Out From Tunks Friday

saltrix

Plans to head south were scrapped as there was a fair sort of chop coming in from the North and I would sooner run home with it than against it so my jigging and downrigging gear again did not get a run.

It was hard to move around the boat at all so there it would have been hard to jig or set the downrigger.

Picked up a tailor around Grotto Point, but he must have been a loner, as a couple more runs were unsccessful.

Then it was off to North Head to cast into the Salmon schools, but they werent having anyof the smallest lures we could throw at them so we bumped our way to Dee Why Wide. The flathead were on the job there and we managed 5, the biggest measuring 64cm, 2 were eastern bluespot and 3 the better eating marbled flathead.

Also got a couple of Nannagi which were a really good size. I havent seen them around so big for a long time. The wrasse and pigfish didnt survive the ride up so were kept as well.

The ride home wasnt too bad going with it, and we found it too windy in the harbour to drift for flathead, although we did spend 1/2 hour setting up a good berly trail inside north head without any success.

The rule is 50cm.

post-3961-1192772444_thumb.jpg

That's an excellent mixed bad there saltrix. :thumbup:

There's a few good meals there, that's for sure!

Those flatties and nannagai are a really good size.

What's the fish under the nannagai? Sweep?

Cheers

Peter

Yes, it is a bit on the small side but the family enjoy eating them.

If you dont scale them but fillet and skin them and then cut all the bones out the flesh is white firm and quite nice, but I like to get them a bit bigger. The closer grounds off Long Reef sometimes hold some good sized sweep and I often anchor, burly and target them.

Hi saltrix,

You did better than me today.

I hit MH late at about 9am and it was windy and choppy.

Couldnt get any yakkas or squid and managed only one bream at 32cm that was released.

Should have stayed at home and done some work but wife had girlfriends over so bailed into the boat to avoid.

Cheers

Good to see you get a feed there SALTRIX. However the Missus is doing the good Catholic thing tonight. and cooking Atlantic Salmon for the family. It will help to alleviate the pain of not being out there on the water myself. She is pushing the barrow pretty hard at the moment,as she is not happy about forking out money to buy the fish. However I am working on solving that problem soon.

Congrats Cheers BART :1fishing1:

that is a good catch saltrix, i was out today departured at rosville at 4:30 did most of my fishing at a couple of reefs in front of north head. We ended up with a couple of snapper, flattys, sweep and one nannigi not as big as yours but was not that bad till about 11 the wind was the killer but looks like you had a better day than us, good catch mate.

Very good bag of fish saltrix! You always seem to get a good mix with some big flattys!

Roosterman, sounds like your building yourself a nice kingy weapon! You should smash them this yr with your downriggers!

is that a hint dicko........ i need a good net man and you did well before :1prop: .. ill let you know before i get out there into em..... with saltrix's super shiny weapons to attract them and deliver squiddies also.....

Edited by roosterman