Coffs Harbour

sanger

Hey guys,

as a few of you know i headed up to coffs on the weekend with clifford(no regrets) to see if we could find our selves a marlin or 2..... we fished saturday for one small dollie 60cm ish one 1m model jumping through the spread but failing to hook up and not much else!!!! we found temp breaks but they were over a fair distance so not very distinct!!!! Live bait were also hard to come by so after a full day on the water we headed in a little dejected..... oh yeah and anyone whos never fished out of coffs make sure you are well versed in putting your boat on a trailer in windy conditions! The boat ramp itself is ok but the 30m square area surrounded by breakwall on all sides doesnt leave a whole lot of room for error!!!!

So after saturday we were a little disapointed but not detered and vowed to head out earlier and give it another crack.... we got on the water about 5 on sunday and once again struggled to get live bait so bugger that we will give trolling another crack! on the way out to the fad the wind picked up to about 15+ knots from the north east!!!! This coffs place is stange im thinking to myself!!! a nor easter at 6 in the morning!!!!!

The fad was quiet so we elected to head out of the shelf again and hoped that the forecast would be correct and the conditions wouldnt get any worse, when we got out to the shelf the water was a little calmer but still not overly pleasent but this was all soon forgoten when the shoty went off! We knew straight away that it wasnt huge but it was a start! We boated a small strippy and thought if we find any beakies he is getting briddled up and sent out the back!!!!!

We had found a nice temp break by this stage and worked in and out before the short corner went off..... this was a better fish and was really taking some line.... after a while we got a look and it was a nice dollie but we thought it would have put up a better fight.... after the dollie was boated we discovered that the cliffords brother had pushed the tiagra 50 to sunset hence the battle was over pretty quickly!!!!!

We kept working the break for a little longer then were onto another fish.... we kept the boat going forward for a few more seconds, obviously just long enough as one of the other rods started that noise we all love!!!! Two nice little yellowfin were boated shortly after.... As we were clearing the decks of the other rods and teaser we realised that the witch doctor had been sharked!!!!!! The mirrors were all busted up and missing at the tail end and what was left had some big teeth marks through it!!!!! Lucky for us it didnt take the whole thing as it was still attached with some fairly solid cable despite warnings from some other raiders about the dangers of sharks..... leason learnt the easy way i think!!!!

After that it went a little quiet for a few hours and seeing as though we hadn't come across any bait schools even though we had hooked a few fish we decided to head off and look for some other water!! it took a while but eventualy we found another good break and started to do some laps along the edge! The result was another hit turned into a double by letting the boat run for a little longer!!!! These were better fish and put up more of a fight. The fish were boated after some good runs and pulled the scales to about 16 and 18 kilos respectively.... i say about because it was still pretty rough on the water and the scales were bouncing around between 14- 22 kilos but from previous weighed fish we think that should be about right!!!! It was so rough that just after we had reset the spread and continued on one of the outriggers decided to give up the ghost and broke on the weld near the bottom.... luckly clifford saw it happen and grabbed the pole before it went swimming with the fishes!!!! As the wind warnings had also been upgraded we decided that was enough damaged property for the day and called it quits!!!! We can also add a carbon fibe rod to the list which we snapped the tip off while getting the outriggers out in the dark of the morning!!!

So we didnt get to our marlin that we were chasing but it was still good to fish somewhere new which i havent done in a long time and has got to be good to get you out of your comfort zone and get you thinking more about your fishing again rather than just doing the norm!!!!! Besides clifford is up there all week the lucky bugger so he might crack it for a beakie before he comes home!!!!! Its a shame sum of us have to work!!!!!!

post-4037-1197881330_thumb.jpg

post-4037-1197881357_thumb.jpg

post-4037-1197881385_thumb.jpg

If ever there was ever to be a section given on fishraider in voting for......

"The most tireless persistent fishraider duo of the year".....

you two would be a lay down mazare in knocking that one over..

the fishlexic and no regret's dinner table will be adorned with fine fish cusine once again..

Gee boy's your time is just around that corner and no one could say that's it's not through lack of trying or effort for the reason that the fish you are trying so hard for...... elludes you both....

more to the fact whilst there are some fish around and some are getting caught

there remain's a fair amount of water in between them at present...but that situation is about to change very shortly and

when it does i have no doubt that persistence you are showing at the moment will be pleasantly rewarded

There will be a lot of yahooing.cheering.......backslapping and bootscooting happening on onboard the boat

that day which i'm sure in the end will make the journey........oh so worth it!!!!!!!

fine effort boy's...... :thumbup:

Cheers Warnie...

Thanks warnie!!!!

Its experienced raiders like yourself and le pasha that keep giving us the pieces of the puzzel that get us a little closer to our goal that keep us going forward and learning more each time we go out..... And i still owe you some beers!!!!!

Edited by fishlexic

hi fishlexic,

sounds like a good time was had considering no beakies and trying conditions...

that would of been great getting that big dolly :biggrin2: .....

a day out on the ol briney with mates and bringing home a feed well it doesnt get much better than that but the elusive beakie im sure would of been great.....

oh well im sure its only a mater of time(not much longer hopefully eh) and i see you guys are definitely putting in the hard yards......

cheers.... steve...

Edited by roosterman

Yeah dont get me wrong guys it was still a great weekend!!!!! and i think we did pretty well considering the conditions, there was a club comp held out of coffs on the sunday so there was alot of boats out on sunday morning... like at least 50 i would think but when we came back in ours was the lone car at the ramp and we were in by 1pm so unless they had a very early weigh in i think the conditions must have turned a few away or things might have been a bit slow for many!!!!

The big 500 i didnt even realise!!!! My addiction is obviously getting worse!!!!!!!!

Mate well done on persisiting and going out on Sunday after a quiet first day...

Love the Dollie mate, that is one of my goals to get a big dollie like that...

COngrats, Im sure the beakie is only a few trips away

Mate well done on persisiting and going out on Sunday after a quiet first day...

Love the Dollie mate, that is one of my goals to get a big dollie like that...

COngrats, Im sure the beakie is only a few trips away

Thanks netic!!! the big dollie goal was one of mine till this year to so ive got that monkey of my back now!!!!

thanks to all the beaks will soon show still a couple of days left in coffs harbour fishlexic will be pretty pissed if we get our first bill onboard :05: if we don't. we shall do a further report later on have fun guys and merry christmas.