Furuno

oldsalty

hey all,

Im looking at these furunos and wondering which transducer i require? Ive allways had transom mounted as opposed to thru hull, is this the way to go?

With the 585 u have the choice of the 600 watt or the 1000 watt transducer, whats the difference there?

thanks guys

any info much appreciated

Hi,

I bought the 600W Airmax Triducer with the Furuno 620 (due to budget restrictions) and it has been great, although I don't go offshore. If you really want to get the best use from your sounder you can get the High Definition transducers, they are going to cost you alot but the results should be outstanding. I think most of these come thru-hull though.

Trent

Mate just a quick reminder, going off your other thread your planing to buy this unit O/S...if so you will have to pay Import tax as this unit is over $1000 in value

Netic, if you purchase from bonzer imports you wont have any import taxes as he sends the units and other bits seperatly to avoid this.(or he did with mine anyway).

Luke

Hi oldsalty,

I agree totally with what Anthony has to say.... a matter of matching the transducer to your type of fishing.

There is no doubt the 600W models are great and if you are fishing mainly in shallower water, say < 70 fathoms or so, ideal.

I have the transom mounted 1kW model which gives teriffic detail, especially close to the bottom on the deeper reefs to 150 fathoms, and can read bottom at browns on the troll without a drama. One of the main reasons I opted for this one is that my boat is now on a mooring and it can be lifted out of the water entirely. Dont get me wrong... it is only a little tub (19ft centre console!)

One thing to watch out for is the cone angle on the 1kW model is much narrower, especially on 50kHz, than the standard 600W model (though I think there a couple of different 600W models) which will reduce field of view. That said, I can track a dowrigger weight at about 20ft.

As far as buying offshore goes you might find that the freight/duty etc is built into Dave at Bonzers price, he offers a great service though. PM me if and I can point you in a different direction to get everything in under the limits if you like.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks guys, this info is helping a great deal. :biggrin2:

When u say the thru hull is the way to go if installed correctly does this mean instalation is tricky as in would my dealer know how to do it right?

The 600w should be fine for me , heres what bonzer imports has to choose from;

1. 520-5psd plastic thru-hull transducer, 600w ( 10pin ).

2. 525t-bsd bronze thru-hull trasnducer with temp, 600w ( 10pin ).

3. 520-5msd bronze thru-hull transducer, 600w ( 10pin ).

4. 525st-msd bronze thru-hull multi sensor with high speed fairing block, 600w ( 10PIN).

any idea which one to go?

If it helps it will be installed on a tabs territory pro 485.

thanks dudes, appreciate the help

I'm running the 600w transom mount on my 585 gives great performance. I dont do a great deal deep water fishing but I can pickup the bottom in 400mtrs when doing less than 3 knots. Remember a shot through tranducer will not shot through metal so the install becomes a lot more complicated, take Anthony's advice and ring Mark he helped me with my selection.

Mate just a quick reminder, going off your other thread your planing to buy this unit O/S...if so you will have to pay Import tax as this unit is over $1000 in value

Have the Customs regulations changed recently ???

Under the Free Trade Agreement you shouldn't pay any import duty on any items purchased from the USA. I've had plenty of big ticket items, mostly performance & custom auto parts new & used shipped from the States which I've had to collect from the Clyde customs gateway. a couple of times they tried it on, but a friendly reminder has always set things straight. :thumbup: You will have to pay 10% GST. No avoiding that unfortunately :thumbdown:

Under the Free Trade Agreement you shouldn't pay any import duty on any items purchased from the USA. I've had plenty of big ticket items, mostly performance & custom auto parts new & used shipped from the States which I've had to collect from the Clyde customs gateway. a couple of times they tried it on, but a friendly reminder has always set things straight. :thumbup: You will have to pay 10% GST. No avoiding that unfortunately :thumbdown:

I think the import tax they are referring to is the 10 % GST which is payable on items over $1000, it used to be 500 but i think all the hassals to get the gst out of people made them raise it to the $1000 mark.

It only applies to American made products. Otherwise its $1000 worth.

Thanks guys, this info is helping a great deal. :biggrin2:

When u say the thru hull is the way to go if installed correctly does this mean instalation is tricky as in would my dealer know how to do it right?

The 600w should be fine for me , heres what bonzer imports has to choose from;

1. 520-5psd plastic thru-hull transducer, 600w ( 10pin ).

2. 525t-bsd bronze thru-hull trasnducer with temp, 600w ( 10pin ).

3. 520-5msd bronze thru-hull transducer, 600w ( 10pin ).

4. 525st-msd bronze thru-hull multi sensor with high speed fairing block, 600w ( 10PIN).

any idea which one to go?

If it helps it will be installed on a tabs territory pro 485.

thanks dudes, appreciate the help

Oldsalty,

Personally I would steer clear of a thru hull tranny on a trailerboat.... just asking for trouble I reckon.

These two look like the most suitable:

525T-PWD Plastic Transom Mount Multisensor, 600W (10-Pin)

525STID-PWD Plastic Transom Mount Multisensor, 600W (10-Pin)

and you should be able to get the 525T-PWD for about $150 odd.

cheers

steve