Choppers In The Harbour

Flightmanager

G'day All ,

Grabbed #1 Son after work and we put in at Kissing Point ramp for a quick fish in the harbour. Just before we hit Cabarita , Brett noticed a bloke waving us down near the marina. Asked us if we could go back a mile or so and tow his boat back ( flat battery) . So , off with the Fishraider hat , and on with the Flightmanager Marine Rescue beanie ( this is the 4th rescue in the last 6 weeks!) . Towed his boat back to the Marina , where his mates were waiting with a power pack .

Not wanting to waste any more valuable fishing time , we hightailed it to the Harbour , it was pretty choppy from the bridge onwards , the NE wind not helping any.

Arrived at our usual haunt at Elizabeth Bay , and noticed a big thunderstorm out to the west , I said to Brett , if it hits here , we will just moor up and raise the Bimini , and keep fishing until it goes.

We set up a drift , and within seconds , Brett is on , with a medium sized flathead , which spat the hook just before we got the net to him . :1badmood:

He did the same thing next cast , hooked the fish , but lost him at the boat.

I was next to score with a 26 CM Snapper , the fish were biting very aggresively , perhaps because of the approaching storm. Even the smaller pinkies were putting a terrific bend in the Catana , it was a couple of hours of great C&R , as there was no real size to them .

We watched the storm approaching , and then it moved away to the north , and the sun came out . This bought the fish on even more vigorously , I caught 1 legal flatty and anothe Tarwhine.

It was now just after 6PM , and we were heading home , fortunately the waters had abated , and we looked forward to a quick run home.

Rounding the Corner into the harbour proper , we noticed a lone boat fishing , and a lot of bird activity. In the time it took us to travel the 200 metres to where they were , they had boated 3 very good sized fish.

A very speedy change to 4" sluggos , and we were into them as well !!

Brett was having a ball on his 6lb line , these choppers were smacking our lures silly , double hookups were the norm , and soon the carpet was covered in blood ( almost all of it theirs , although #1 Son shed a few drops when one of them bit his finger!) .

This continued on and off for nearly an hour , and several times , our choppers were being chased , and in one case bitten by 1M+ kingies!! We soon had quite enough fish in the esky , and made a very rapid trip back to the ramp ( only because we could , the water was like glass the whole way !) .

I reckon if we had no petrol left , we could have run the Etec on the adrenaline alone !! What a great afternoons fishing , looking forward to the weekend !!

post-2063-1195040435_thumb.jpg

post-2063-1195040464_thumb.jpg

This is what the kingy did to the tailor just before we boated him!!

post-2063-1195040481_thumb.jpg

Ross

Damn it!!!! I am still yet to see kingies busting up on the surface!!!! Its all a myth i tells you, a myth!!!!!!! :1wallbash:

But congrats on what must have been a fun session!!! How did the soft plasticks hold up to the taylor???? i lost a few 6 inch sluggos and the tails off about 4 slick rigs in the space of about 20 minutes a few weeks ago when the taylor came on the bite and i didnt even boat one!!!!! mind you i was catching squid with my other hand at the same time so that might have had something to do with it!!!!

top report Ross

Ive got a Catana rod as well but yet to get a decent fish on it

How do you find it ?

Great report,

Had a similar day last year in Rose bay when the tailor were going nuts and the kingies followed them in. Not 1m jobies though. That would make me nervous on the light gear.

Catana though,. hmmm.

Good luck if you do get a decent fish on it. I did a few months back and never stood a chance. :(

Edited by humesy

Sounds like a great session..

Those choppers have been around for a few days now and there is some size to them as well.

Glen, mark, myself and a few other fishos hit them up on tuesday evening.

good fun - happy days.

I want a few of those metre+ kings!

Catana,. hmmm.

Good luck if you do get a decent fish on it. I did a few months back and never stood a chance. :(

Sorry to be like that.

We have found them to be a great little rod , I actually caught my PB flathead on one. I dont know that I would want to hook up to a hood with it though ! :074:

Ross

We have found them to be a great little rod , I actually caught my PB flathead on one. I dont know that I would want to hook up to a hood with it though ! :074:

Ross

I lost a big jewie on mine. It did me in the moorings but I couldn't seem to put any hurt on hurt on him whatsoever. The catana will probably fine for most days but when that one you've been dreaming about comes along....it hurts

Edited by humesy

Great reading, Ross - glad you got onto a good hot spot! Those tailor sure do have sharp teeth - a big one bit right thru my fingernail once, drawing blood! Hurt like hell!

Well done to you & the young fella

Roberta