Hungry Point the other day first one i have seen in the port in 20 odd years of chasing blackfish in the port dad has never heard or seen one there so they do enter i'd be trying around some of the sheer rock faces with moorings etc where the bottom is a mix of sand and weed wit hplenty of kelp on the morring structures aboat is thewy to target the things in the port the western point of gunnamatta bay would be a go below the lamp post.

Oh by the way Ceph congrats and well done again. Hope you topped those filets off with a cold one! :beersmile:

Cheers

Royce.

Royce,

There were several :beersmile: ...

The Surgeons were there for the first hour of the runout then, only Luderick for the remainder. I lost a few good fish too.

So, you got Surgeoned eh!!! Did you see your float bob up like the barrels in Jaws? :biggrin2:

Thanks again... :thumbup:

Nice fish mate.

Does anyone know if there is a Surgeon population in the Port Hacking?

IFS

mate i know of about 10 places where there are huge schools of surgeons up to 3kg in port hacking!

found them all diving and have never tried fishing for them but i reckon they would be pretty hard to stop at that size.

PM me and i will give you a tip on a place to start!

mate i know of about 10 places where there are huge schools of surgeons up to 3kg in port hacking!

found them all diving and have never tried fishing for them but i reckon they would be pretty hard to stop at that size.

PM me and i will give you a tip on a place to start!

Rocky

Have you ever dived in the Harbour?